Fiat Coupe Club UK

Turbo Testing

Posted By: darthstinky

Turbo Testing - 27/07/2020 21:43

Hi Forum Folks

Anyone recommend a reputable firm to test a turbo?

Backgound....
My project 20vt car came with a spare turbo in the collection of spare parts! My car was purchased as a non-runner so I assume the previous owner purchased the turbo with the intention of swapping it out to troubleshoot the starting issue....

Current turbo seems fine, pulls like a train with near zero smoke output - so i've no reason to think there is an issue with the turbo fitted to the car.

Thanks

DS
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Turbo Testing - 28/07/2020 15:15

If the turbo on your car isn't giving issues, I wouldn't bother spending money having the spare turbo checked

Is it a standard turbo? If it is, there are three possible tell-tale signs of impending failure

1) is the inside of the turbine housing oily? It'll probably be quite sooty, but if it's damp, then the seals might be failing
2) put a finger in each end of the turbo and touch the ends of the shaft - try to wobble it side to sied. A tiny bit of movement is OK, but nothing that puts the blades on the intake side close to the housing
3) same test, but this time push it in and out, in line with the shaft. There should be no end play at all
Posted By: darthstinky

Re: Turbo Testing - 08/08/2020 07:54

Thanks Nigel

Good advance smile Did looks at a couple of youtube video on turbo testing too...

1. It’s been out of the engine for so long, evaporation I suspect will have removed any liquid oil residue
2 & 3 - yes, I did check for in-out and up-down movement and scoring on the inside of the housing - nothing obvious found. Some in-out movement but I’d associate this with the bearing and age.

Also span the impeller to see it if was smooth movement, which it was with no jerks or clucks - which I take as good news.

How reliable are the standard tubbies? Assuming you’re not abusing them by mapping to a higher boosting pressure, etc.. smile

Can’t decide if I’ll keep it as a spare or eBay it to fund my standard suspension springs;;;

DS

© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK