Fiat Coupe Club UK

Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle

Posted By: KevinW

Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 16/12/2020 20:33

I always seem to get a petrol like smell around the rear. No obvious leaks and the fuel tank remains pressurised. Any ideas?
Posted By: Kelv27

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 17/12/2020 05:38

Check the rubber seal on the top of the fuel pump carrier for cracks.
Posted By: jonnyboy54321

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 17/12/2020 07:53

tank cap seal?

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 17/12/2020 08:44

I replaced the cap seal. No difference. It holds pressure also.

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 17/12/2020 08:44

Kelv. Where is this exactly thanks?
Posted By: clanger

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 17/12/2020 11:45

Not Kelv but I don't think he will mind.

Lift boot carpet, back right in boot floor there is a round black plastic cover secured by 3 (iirc) small screws, remove this cover which exposes access to the fuel pump. You can then inspect the seal that Kelv refers to.
Posted By: Morrison

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 17/12/2020 12:07

Fuel filter? Above plastic cover that is just Infront of driver side rear wheel
Posted By: clanger

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 17/12/2020 13:37

The fuel supply line stays pressurized when engine off by non return valve in pump all the way through to the injectors. You can rule out fuel line leaks from pump hose connection through filter and all the way to injectors (unless your injectors are leaking) by difficult warm starting after a long run - a reduction in fuel line pressure causes the petrol to vaporize in the lines under the bonnet when hot. Unless you have this problem, my money is on Kelvs suggestion.

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 18/12/2020 01:57

Thanks for filling in for me Clanger smile

Kevin, the rubber seal is as seen in this picture.. the black ring at the top..
Pic

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 18/12/2020 09:57

Thanks guys. Took the panel off and there is definitely a whiff around the fuel pump so that look like the issue. No obvious leaks but probably the issue then. Will get a new seal before I dismantle! Is it easy to change. I assume just unplug everything, unscrew the top and stretch it over?
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 18/12/2020 10:11

Kevin, have a close look at the plastic unions on top of the fuelpump assembly - the pastic gets brittle with age and there have been several cases of these cracking or even shearing when disconnecting the lines

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 18/12/2020 14:34

OK. Had a look but nothing obvious. I could take the pipes off but may cause more damage. To be honest I don't thing I will bother fixing it as it isnt too bad. No signs of fluid and it seems you need a special tool to get the top ring off? If it was a simple fix I would do it.
Posted By: Rob40

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 18/12/2020 14:58

It just unscrews, shouldn't be any tighter than hand-tight. You might be able to readjust the rubber ring for a better seal.

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 18/12/2020 15:25

Originally Posted by KevinW
OK. Had a look but nothing obvious. I could take the pipes off but may cause more damage. To be honest I don't thing I will bother fixing it as it isnt too bad. No signs of fluid and it seems you need a special tool to get the top ring off? If it was a simple fix I would do it.

It is certainly a job you can undertake yourself..just be careful when disconnecting the hoses from the nozzle and avoid excessive force. As Edinburgh mentioned, they can be brittle.

If you are struggling to release the locking ring by hand as mentioned by Rob40, then you could use a large flat bladed screwdriver and hammer to ‘chisel’ the ring loose. Wrap the tip of the screwdriver with a piece of cloth to avoid knicking the plastic ring.

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 03/09/2021 13:56

Finally sorted this. It turns out it was just the plastic fuel can that I store in my garage quite close to the filler side of the car...Doh!. Plastic fuel cans always smell of petrol I find as some must be escaping through the walls. All sorted now - changed it to a metal one!
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 03/09/2021 15:22

That has to rank as the most labour-intensive non-fix ever undertaken on a coupé laugh
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 03/09/2021 15:37

Originally Posted by KevinW
Finally sorted this. It turns out it was just the plastic fuel can that I store in my garage quite close to the filler side of the car...Doh!. Plastic fuel cans always smell of petrol I find as some must be escaping through the walls. All sorted now - changed it to a metal one!

laugh
Posted By: respace

Re: Petrol whiff around rear of vehicle - 08/09/2021 15:59

This should have a "How to", 1st dismantle the whole car, reassemble, then move the petrol can next to the car, buy new petrol can.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK