Fiat Coupe Club UK

Steering notchy after sitting

Posted By: OnlyItalian

Steering notchy after sitting - 18/01/2021 14:08

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well.

My VIS has set for just over a year. Now when I turn the steering lock to lock I'm getting a nasty notchy feel and clunky sound.

I sucked out the power steering fluid which was completely black but it's not helped.

Anyone ever experienced the same problem. Wondering what it might be.

Cheers all.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Steering notchy after sitting - 18/01/2021 16:29

Guesses...

Steering rack. Are the rubber gaiters OK?
Track rod ends
Turret Top mounts
Steering column universal joint
Posted By: OnlyItalian

Re: Steering notchy after sitting - 18/01/2021 16:50

Thanks Gripped. Nice list of things for me to check there. Will get a friend to turn the steering for me while I have a listen.

Will report back of course.

Re: Steering notchy after sitting - 12/11/2021 13:25

Just thought I'd feed back on my rack issues.

Mine was also feeling notchy and started making some horrendous creaking noises which I initially thought was suspension like a joint or top mount. I changed the steering fluid which seemed to help for a week or two, but turns out my rack was knackered - excessive play after 106,000 miles of corners.

It must be love, because I've shelled out big bucks on getting the rack rebuilt, then while the subframe was off changed the ARB for a refurbed one from Joe at FCSS (thanks Joe) and they also fitted polybushes at the same time.

Car steers like new now. But then it should after what it cost me.... cry

The entire front suspension, brakes, wishbones etc has now been replaced. Now it's time to tackle the rear !

Then once all the mechanics are finished, time for a respray. chinny
Posted By: french_coupe

Re: Steering notchy after sitting - 12/11/2021 13:28

A labour of love Toby.
Sounds like an excuse for a day out on the twisties.

Re: Steering notchy after sitting - 12/11/2021 13:32

Hey Frazer !

Yeah, it was nice to get it back, Was in the garage for about a month while they waited for the rack to come back.

Looking forward to some Welsh road action.

How are your Coupe's? I remember the seats you had done - v nice, My drivers seat needs doing.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Steering notchy after sitting - 12/11/2021 13:57

Originally Posted by Gripped

The entire front suspension, brakes, wishbones etc has now been replaced. Now it's time to tackle the rear !

They did actually find a way to avoid having to paint the Forth Railway Bridge, continually, Toby chinny
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Steering notchy after sitting - 12/11/2021 15:15

Just thought I'd feed back on my rack issues.

Mine was also feeling notchy and started making some horrendous creaking noises which I initially thought was suspension like a joint or top mount. I changed the steering fluid which seemed to help for a week or two, but turns out my rack was knackered - excessive play after 106,000 miles of corners.

It must be love, because I've shelled out big bucks on getting the rack rebuilt, then while the subframe was off changed the ARB for a refurbed one from Joe at FCSS (thanks Joe) and they also fitted polybushes at the same time.

Car steers like new now. But then it should after what it cost me.... cry

thumb

Re: Steering notchy after sitting - 12/11/2021 17:13

Originally Posted by Edinburgh

They did actually find a way to avoid having to paint the Forth Railway Bridge, continually, Toby chinny

I know. It is definitely Trigger's Broom. wink
Posted By: french_coupe

Re: Steering notchy after sitting - 13/11/2021 06:21

I still have both coupes. Now both registered here in Bulgaria. This is now the 4th country that Karen’s car has been registered in.
I need to get some work done on both but need a garage building. Just received planning so getting there.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK