Fiat Coupe Club UK

Advice on selling a dying coupe?

Posted By: Dan_B

Advice on selling a dying coupe? - 20/01/2021 16:34

Hey All,

I have reached an unfortunate stage where my coop has given up. Started up the the other day and while it will start it dies very soon after with revs dropping into the <500 range so I usually cut it off at that point. Holding the throttle open doesn't really help either aside for the very first moments.

Unfortunately having spent quite a bit on keeping it in a fairly good shape and running over the last couple years I can't commit much more to it. I expect the car may need an engine rebuild at this stage and having COVID strangle my work I definitely cannot afford that (or to have the issue diagnosed & fixed).

Feel awful about the idea of scrapping it due to full history, keys, and all the other original booklets etc, but don't imagine there is much of a market for coop non-starters. Any advice from you guys on what you would do with this?

Absolutely in love with the car but have to face the facts, I need money and the best value may be in removing the alloys and radiator (both mint & upmarket) scrapping the car and selling those bits separately.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? - 20/01/2021 17:46

Other then it cutting out what's up with?

I might be interested in it as a parts car.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? - 20/01/2021 17:55

How much time have you spent diagnosing and troubleshooting the problem(s) with help from the Forum? It could be something as simple as a loose hose on the inlet air piping from turbo via intercooler to ICV...
Posted By: adam16vt

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? - 20/01/2021 18:15

Have pm’d you smile
Posted By: respace

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? - 21/01/2021 11:11

The fault you describe doesn't sound that horrendous, obviously depends on what else is wrong/condition etc. It's usually rust not mechanicals that finishes them off.

Don't know if it's any use to you but there is a non-running 16vt on Ebay for £2k.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? - 21/01/2021 11:31

Originally Posted by Dan_B
Hey All,

I have reached an unfortunate stage where my coop has given up. Started up the the other day and while it will start it dies very soon after with revs dropping into the <500 range so I usually cut it off at that point. Holding the throttle open doesn't really help either aside for the very first moments.

Unfortunately having spent quite a bit on keeping it in a fairly good shape and running over the last couple years I can't commit much more to it. I expect the car may need an engine rebuild at this stage and having COVID strangle my work I definitely cannot afford that (or to have the issue diagnosed & fixed).

Feel awful about the idea of scrapping it due to full history, keys, and all the other original booklets etc, but don't imagine there is much of a market for coop non-starters. Any advice from you guys on what you would do with this?

Absolutely in love with the car but have to face the facts, I need money and the best value may be in removing the alloys and radiator (both mint & upmarket) scrapping the car and selling those bits separately.

Dan_B, I understand your dilemma. Please take a moment to read through the aims of our club, which I quote here:

Started in 2002 to ensure the longevity of its members' cars. Run by its members and under the form of a non profit organisation, it promotes the cars via close relationships with magazines, runs the Forum where owners can share knowledge and experiences, arranges meetings, offers help with modifications and further develops the cars and replacements parts.

What contributors to your thread have pointed out is that, in the context of the above quote referring to the desire to keep coupés healthy and running for as long as possible, your problem may not be insurmountable.

Almost anything is repairable, even the devastation that aggressive tin-worm wreaks on certain target points. The chances of a solution to your problem, which is either mechanical or electrical, are likely to be far higher unless you have a catastrophic engine failure - but even that can be attended to.

Talking of breaking or scrapping on here is done through clenched teeth in accordance with the ethos stated above. There is so much experience on this forum, compared to the dwindling knowledge of coupé maintenance around the country, that it would surprise me if an answer or at least a lead were not forthcoming.

Long live the Fiat Coupé smile
Posted By: Dan_B

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? - 21/01/2021 18:36

Hi guys,

Apologies for not being straight back to you, had a bit of DIY that needed some urgent attention!

@Edinburgh Many thanks for the advice! I fully appreciate the aim of the club and sentiment of its goals in ensuring the longevity of the vehicles. I do not bring up scrapping the car with ease as it certainly has a place in my heart, however with things being rather tight at the moment I am unsure if I can still finance maintaining the car even if I can finance the diagnostic and repairs - though perhaps I am having a bit of a knee-jerk reaction!

I understand the common faults are often not mechanical with these cars as mentioned above, though I had originally bought the car with a friend that was much more mechanically minded than myself. He had the tools, general know-how and space to work on the car properly but now I am the sole owner. Sucks to admit but I am not educated enough or have the equipment to start pulling it apart solo and actually know what I'm looking at. I couldn't risk the potential massive amount of hours required to pay for a diagnosis, if a lot of disassembly is required.

As members are showing some interest in the car I will take some pictures and do a proper run-down when it is light tomorrow morning so there is more information for you.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? - 21/01/2021 20:27

Originally Posted by Dan_B
Hi guys,

Apologies for not being straight back to you, had a bit of DIY that needed some urgent attention!

@Edinburgh Many thanks for the advice! I fully appreciate the aim of the club and sentiment of its goals in ensuring the longevity of the vehicles. I do not bring up scrapping the car with ease as it certainly has a place in my heart, however with things being rather tight at the moment I am unsure if I can still finance maintaining the car even if I can finance the diagnostic and repairs - though perhaps I am having a bit of a knee-jerk reaction!

I understand the common faults are often not mechanical with these cars as mentioned above, though I had originally bought the car with a friend that was much more mechanically minded than myself. He had the tools, general know-how and space to work on the car properly but now I am the sole owner. Sucks to admit but I am not educated enough or have the equipment to start pulling it apart solo and actually know what I'm looking at. I couldn't risk the potential massive amount of hours required to pay for a diagnosis, if a lot of disassembly is required.

As members are showing some interest in the car I will take some pictures and do a proper run-down when it is light tomorrow morning so there is more information for you.

Best post in Technical for that then thumb
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? - 21/01/2021 22:28

Originally Posted by Countrycruising
Other then it cutting out what's up with? .

Dan I'm still very interested to know more, or help so do please give me a call, I'd rather see it survive in comparison to possibly being parts!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK