Fiat Coupe Club UK

Bank Robbery

Posted By: PaulL

Bank Robbery - 23/01/2021 17:11

I've done the bank job, and Monday the coupe goes off for a respray. It has chips and wear and tear all over along with lacquer peel and the start of rust here and there. The underside doesn't show too much rust, so hopefully exterior is reasonable.
My car is speed red which I intend continuing with.
Unless, someone has and recommendations for a slightly different shade.
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: Bank Robbery - 24/01/2021 06:52

I had my car resprayed last year and considered a colour change but ended up keeping it the original steel grey. I think if you are looking to keep the car a good while and can look after it post respray either with keeping it garaged or under cover it will hold its value better sticking with the original colour.

Re: Bank Robbery - 24/01/2021 10:50

Thanks. That is how I think. However, one of the Ferrari reds might be brighter and more interesting.
Posted By: respace

Re: Bank Robbery - 24/01/2021 15:54

"I've done the bank job", unless there's CCTV I'd always advise to plead innocent.

Certainly think keeping it as original as possible, including the colour, helps hold up the value as above.
Posted By: slime500

Re: Bank Robbery - 24/01/2021 18:51

What are the approximate costs of a respray? I realise it depends on the amount of prep, glass in/out, etc. Just after some budget costs.

Thanks!
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Bank Robbery - 24/01/2021 19:43

I've been looking into it.

Anywhere between £2000 to £3000 for a full spray. If you do some prep yourself you might save a bit.

I've heard that glass out isn't 100% necessary these days. Especially as seals can be hard to find.

Re: Bank Robbery - 24/01/2021 20:00

The base price for my respray is less than above. Once stripped back and sanded we will review. I am mindful that a concourse quality respray is beyond the value of the car. I'm doing it to protect against rust, and to give me a surface that I will enjoy cleaning. The screen is to stay in, mainly because of a chip that I fear may lead to a significant problem if the screen is stressed. My glass man also has concerns regarding obtaining new seals. Maybe someone else can comment. Neil from Italia Autos today started a coupe respray, keeping the screen in. Check him out on YouTube.

Re: Bank Robbery - 24/01/2021 21:10

Thanks for the responses. I would be interested to hear more of the options and costs that people have encountered.

My Coupe would definitely benefit from all paint matching! I don’t need a concourse job as I’d be too nervous about driving it and I do love to drive the Coupe.

It’s really about attending to all the little chips and marks that have appeared over its life.
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: Bank Robbery - 24/01/2021 23:14

I have a local bodyshop that has taken care of the family’s cars including my daughters when needed and I got a good price. I stripped all the trim / badges myself before it went in and refitted after and the glass stayed in as windscreen trims are hard to come by. The cost was just over £1500
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Bank Robbery - 25/01/2021 11:20

Originally Posted by PaulL
My glass man also has concerns regarding obtaining new seals. Maybe someone else can comment. .

Seals were a problem about 12 years ago when I had my windscreen replaced. The non-OEM that were initially fitted leaked like mad, Fortunately they had still got the original one which was then reused. No leaks since.
Posted By: 386ka

Re: Bank Robbery - 25/01/2021 11:49

As far as I know, the seals on the Coupe do not actually seal the windscreen and are mostly cosmetic - it's all down to the polyurethane that's used to glue the windscreen.

Re: Bank Robbery - 25/01/2021 11:54

Also my understanding to as with most modern cars. Having just removed my interior trim you can definitely see black sealant on the inside. I'm pretty sure mine is original too.. But still need the rubber seal to complete the fitment otherwise it'll look crap.

Re: Bank Robbery - 25/01/2021 12:58

Sounds like it’s best to keep the glass in...
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Bank Robbery - 25/01/2021 14:02

I believe paintshops these days have access to excellent tools which allow the seals to be raised, avoiding the need for glass-out resprays more often than in times past.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Bank Robbery - 25/01/2021 16:42

Yes, you can lift the outer edge of most seals and tape them back out of the way, we did that when we resprayed my car a few years back.

The rear screen seal can be removed entirely: it only fits round the glass, it needs to be stretched when refitting, Hot water soak is the answer.

Re: Bank Robbery - 25/01/2021 18:10

Thanks for your comments.
Car dropped off this morning. It feels weird being without it.
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Bank Robbery - 26/01/2021 14:49

My car is speed red which I intend continuing with.
Unless, someone has and recommendations for a slightly different shade.

Everyone on the forum knows its the very best colour coat - I wouldn't alter it.

Will be interested to see how yours comes back. A glass in re-spray is one of the things on the cards for my coupe at some future point. To have it all one colour again and not stone chipped would be great.

Be keen to see how yours turns out-good luck with the project!

Regards

MM

Re: Bank Robbery - 28/01/2021 19:20

Popped into the spray shop this afternoon. The car is stripped and roof and driver's side sanded back. As I thought, the world and his brother has had a go at the paint over the years, so will all need sanding and priming. Saying that, there is very little surface rust. A little amount of rust to exposed underbody members, so I'll get them done. Base price has now increased by £250. As the initial price was very fair, I'm pleased to agree this.
Next visit will be Tuesday next week.

I am sticking with Speed red.
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Bank Robbery - 28/01/2021 23:01

Hope it goes well.
Be wary of driving the vehicle too much straight after the respray, until the paint has had the chance to fully harden.
My coupe bonnet quickly picked up a few annoying chips shortly after respraying.

Re: Bank Robbery - 28/01/2021 23:01

Hope it goes well.
Be wary of driving the vehicle too much straight after the respray, until the paint has had the chance to fully harden.
My coupe bonnet quickly picked up a few annoying chips shortly after respraying.

Re: Bank Robbery - 29/01/2021 13:35

Thanks for that Brilly. Any advice on washing and waxing afterwards. I've heard that I should be avoid detailing for at least two months. The car lives outside.
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: Bank Robbery - 29/01/2021 19:18

Yes, at least a couple of months before waxing was the advice I was given after my windows in respray last year.

One thing I would mention is that after the respray was an odd time for me because once all of the dinks and blemishes were gone it didn’t feel like my car at first. I had gotten used to all of those little things that I knew were there but nobody else noticed if that make sense.

Re: Bank Robbery - 29/01/2021 20:41

Hello Pete

Yes I anticipate that anything electrical that's been disconnected won't work and that the the 612 rattles and knocks will increase ten fold.

However, it MIGHT all be perfect !

Re: Bank Robbery - 29/01/2021 20:41

That's the trouble with having a "perfect" car - you do not want to use it! crazy

Re: Bank Robbery - 29/01/2021 22:28

I need to use it. I want to get into Coupe Spotting !

Might have to see myself in shop windows

Re: Bank Robbery - 30/01/2021 21:14

I need to use it. I want to get into Coupe Spotting !

Might have to see myself in shop windows

It will be your best chance of seeing another coupe during the winter months. tongue

Re: Bank Robbery - 11/02/2021 22:02

Cars home and looking wonderful !

I'll start going over it to find any snags over the next few days, but I am happy.
I need to clean out internal dust and detail the engine area.

No rust of any significance found. However, the car may have gone through a hedge backwards, as there were dinks all over.

Unfortunately, the boot badge broke during removal, so advice please on best place to source one.

On the drive home, no extra rattles, so one happy owner !

Re: Bank Robbery - 13/02/2021 10:25

Mine is also due for a respray so will compare notes!

As for rear badge, there are quite a few on the Web, but check the dimensions before purchasing as some are bigger.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK