Fiat Coupe Club UK

Remaining creak sorted and fixed seat

Posted By: KevinW

Remaining creak sorted and fixed seat - 08/05/2021 18:45

I thought I had diligently removed all persistent creaks and rattles but I had a very annoying creak coming from the drivers seat. It basically only happens when the back is forced back, but was quite loud and happened over every large bump and sway of the car. Took the panels off the seat and wd40'd everything in sight that could have caused it, to no avail. Spent a couple of hours on it, scratching my head.

Finally discovered one of the front bolts that hold the seat down was slightly loose. The seat was basically moving here and rubbing near the bolt. Soon fixed it then!

The other minor issue was that the lumber support adjustment was mostly ineffective. In my investigations of the creak I took the back off and discovered the fixing that holds the adjustment wire had broken away from the seat frame on the right, meaning the wire was too loose. No way of fixing it but folded a towel and placed it behind the wire to tighten it just enough....as it tightens it forces the seat middle forward via a runner. Very simple fix and works a treat!

So afternoon well spent in all!
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Remaining creak sorted and fixed seat - 10/05/2021 12:44

Good result!

Squeaky leather (not the grab handles on the head rest as they have already had felt patches added to stop them squeaking) from both front seats continue to reduce the enjoyment of the open road.

I suspect-but keep forgetting to do it- that a small section of material between the back of the chair and the seat bolster would resolve most noises. I'll also just double check the bolts.

Until then...its mickey mouse time in the car.

Regards

MM
Posted By: respace

Re: Remaining creak sorted and fixed seat - 11/05/2021 11:07

Curiously mine failed it's MOT on loose seat bolts, not exactly difficult to rectify but I hadn't noticed! Is this another coop issue to look forward to as they age?
Posted By: KevinW

Re: Remaining creak sorted and fixed seat - 12/05/2021 14:01

I think in my case I didn't tighten them enough as I replaced the full set with leather and the front bolts are a bit of a stretch to reach with my toolset.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK