Fiat Coupe Club UK

Steering Wheel Lock

Posted By: slime500

Steering Wheel Lock - 17/06/2021 20:20

I was thinking about buying a steering wheel lock. Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Also, will it help reduce my insurance premium?

Many thanks in advance.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Steering Wheel Lock - 18/06/2021 08:47

To be honest, I can't remember more than one or two Coupes being stolen in the many years I've been on the forum. They are almost impossible to drive away without the key, and are rare enough that they would be spotted quite quickly if they were driven around. They are also rare enough that there's very little demand for spares, so they are unlikely to be stolen "to order" - they certainly wouldn't get the same demand as if they were breaking (say) a BMW M3

I know of one owner who was relieved of his Coupe at knifepoint! while waiting at a set of traffic lights - in those circumstances, a steering wheel lock would only be of use as a defensive weapon.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with any security over and above the standard immobiliser. Just make sure you don't leave your keys right by the front door so that a burglar can lift them quickly.
Posted By: Alan_K

Re: Steering Wheel Lock - 18/06/2021 09:40

With majority of people having them on some sort of classic car insurance policy I would imagine there wouldn’t be much if any change on the insurance with a steering wheel lock

Also the boot isn’t that big to begin with if your having to cart that about
Posted By: G_Man

Re: Steering Wheel Lock - 18/06/2021 12:13

There are a few recent articles stating that mechanical devices are back in fashion as a visual deterrence in the age of keyless entry cars. They haven't development much since I had one 20 years ago but I suppose they're restricted bearing in mind their main purpose.
Posted By: slime500

Re: Steering Wheel Lock - 18/06/2021 12:16

Originally Posted by Nigel
To be honest, I can't remember more than one or two Coupes being stolen in the many years I've been on the forum. They are almost impossible to drive away without the key, and are rare enough that they would be spotted quite quickly if they were driven around. They are also rare enough that there's very little demand for spares, so they are unlikely to be stolen "to order" - they certainly wouldn't get the same demand as if they were breaking (say) a BMW M3

I know of one owner who was relieved of his Coupe at knifepoint! while waiting at a set of traffic lights - in those circumstances, a steering wheel lock would only be of use as a defensive weapon.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with any security over and above the standard immobiliser. Just make sure you don't leave your keys right by the front door so that a burglar can lift them quickly.

Thanks Nigel & Alan_K. I keep it in a garage which a couple of miles form my house. Its in a dense residential area so there is good local surveillance. The alarm was remove years ago, but the immobiliser is still thee of course. I generally take the negative off the battery if I know I wont drive it for some while nad that would probably be enough to confuse a would-be thief!
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Steering Wheel Lock - 18/06/2021 13:13

Originally Posted by G_Man
There are a few recent articles stating that mechanical devices are back in fashion as a visual deterrence in the age of keyless entry cars. They haven't development much since I had one 20 years ago but I suppose they're restricted bearing in mind their main purpose.

The main purpose of most steering locks appears to be to make it easier to break the ignition lock. People are very bad at fitting those club-type locks the way they need to be, so they're simply a convenient lever...

I'm with Nigel; I never bothered with anything more than the Fiat immobiliser on mine.
Posted By: HiraethHuw

Re: Steering Wheel Lock - 18/06/2021 20:31

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/95031/best-steering-wheel-locks-2021%3famp
I’m a fan of wheel locks.
A Stoplock saved my mk2 Astra years ago. The low life were disturbed half way sawing through the steering wheel.
Surely any extra deterrent helps.Autoexpress link
Posted By: Ali_and_Marvin

Re: Steering Wheel Lock - 19/06/2021 13:00

This thread reminded me of a masterpiece of engineering made by a chap to protect his Ginetta kit car. It covered the steering wheel, peddles and gear stick! biglaugh

Photos attached I hope.

Attached picture Sywell 18 03.jpg
Attached picture Sywell 18 04.jpg

Re: Steering Wheel Lock - 21/06/2021 12:41

I've got one of these lock devices on my wallet thumb Wears a hole in my pocket though grr
Posted By: AyliCarper

Re: Steering Wheel Lock - 21/06/2021 14:20

Jalopy magazine once gave the ultimate car security tip: Buy an Austin Allegro and hand paint it in gold hammerite.
Posted By: Burty

Re: Steering Wheel Lock - 24/06/2021 19:45

I swear by Disklok especially after one of the old TV car shows had a 'car tealeaf' attempt to break into it and after 30 minutes he hadn't managed it. They are heavy and awkward to carry in the car but imo they are a strong visual deterrent.
Posted By: Burty

Re: Steering Wheel Lock - 24/06/2021 19:53

...even better in stereo rolleyes

Re: Steering Wheel Lock - 25/06/2021 18:38

laugh sorted thumb
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK