Fiat Coupe Club UK

So sad my 20v 2.0 turbo engine go bang!!

Posted By: twostring

So sad my 20v 2.0 turbo engine go bang!! - 28/06/2021 19:23

Hi my 20V 2.0 coupe may need an engine rebuild or replacement. Its been very lumpy on start up as Ive not used it much this year but after a couple of minutes it settles down. I was out for a spin and it died on me I had it towed back and checked the cylinder pressures they were all above 150psi. No emulsion in the rocker cover, oil level ok, coolant level ok. Fired it up and it started ok but when revved there was a tapping not a knocking like a bottom end. I had an Alfa 75 3.0 that let go at the bottom and it sounded like a tank, so Im not sure its that.

Ive had the cylinder head removed and am waiting to hear what they say. Ive had the car nearly 16 years but I'm expecting the worst, I would like to get it repaired and was planning to get the one or two bits of bodywork that need doing.

If I find that the engine is knackered or the bottom end is gone what kind of a job is it to get fixed? and who can do it?

Is it better to get another engine reconditioned and then get them swapped out?

Should I just get rid and buy a Skoda Fabia?

Thanks for any advice
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: So sad my 20v 2.0 turbo engine go bang!! - 28/06/2021 23:14

Hi twostring, I'm tempted to say welcome to the forum but since this is your first post in over 15 years I'm more tempted to offer you congratulations for sticking around!

I hope you find a solution as you've also been loyal to your coupé...
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: So sad my 20v 2.0 turbo engine go bang!! - 29/06/2021 08:50

Sounds like you've spun a shell bearing so the crank will need either regrinding or swapping out for a good second with new shells. The engine, turbo and oil cooler will be full of white metal so it'll need fully stripping to make sure you don't contaminate anything after the rebuild, cheapest option is replace the engine with a known second hand unit, if I can help give FCSS a call 01684 593187.
Posted By: twostring

Re: So sad my 20v 2.0 turbo engine go bang!! - 30/06/2021 10:51

Thanks for the info I’ve not seen any metal bits but I’ll look into it. I joined the forum a little after I bought the car and because so little has gone wrong with it I’ve not needed to post yet
Posted By: respace

Re: So sad my 20v 2.0 turbo engine go bang!! - 30/06/2021 14:41

Originally Posted by twostring
Thanks for the info I’ve not seen any metal bits but I’ll look into it. I joined the forum a little after I bought the car and because so little has gone wrong with it I’ve not needed to post yet

Now there's something you don't see very often!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK