Fiat Coupe Club UK

A cautionary tale....

Posted By: Nigel

A cautionary tale.... - 14/10/2021 13:46

I'm gradually selling my stash of Coupe spares. One of the more valuable items to sell was an unused Plus camcover - it was immaculate and was destined for my own Coupe until I sold it.

I packed it extremely well, with copious amounts of bubble-wrap and air-pocket packing. I went to the post office and (as usual) they asked what was in the parcel - I told them it was a car part. I asked about compensation and was told I was covered up to £200 as standard.

The next bit is obvious - it arrived at the buyer with the box battered and holed and sadly, the camcover was broken.

I claimed from Parcel Farce, only to be told they don't provide ANY compensation for vehicle parts. They blamed their "mechanical sorting machinery", which is either a complete cop out, or it's the in-house description for the sub-species twonk in the despatch department who loads the trucks by throwing / kicking the items on board.

So - if you're posting ANY car parts that are even remotely valuable, steer well clear of Parcel Force.

FWIW, this story has also gone to BBC watchdog - I'm properly annoyed and anyone that's been on this forum for long enough to remember the 20VT exhaust manifold story will know what I can be like when I get wound up.....
Posted By: DaveG

Re: A cautionary tale.... - 14/10/2021 16:19

Bummer, but good luck with the claim.

From the ParcelFarce website they list "Car Parts (Car doors, bonnets, bumpers, body parts)" as on the "Prohibited and restricted" list and also say that "Automotive vehicle parts and body work for example but not limited to doors, bumpers, headlights and other large body parts or panels" are excluded from compensation for damage. In fact there's so many things excluded from damage compensation you have to wonder if it's worth sending anything...
Posted By: szkom

Re: A cautionary tale.... - 14/10/2021 16:22

That's gutting to hear. I can vouch for the level of thought that goes into your packaging. Someone has gone to some trouble to damage the parcel's contents.

I guess a slight positive is that by apologising have they admitted fault? You could try a different spin and call the cover memorabilia? It's sounds like they've said sorry and tried for a loophole
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: A cautionary tale.... - 14/10/2021 17:16

Rotten luck Nigel, I hope your path through Watchdog produces a result..
Posted By: AyliCarper

Re: A cautionary tale.... - 17/10/2021 15:50

I feel so sorry for you. I've had two trivial-to-anyone-else but absolutely unreplaceable items go astray (in one case, destroyed by Royal Mail without appeal and with no good reason) and even if I'd had compensation, it could never match the simple request for a carrier to look after something properly wrapped and paid for.
Posted By: Burty

Re: A cautionary tale.... - 28/10/2021 18:32

Absolutely a cautionary tale - my condolences to both Nigel and the purchaser - how do they manage to be so lacking in any care and pride in doing their job grr It seems the only safe way to buy/sell anything rare now is to bite the bullet and pick it up in person
Posted By: barnacle

Re: A cautionary tale.... - 29/10/2021 17:08

The crazy thing is that I can send a five thousand euro paraglider wing through the post here in Germany for its biannual inspection (legally required) with insurance for up to twenty-five grand (costs from memory are about six euros over the post for two and a half grand and about twenty euros for the twenty-five). About the only things you can't insure are cash, bearer negotiable whatsits, coins, and jewellery.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK