Fiat Coupe Club UK

What is your favourite tool?

Posted By: AyliCarper

What is your favourite tool? - 09/08/2022 14:11

At that vital moment today a tiny black self-tapping screw jumped out of a hole, bounced on the sill of the car and threw itself onto the drive. Huffing and puffing, looking around, trying to work out where it could have gone, couldn't find it. Didn't want to use a not-quite-the-same-you-know-it-will-either-fall-out-or-butcher-the-hole one. Thought of a tool I'd bought a while back*, wafted it around, sighed at my stupidity, shoved it under the lavender bushes a bit, threw it under the car, half-heartedly moved it around the bricks right in front of my nose a bit more, lifted it up, and ... the screw was actually on it!

What's your favourite tool?

(* I bought it, searching for the very cheapest strong magnet and rope option on eBay, to fish a rather good 3/8 ratchet out of the bottom of a 4500 litre water tank. It's tiny but can allegedly hold onto 14kg.)

Attached picture IMG_20220809_144117.jpg
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: What is your favourite tool? - 09/08/2022 15:27

I confess to finding this related implement extremely useful

Attached picture Extendable magnet1.jpg
Attached picture Extendable magnet2.jpg
Posted By: Gripped

Re: What is your favourite tool? - 09/08/2022 16:11

Agree with the above. Magnet on a stick / rope is essential for any car / DIY buff. It's like fishing, but for car parts.

Must admit I love my DeWalt impact driver and impact wrench.

If we are just talking simple stuff then I can't imagine life without my Swiss Army knife...

Oh and my trolley jack.
And my 3 torque wrenches...
And mig welder.

(essential if you own a 22 year old Fiat). wink
Posted By: DaveG

Re: What is your favourite tool? - 09/08/2022 16:40

I found an extendable magnet "pen" like Edinburgh has in the engine compartment of my 124 Spider after a service. My limited experience with an impact wrench (not had it long) has only been partly successful: some rusty bolts still refuse to move frown but a set of Hilki bolt extractors have been very useful, along with a heat gun. I still have nearly all of a socket set that my Mum bought for me some 45 years ago (Kamasa, not Snap-On) and when I attended an Engineering Practice 1 course when first starting work, I made a nice set of 4 x axle stands, which are currently supporting 2 x Fiat Coupes. I have a set of long low-rise ramps that have also proved their worth over time, as have the Sykes ACR code readers and pods. My favourite tool is maybe the long handled breaker bar, but then again I've been making good use of my brake pipe flaring tool recently...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What is your favourite tool? - 09/08/2022 16:53

My most useful tool that I wish I'd had at last a decade sooner is an induction heater. No matter how rusty the bolt (yes, really) it'll come out like a new bolt in under 2 mins with this.

Attached picture induct.jpg
Posted By: Gripped

Re: What is your favourite tool? - 09/08/2022 19:30

I add that to my wishlist.....
Posted By: Submariner

Re: What is your favourite tool? - 09/08/2022 19:54

Boris Johnson......
Posted By: AyliCarper

Re: What is your favourite tool? - 09/08/2022 20:53

There's almost something indecent about an induction heat gun. (Almost.)

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I must admit I made this comment today under an article in the Times about our Prime Minister's honeymoon: "They went to Slovenia because it has the word 'love' hidden in its name. Wouldn't Scunthorpe have been more appropriate?"
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: What is your favourite tool? - 09/08/2022 21:30

Originally Posted by GrahamL
My most useful tool that I wish I'd had at last a decade sooner is an induction heater. No matter how rusty the bolt (yes, really) it'll come out like a new bolt in under 2 mins with this.

"Group Buy" ....a must for every Coupé owner!
Posted By: bockers

Re: What is your favourite tool? - 16/08/2022 11:28

Ultrasonic cleaner. Great for cleaning all parts. Also doubles as a jewellery cleaner so I have had no complaints about buying it.
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: What is your favourite tool? - 18/08/2022 05:44

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I must admit I made this comment today under an article in the Times about our Prime Minister's honeymoon: "They went to Slovenia because it has the word 'love' hidden in its name. Wouldn't Scunthorpe have been more appropriate?"

I love that smile
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK