Fiat Coupe Club UK

just had bonnet flip up at 60mph

Posted By: Anonymous

just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 00:25

I'm ok luckily, could have been nasty.
I had just changed a headlight bulb in the dark outside halfords and mustn't have noticed the bonnet hadn't slammed.
I did notice the beam was a bit high but I just thought I had knocked an adjuster or something...

Coop is a bit of a mess, smashed screen, dented roof busted headlights etc.
Looks like a write off to be honest

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 00:27

Gutted for you Mitch, but as you say that could have been a lot worse. The main thing is, you're ok.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 00:28

dam man,

sorry to hear that.
Posted By: JimO

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 00:28

Bad news but sounds a lucky escape

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 00:29

Yeah, I do feel lucky in a strange way. I had just fixed it as well

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 00:34

Mate had that happen in his 156 v6, went to his mum's to show her his pretty engine, then drove half way home and bang, luckily he was alright, glad to hear that you are too

Think coupes are probably the worst car I can think of that this can happen to as the bonnet is so big, AND it houses the headlights.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 00:36

Bad luck Mitch, it must not even have caught on the bonnet catch

I once drove all the way to Oxford from High Wycombe up the M40 at, err, a rate of knots. When I got there I couldn't work out why the alarm wouldn't set properly, until I realised the bonnet was open!! But it had caght on it's catch, which was enough to hold it luckily.

Hope you can sort it.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 00:49

Drove 140 miles in 2 days with my bonnet on the catch a few days ago. I was thinking all the while "I am sure these headlights have got better"

Given what has happened to you, I count myself lucky. I dread to think what would have happened at silly speeds on the M4!

Frightening.
Posted By: GraemeC

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 01:00

Also drove 15 motorway miles last week with the bonnet held down by only the catch after checking the water

At least you're ok Mitch, could have been really nasty

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 01:10

Its scary, when I was 18 I had a 1966 volvo amazon

Had worked on it over the weekend, drove to work on monday and the bonnet flew up and folded over the roof (big long strong bonnets!) in rush hour in the outside lane! Someone then nicked it off the side of the road while it was waiting to be recovered! Blo*dy scary.

The person I just sold my bonnet to had the same thing happen - Ive got headlights and screen still though...

Bad luck mate

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 01:25

and i have a bonnet!
Posted By: mattB

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 01:28

Sorry to hear that mitch.

Glad you got away from it ok though.
Posted By: Tartandude

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 01:50

Mitch, glad your okay ,as others have said could of been a lot worse.

Same thing happened to me in my AX GT, very scary

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 01:52

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 02:10

Very sorry to hear that mate, glad your alrite tho.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 02:12

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f309/mitch20vt/asmash4.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f309/mitch20vt/asmash3.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f309/mitch20vt/asmash2.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f309/mitch20vt/asmash1.jpg

its gone off to the insurance yard now

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 02:18

Ouch - that feels like a kick in the nuts just to look at - gota sting for you.

Shame its gone to insurance already - the car looks too nice to write off.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 02:19

Mitch,

That looks a lot worse than I was thinking

New Bonnet/Windscreen = write off? Hope not
Posted By: came2dance

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 02:21

Thats really bad news Mitch bet it gave you a fright

I might be too optimistic but it's not necessarily a write off. Bonnet and windscreen should see you right i reckon
Posted By: dazzle

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 02:25

Don't write it off! Carl can probably sell you what's required at reasonable cost.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 02:27

As soon as the roof is dented, you're looking at a write-off.

Bad news, but as has been said many times already, you're still here and you'll probably find another Coupe.

Look at Militia's thread in Anything Else and tell yourself how fortunate you really are.
Posted By: zak

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 02:30

Good to hear you're ok Mitch.

Bonnet, lights, windscrean, and some work on the roof skin?

It's the labour that kills the repair.

You could submit estimates quoting for used parts to keep the cost down if you don't want it written off. Depends how much you want to keep the car I suppose.
Posted By: Genic

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 02:37

mitch gutted for you mate ,have driven around with the bonnet only on the catch , it seems to be too easy to do,G
Posted By: Theresa

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 02:51

Gutted for you , but glad you're ok

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 02:54

Thats a very lucky escape Mitch but bad news on coop front.

What have insurance co said??

If someone comes out to assess and they have it towed off id get what you could out of it and then when you get the report back saying its a goner say theres some bits still in it you want and you need to pick them up and use it as a chance to get everything you can from it after they have valued it. You may laugh but if you get all the bulbs off it and other things you could need like wipers and stuff they probably wouldnt notice them missing untill she has gone and sold and when you work out what they are worth as new items and could save you on your next coop or car certainly worth it

but matey i am gutted for you after changing that cat as well
Posted By: bridges

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 03:14

Think they will write it off as insurance will look at it as being a new roof panel new screen and new bonnet. However I would dare bet £10 that roof will pop back meaning just a respray fading in down the A and C pillars. Carl has bonnets in, I think. You could always have it written off and buy it back from the insurance people for peanuts.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 03:34

I think the roof has taken a fair whack looking at the shape of the bonnet so I think its write off for sure. I might buy it back if they only want peanuts because mechanically its very good, have to wait and see I guess.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 03:46

sorry to hear the bad news mitch! do you think you'll get another coop? maybe in red this time???

i'm guessing the drivers seat is ruined now, from the stain you would have made when the bonnet came up!!!

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 05:32

Quote:

I think the roof has taken a fair whack looking at the shape of the bonnet so I think its write off for sure. I might buy it back if they only want peanuts because mechanically its very good, have to wait and see I guess.

What are those dark shapes circling up above it in the sky?
Posted By: Darlo_Nick

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 06:23

Really sorry to hear that mitch, but hopefully you will get yourself another coop!
Posted By: simonj

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 06:33

Sorry to hear this, its easily done though as many have testified on here! I did it on a meet and couldn't work out why the alarm would arm and then again on the M4 on the way home at about 100 or so the whole thing started vibrating as it was only held on by the catch. The guy who bought it off me did the same when he test drove it - er, its a feature of the car.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 07:05

Thanks everyone for the condolences. I have been out for a few drinks so feeling more mellow now.
Planning a trip to Preston BCA tomorrow to get a cheap runabout, just can't be without a car where I live.
Posted By: Cappo

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 14:57

I've4 had it happen to me twice, in two different Land Rovers.

One was a mate's, he'd just bought it and I was driving it back for him, V8 powered and was trucking along a DC at about 80mph when there was an almighty bang and everything went dark! Managed to stick my head out of the window and get on to the hard shoulder.

Other time was my own Landie, about 60mph this time, except my bonnet didn't have the prop fitted.....and the hinges at the back of the bonnet are U-shaped to allow you to remove it easily.....first the big bang as the bonnet goes up, followed by the sight of a lightweight aluminium bonnet flying up about 30ft in the air and landing on the motorway behind me!!!

Managed to grab it back off the road before anything mangled it, slotted it back in, and carried on driving . Ahh, the benefits of an old Landie, add a few dents and scars and it just gives it more character!
Posted By: stan

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 15:42

Really sorry to hear about this Mitch

Hope you get things sorted out to your satisfaction, even if it means buying another coupé?

Oh well, to paraphrase a moderately successful comedy show, "I'm the only coupé owner in this village" now

Unfortunately you're not alone with this happening, we see it about once a week or so, always on the motorway sections
Posted By: Roadking

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 16:49

Quote:

I've4 had it happen to me twice, in two different Land Rovers.

Military Rovers always had the spare on the bonnet. No chance of it flipping up, it gave you a hernia just lifting the bonnet to first parade the vehicle .

Unfortunately I think it would seriously affect visibility , and the bonnet is too flimsy, to suggest this as a cure for this problem on a coupé

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 17:34

Glad you are alright. That must have been seriously scary.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 18:37

Hi All

It happened to me in my Xsara VTS coupe.

I got it fixed via insurance but it cost £2K and it involved a new bonnet plus cutting the roof off and welding on a new one

I can only imagine it'd cost a lot more on a coupe.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 18:58

Do you have recaros? or any other spares

Glad your ok which is the main thing - Ive been fortunate lots of times and have driven ( by accident ) with the bonnet not firmly shut . As mentioned previously I have been lucky in all instances it was on the catch.

Hopefully the roof will just pop out - good luck.

Cant your insurance provide you with a courtesy?
Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 22:16

<---- Runs off to check bonnet on Coupe is down!

Glad you are ok mate, the car is wonderful but i think you came away lucky.

Good luck with Insurance and if not the hunt for a new Coupe, Skint's is still for sale 5k LE No. 16 if your interested?

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 22:21

Yeah It was scary, It was on a short stretch of duel carriageway and I had just planted my foot in third to overtake a pickup truck, was just drawing level then WHAMMM! blackness in front of me. Luckily there was no one behind so I just yanked on the brakes and got it to the side of the road without hitting anything.

Seems another car had run into my headlight that flew out of the bonnet and stopped up the road but drove off without even coming back to see me. Then a police car happened to be passing and stopped to help me get mine to a safe place. Policeman was very sympathetic and even gave me a lift home, thanks whoever you are

Went to auction today and got something cheap to be driving while I sort out what to do with mine. I just cant see the insurance company repairing it.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 22:35

Quote:

Policeman was very sympathetic and even gave me a lift home, thanks whoever you are

Did you get his shoulder number Mitch? With an attitude like that he won't go far and needs sacking!

If you get withdrawal symptoms you can come and stroke mine (now there's an offer you won't get everyday!) until you get a replacment.

Skint's LE sounds like a great idea!

I'll even drive you up there to pick it up.........and I can drive it back down the road
Posted By: Emjay

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 13/12/2006 23:22

Nasty, but it sounds like you (not the car) got off lightly! Must have been a real brown trouser moment. Just glad you're okay. I recall a similar incident about 2-3 years ago on here, can't remember who it was though.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 14/12/2006 02:37

Quote:

Went to auction today and got something cheap to be driving while I sort out what to do with mine

Do tell

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 14/12/2006 02:44

Ermmm thanks for the offer Stan

I am going to miss it so much to be honest but I wont get another until I finish my studies and i'm working again.
Anyway, this is what I picked up today.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f309/mitch20vt/mondy1.jpg
1998 mondeo 84k miles and FSH

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f309/mitch20vt/mondy2.jpg
Bodywork its great, tint job is dodgy

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f309/mitch20vt/mondy3.jpg
I have a £500 bill for this system

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f309/mitch20vt/mondy4.jpg
Yes its a V6! (2.5 Si manual with aircon)

Not bad at £550, only problem is its a little tappety, I am hoping its just because it was low on oil when we picked it up. Anyone know much about these??

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 14/12/2006 02:52

MrB's got a mondeo too I believe

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 14/12/2006 02:57

yeah theyre shite!!! lol not bad for £550

if the roof repairable then the car might be ok to repair!

ive repaired many of these in the past and it has happened to me before in my old citroen zx but due to a centre parked single wiper it saved the screen!!

we do have alot of alfa's and fiats in work with flipped bonnets and alot of the time they do get written off but there are exceptions. all depends on cost and book value at the end of the day!!

i have been told by a contact in fiat parts that its a common fault for the catch to spring up un-noticed if worn. it might be a wise idea for all you owners reading this to go buy a new catch tommorow as they can fail!!
i guess fiat/alfa didnt want to waste time and money on a recall! just let their owners find out the hard way!

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 14/12/2006 03:10

Sorry to read this - drove my first one for about 150 miles on the catch up the A1 not long after getting it. Fortunately spotted it and pulled over before something like this happened.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 14/12/2006 04:26

Quote:

yeah theyre shite!!! lol not bad for £550

Yeah I know its shite everything will be after the coop

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 14/12/2006 04:33

Well, maybe not everything
Posted By: came2dance

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 14/12/2006 05:35

Cant believe you bought a mondeo - did the bonnet hit you on the head

Right then we need to organise some kind of coop meet and make mitch turn up in his Mondeo

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 14/12/2006 07:20

I am a great fan of the 2.5 V6 in these. I used to own a 1999 V6 Ghia X Mondeo and then a 1998 V6 Cougar.

I sold the Mondeo at 110,000miles and the Cougar with about 140,000miles on it so they are good for a bit of abuse.

The cars were arguably the best "all round" car I have ever had. Quite lively with 170 bhp, sound great, loads of boot space and handle quite well as well. Just a real relaxing, easy drive with no paranoia! Bargain for £550.

James

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 14/12/2006 07:24

Oh, also remembered. A VERY VERY common fault with these is for the IMRC (inlet manifold runner control) to pack up. (About £110 new from Ford). This is basically a motor (servo) in a metal box that lives under the plastic "2.5 V6" cover on the front bank of cylinders on the engine. It opens a second set of intake ports when the engine reaches about 3000 rpm. If you dont have a very sure kick (not in coop terms!) at about 3k then this is either clapped or the cable that comes from it is broken. Remove the throttle body and have a good look - you'll see how it works.
With a timing chain at least you have no cambelt worries!

Have fun.

James

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 17/12/2006 05:35

gutted for you mate

really am

if it does get written off
and you decide to break it

can i have first dibs on your leather?

sorry..... i had to......

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 17/12/2006 13:57

I just wanted to echo what everyone else has said and also that I have my fingers crossed your insurance company comes up trumps and does you proud.

I had my motorcycle stolen a couple of months back and finally got more than what I could have sold it for, even including the excess.

Good luck,

PS... overtaking a pickup with your foot planted in 3rd when this happened and you didn't crash - very impressive!

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 17/12/2006 23:56

Are the spark plugs not a bugger on these or am i thinking of another 2.5v6 that can be a bugger to change them on??

Dont boterh topping the oil up mitch just get a good synth oil from Oilman in his sale and use it instead as it wont use much between changes..

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 18/12/2006 00:38

Ok update for you all, Thanks Jap yeah I think that IMRC thing might be broken. Not sure because what is concerning me more is the rattle

I have done a full oil change with comma flush in the old oil to clean it all out, What came out was very thick and black but after filling it up with the correct stuff and changing the filter its still no better . It only starts when its really warmed up so I couldnt hear it in the auction, and it was a genuine repo, not a broken heap that a dealer had dumped so I am very unlucky I think, considering the millage, history and otherwise spanking condition of it. Ahhh well.. Guess its cams, tappets or little ends?

Yes KP the spark plugs look a nightmare and I bought some without checking, but they are extra long life 20k miles jobbies so I might leave them.

Craig, yeah we will have to see, too early to tell whats happening yet. I have been filling out my claim form today and drawing a sketch for them

All in all, what a crappy week I have had..

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 24/12/2006 20:06

Again, mitch sorry to hear this happened to you.

But damn you. You've given me a whole other thing to be paranoid about now.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 28/12/2006 16:16

Sorry to hear this Mitch, but I'm glad you're unhurt. It must have scared the crap out of you.

I drove all the way home, after my last MOT, with the bonnet just on the safety catch as they'd not closed it properly

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 28/12/2006 16:46

Just been reading Practical Classics magazine and they had an article on the Damlier SP Dart that shows a photograph of a little chain which owners have installed to stop this happening on that car.

Might be worth considering on the coupé?

Any word from the insurance company yet Mitch?

Are you considering buying the coupé back if they write it off?

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 28/12/2006 21:54

Quote:

Just been reading Practical Classics magazine and they had an article on the Damlier SP Dart that shows a photograph of a little chain which owners have installed to stop this happening on that car.

Might be worth considering on the coupé?

Any word from the insurance company yet Mitch?

Are you considering buying the coupé back if they write it off?

So that explains this sort of thing Stan? He cant lose an ear in a fight because it will still be attached to his nose

Anyway yes its a write off I put another thread up in the insurance section: It looks like there is no chance of me getting it back so I am just hoping for an agreeable settlement.
What is worrying me at the moment is that they want the receipt I have for buying it. I have sent a letter explaining the amount of work that was needed to bring it up to the mechanical condition it was finally in, and sent them a copy of my £1k motormech bill, as illustration I really really need the market value back rather than the £1900 I picked it up for because I have spent that again on it over the last year, its a different car. But anyway I have done the right thing and sent everything they have asked for, I'm just waiting now....

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 28/12/2006 22:12

A friend could write one out for you and scribble the previous owners signature on it really and they would be none the wiser tbh and saves a lot of hassle.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 28/12/2006 22:14

I know Will, dont think I didnt consider it, but I always think I will get caught and land up in trouble, I wouldn't make a good criminal

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 28/12/2006 22:16

Quote:

A friend could write one out for you and scribble the previous owners signature on it really and they would be none the wiser tbh and saves a lot of hassle.

You will be telling him to rub his neck next and claim whiplash next from the shock of the bonnet going!

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 28/12/2006 23:47

Wouldnt reccomend that tbh carl However for making life much easier for both parties as well

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 23/01/2007 19:47

Ok nor heard from Admiral for a bit and was going to phone today, but when I got home I found they has send a cheque out of the blue.

£2810 which with my £250 excess added, values it at £3060.
I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are, should I ask for more? I dont think its unreasonable to be honest as it had no history from before I bought it and it needed a 3/4 respray to make mint: stone chips, dings and flaky lacquer.
(It was a 98-R, 80K, air and leather, mechanically good, cosmeticly slightly tatty.)

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 23/01/2007 19:48

thats not too bad is it, they keeping the car?

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 23/01/2007 19:50

Yeah never gave me the chance to get it \:\(

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 23/01/2007 19:51

yeh i wouldnt moan at £3k, not tooo bad really.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 23/01/2007 19:54

Yeah thats my thoughts as well, could have been worse

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 23/01/2007 20:40

You got your eyes on a replacement yet Mitch?

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 23/01/2007 20:54

Thinking about one of these Stan , I dunno. It has to be something fun but cheap to run

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 23/01/2007 20:56

Seems reasonable Mitch. It's a pity the Fabia vRS hasn't come down in value yet \:\(
You could have stuck a chip and a mod or two and been very happy.

I'll let you have a drive in "Project Jigsaw" when she's rebuilt if you get withdrawal symptoms.

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 23/01/2007 21:15

Hehe yeah love to \:D

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 23/01/2007 21:19

Either that or we can drive around in all the bits that'll be left over \:D

So when are you getting the replacement and what happens to the RepBox?

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 23/01/2007 21:24

Repbox is going on ebay now as soon as I sort it. It stands me as £650 now but it has 12 months MOT so I should get my money back. New car ASAP \:\)

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 23/01/2007 22:11

Arent those MX3 small V6's a nightmare to work on?? i heard certain cooling pipes often go and require loads to come off the engine for you to get at them??

Re: just had bonnet flip up at 60mph - 23/01/2007 22:30

No idea to be honest KP, they dont even have a UK owners club or forum. I will look into it but I will be very surprised if they need more TLC than a 20VT. \:D
I drove one the other day and I had to rev the balls off it to get it to move but It seems to like it and sounded sweet. Driving position is nice and handling felt good.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK