Fiat Coupe Club UK

I think I'm too tall for my Coupe....

Posted By: Anonymous

I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 04:17

Been living with it now for 2-3 months, but I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm too tall for it (6'2")

Any other 'taller' owners have the same problem...?

Thought I could live with it in the beginning, but I'm starting to get a hunch...
Posted By: Wishy

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 04:19

do you have a sunroof?

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 04:24

Originally Posted By: Wishy
do you have a sunroof?

Nope..., I don't think I could even drive one with a sunroof....
Posted By: JimO

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 04:28

Well I am 6'3" and had 2 coupes and never had a problem. A few years ago, there was an owner who must have been about 6'6" or 7" he never moaned about driving it \:\)
Posted By: Wishy

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 04:36

just that a sunroof loses about an inch (or so I'm told), thats why I asked.

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 04:38

Not wanting to sound like a freak here, but I have relativly short legs (inside leg of 32") and a long 'trunk'. I also like to drive with my back straight..., basically if I'm in a comfortable position to drive, my head is touching the roof..

I also don't know if it makes a difference, but I have a Plus, and think the Recaros might sit higher in the car that the standard coupe arm chairs...(although I stand to be corrected...)

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 05:25

im same phil,im 5'7" and have short legs for my size but a long trunk and im too tall for my old coupe but only when drag racing cos i sit really close to the wheel and wearing a helmet i had to bend my head to one side so i didnt headbut the top of the windscreen
one mod a coupe needs is lower seats!

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 05:46

well i am 6,1 and never had an issue ever, my hair would brush the roof of my 1st coupe but that had a sunroof.

@beast my dad is 5,8 and has an le and wants the seat higher!!! not lower

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 05:54

has your dad a normal sided torso for a 5 foot 8er?

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 06:21

compared to my old lotus the coupe is massive

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 06:28

6'3" here in a 20VT-5 with a sunroof. No problems at all. Learn to drive in a more reclined position perhaps?

The coupe driving position does favour this kind of thing anyway. As long as you can reach 1st on the gear lever, cant ther seat back as far as you can.
Posted By: Baz76

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 12:26

At least the sunvisors will be big enough for you guys then : ) .

You could always try driving the Hightower way from the back seat \:D .

Baz \:\)

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 12:36

Well I'm 6'6", and drive my Coop with no issues! \:\)

WHen I was looking around, I found those with a sunroof were too low, but those without have plenty of room. Try a more "Low Rider" seat position.

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 12:39

Try reclining your seat a bit \:\)
Posted By: bezzer

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 13:04

Originally Posted By: JimO
Well I am 6'3" and had 2 coupes and never had a problem. A few years ago, there was an owner who must have been about 6'6" or 7" he never moaned about driving it \:\)

His name was 'Elephantasmo' (I kid you not) \:\)

He was 6' 8", drove a yellow 16VT with a sunroof, and he had no trouble at all.

He was also a 'big' lad, liked his pies \:D
Posted By: barnacle

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 13:19

I'm six two and have a sunroof, no problem unless I choose to wear a top hat.

Mind you, it's possible that eleven years forced into such a tiny space has bonsai'd me and that had I bought something with an open top I'd be eight feet tall by now... \:\)

Neil
Posted By: Tartandude

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 13:43

Im 6ft 1ish and thought something similar when I first got my coop. It wasn't until someone (MrB I think) told me that you could move the steering wheel back and forward that I got a comfortable position! \:D
Posted By: stan

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 13:46

I'm 2m tall and don't have any issues, just the seat reclined a bit which is the way it should be for long distance driving anyway to avoid back pain \:D
Posted By: Cappo

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 14:09

6'4" here, on my second Coupe (which is a Plus - whether or not the seats are higher, I've never noticed) and I've never had comfort or headroom problems. That includes driving long distances (French Alps, for example).

Looks like it's just you!
Posted By: bockers

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 14:14

You should not drive with you back straight and in upright position. It puts too much stess on the base of your spine \:o

Recline the seat back, your body will thank you, and if necessary pull the steering wheel towards you.

I am 6ft 2 and the coupe is one of the more spacious cars about.

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 18:22

I'm on the opposite end of the scale at only 5ft 5 and I still manage to fit fine in my Coupe, despite the lack of seat height adjustment.

The sun visors are completely useless to me though and I can't seem to be able to adjust my steering wheel angle. \:\?

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 18:30

5.5"!!!! Do you require blocks for the pedals \:D ;\) I hear there are alot of booster seats going around currently due to the new laws on child seats, perhaps you can get one of those on the cheap \:D ;\) lol...
Posted By: simonj

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 19:43

There was another bloke from Bath, he was 6'7" and had no problems with his 20VT.

I'm 6'2''+ and had no issues.

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 21:18

Originally Posted By: bockers
You should not drive with you back straight and in upright position. It puts too much stess on the base of your spine \:o

well ive been driving like that since i passed my test at 17,im 29 now and still drive like that.its all about finding a position that is comfy for you.all this reclining your seat back rubbish is actually dangerous as your not fully in control of the car if your too far back from the wheel.admittedly i have to deactivate any drivers side airbags of cars i own cos i sit so close it will killl me if it goes off

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 21:26

6'3" no bother at all and i sit quite upright in the coupe.

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 22:31

Originally Posted By: beast
 Originally Posted By: bockers

well ive been driving like that since i passed my test at 17,im 29 now and still drive like that.its all about finding a position that is comfy for you.all this reclining your seat back rubbish is actually dangerous as your not fully in control of the car if your too far back from the wheel.admittedly i have to deactivate any drivers side airbags of cars i own cos i sit so close it will killl me if it goes off

Sorry beast but there must be something you are doing wrong/differently if you having issues in the coupe, i garrentee your upper body isnt as long as me or anyone else who is over 6' even if its tall for someone who is 5'8". If your upper body is the same as mine you would be substantually out of proportion, if thats the case i can simpathise and apoligies for making this point. But i doubt thats the case. If you are winding your sit verticle then you are causing your spine unneccessary strain resulting in serious back problems in the future (that is genuine concern) i suffer from back pains and i wouldnt wish that on anyone, but years of playing second row in rugby and verious accidents have cased this and you dont want to suffer similar problems. I will also add that this isnt also an uneducated oppinion, as i studing Automotie ergonoomics as part of my course.

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 22:44

The coupe was designed typically to italian proportions i.e. short leg - long body \:\)

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 22:47

There was a guy, 'Thornmaster' on the original forum who I met at a Weston S'Mare meet, he was 6'8" (I asked) and he managed ok, albeit without a sunroof. I think the Gangsta lean is all -important \:D .

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 26/01/2007 23:20

Originally Posted By: Civic_Legend
There was a guy, 'Thornmaster' on the original forum who I met at a Weston S'Mare meet, he was 6'8" (I asked) and he managed ok, albeit without a sunroof. I think the Gangsta lean is all -important \:D .

WTF is the 'Gangsta lean' ????

This has to be the most bizarre thread I have seen in a long time. BTW I am 6 footah dead on and have no probs (just in case anyone is interested).

Why don't you buy a coop with a sunroof and a kiddies booster cushion. Just open the roof and stick your head out the top. Problem solved... 100% visibility all round.

TAXI ........

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 00:18

6'4" with a sunroof...(the car not me) - never had a problem...on the day it runs.
Mind you, I see less when I am behind it pushing it \:D
Posted By: simonj

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 02:00

Lay the seat back as far as it'll go - that'll cure your problem as I've been told we're all the same size lying down..... \:#
Posted By: Theresa

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 02:12

Originally Posted By: jayzee
The coupe was designed typically to italian proportions i.e. short leg - long body \:\)

Might explain why I find the Coupe very comfortable to drive \:\)
I'm 5 ft 8 in, but only have an inside leg measurement of 29 inches.
When driving any car, I always sit as far back as I can, but still able to press the clutch down properly and I have the backrest tilted back slightly.

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 02:14

I'm 5'9, 32" inside leg and long monkey arms and my coupe is fine even with a sunroof \:\)

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 17:00

Lol at Bonsai'd Bockers and Vicks' 'long monkey arms' \:D

What is this moving of the steering wheel of which you speaketh Tartandude? The easy rider position prevents my tadpole limbs from reaching the wheel \:\(

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 20:48

Originally Posted By: paulr20vt
5.5"!!!! Do you require blocks for the pedals \:D ;\) I hear there are alot of booster seats going around currently due to the new laws on child seats, perhaps you can get one of those on the cheap \:D ;\) lol...

Nah. Still got a couple clicks on the seat rails unused believe it or not. Its my body that short, not my legs. Its all good for a low centre of gravity. \:D

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 20:54

You lucky buggers, im 6ft4 and having driven a standard no fills economy massivly inferior 20vt for a few days ive noticed how much more legroom there is compared to my airbag recaro clad yellow plus.

Im certain ive got far less room in the plus, certain of it.

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 21:17

Hmmm, wonder why so many tall people drive the coupé?

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 21:46

they arent that tall really, thats the how tall they wanted to be and the internet allows them to pretend \:D

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 21:47

Apart from dennis obviously, he wouldnt make that up ;\)

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 21:57

OK,... lots of feedback !!

Obviously I'm in a small minority fo thoes who have height issues with the coupe, but I just can't get into a good driving position, and I can't do the 'Gangsta' lean ala. the Type R driver I saw last night who eyes were in line with the bottom of the side window...

Originally Posted By: Vickster
I'm 5'9, 32" inside leg and long monkey arms and my coupe is fine even with a sunroof \:\)

Vickster, as we have the same inside leg (steady...), do you have 5-6" of daylight between the top of your head and the roof ?

Originally Posted By: carlt
You lucky buggers, im 6ft4 and having driven a standard no fills economy massivly inferior 20vt for a few days ive noticed how much more legroom there is compared to my airbag recaro clad yellow plus.

Im certain ive got far less room in the plus, certain of it.

Carl, this is what I suspected in the first place..., anyone else shed some light on this (I have only ever driven a Plus)

At the end of the day, it looks like is going to have to go... I'll take some pictures tomorrow (when it's clean), and see if I can bring myself to write an advert....

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 21:58

Yeh have you got airbag sex recaro seats though or just standard recaro's?

Im sure airbag models give a shorter seat as the floorpan is different.

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 22:03

Originally Posted By: paulr20vt
they arent that tall really, thats the how tall they wanted to be and the internet allows them to pretend \:D

pmsl \:D

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 22:55

Originally Posted By: tescophil
OK,... lots of feedback !!

Obviously I'm in a small minority fo thoes who have height issues with the coupe, but I just can't get into a good driving position, and I can't do the 'Gangsta' lean ala. the Type R driver I saw last night who eyes were in line with the bottom of the side window...

Originally Posted By: Vickster

Vickster, as we have the same inside leg (steady...), do you have 5-6" of daylight between the top of your head and the roof ?

Think so yes, something like that I would think...I have cloth seats \:\)

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 23:34

Originally Posted By: carlt
Yeh have you got airbag sex recaro seats though or just standard recaro's?

Im sure airbag models give a shorter seat as the floorpan is different.

Hi Carl,

Think I just have the standard ones..., do the airbag ones have plastic panels down the sides... (seem to remember a picture like this a while back) ?

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 27/01/2007 23:36

Yeh you have economy recaro's then, still im sure you get less room and im certain less height, i struggle in LE's with sunroof's, never had a plus with a sunroof but the le's use the same seats.

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 28/01/2007 02:59

I'm about 6.2-ish and must admit, occasionally I have suffered some back pain.

I've also found that I can't drink as much as I used to without feeling rubbish all day the next day, can't keep all the hair in the crown of my head and my memory is not what it was.

I am hoping these are all coop related. \:\)

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 28/01/2007 05:06

I seem to be in the great minority of Coupe owners in being a little short arse. \:D

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 31/01/2007 03:21

6'6" here and no probs \:\?

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 01/02/2007 19:26

6'6" and absolutely no problems, I don't even have any real issues with a crash helmet on for track days, which is a real bonus. Don't have a sunroof though, and N-Reg seats are probably sagging a bit!

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 01/02/2007 19:36

I'm 6 foot and initially had a real problem getting comfy in my sunroofed coop. \:\? I test drove a few before getting mine and had no probs but none of them had the sunroof. Have to have the seatback well back which isn't ideal for me.

I'm trying to find out if the leather out of a late model 20VT 6 will enable me to sit slightly lower? If it does I may have to invest in a nice leather set for medical reasons of course. \:D \:D

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 02/02/2007 19:18

At 6 ft 2 I'm fine in a non-sunroof car - about a millimeter to spare with a helmet on, though the seat has to tilt back a bit more!

Re: I think I'm too tall for my Coupe.... - 04/02/2007 19:07

i'm 6'6" never had any problems its the only car i've had where my head doesn't touch the roof
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK