Fiat Coupe Club UK

MOT Today

Posted By: Jimbo

MOT Today - 30/03/2007 14:39

Yep its the dreaded MOT time again, dropped the car off at 08:30 and I just got the call to come and collect it, what do we think:

Pass or Fail
Posted By: stan

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 14:40

Fail

Handbrake
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 14:45

Fail

Headlights aiming too low and too far to the left!!

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 14:45

Fail

Emissions
Posted By: strike4A

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 14:47

Pass

You look after your Coupe, Jimbo, so I would expect it to sail through.
Posted By: MCMike

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 14:51

Pass

after all the love, attention & cash you've spent on her, and she never gets used does she ?

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 14:59

Fail

Rear brake compensator
Posted By: whatmoretyres

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 15:05

PASS PASS PASS

Thinking positive for ya!

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 15:06

Fail

On rear brakes/handbrake

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 15:30

God you lot are a happy go lucky optimistic bunch aren't you

It wasnt a good start this morning when the tester said "I dont like these" but I left it with him and told him to give it a quick drive before the emissions test.

The only prep I did was fit my sports cat yesterday.

And the result.....

PASS \:D

He came over to see me and said "thats a well sorted and well looked after car" \:\) still dont think he was converted though.
The only thing on his sheet was the idle was 50rpm higher than it should be... I can live with that !

So there we go, 8 years of coupe ownership and not an MOT fail yet, you just have to look after them \:\)
Posted By: stan

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 15:31

Ah, but how much did you *bung* him? \:D

ps. Congrats, that is quite an achievement, ever thought of doing a *how-to pass the MOT* write up? \:\)

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 15:32

Nice one. You can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times I've used my handbrake since Rog fixed the last one and I bet it still fails or I'm "advised" come MOT day...

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 15:33

Ahem, shhhhh Stan ;\)

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 15:36

Roly, I invested in the big rear disc conversion over 2 years ago so the handbrake on this is brilliant, I can lock the rears up with it if I wanted to.
Its an expensive conversion but it works so well its worth it.
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 15:55

Cool, I've never had a pass first time Normally the handbrake or some silly little rubber gaitor has split.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 16:04

Pah, eleven years, nine MOT's, never failed - and even the day after the dozy bint incident I only got a warning for a broken numberplate \:D

Neil

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 16:11

Congratulations! Mine passed this week too \:D

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 16:47

Originally Posted By: stan

ps. Congrats, that is quite an achievement, ever thought of doing a *how-to pass the MOT* write up? \:\)

Oh yeah its dead simple, keep the car submerged in a hot oil bath all year, remove it from the bath once a month to replace all the major components and your laughing \:D
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 16:57

What oil though? I've only manged to half-submerge mine in crisp 'n' dry \:\(
Posted By: Richard24

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 16:59

Mine passed last week, no problem.
That was it's 3rd MOT under my ownership, passes first time every time.
PS my dad is the MOT tester. But he takes no crap from me saying just give me the thingy saying i've passed.

Re: MOT Today - 30/03/2007 18:05

Crisp & Dry is no good Pinin, its an Italian car so that American fast food oil wont cut it, it has to be an extra virgin olive oil.
Posted By: whatmoretyres

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 00:41

get in, see? told you! \:D

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 00:44

Quote:
Roly, I invested in the big rear disc conversion over 2 years ago so the handbrake on this is brilliant, I can lock the rears up with it if I wanted to.
Its an expensive conversion but it works so well its worth it.

What conversion did you do jimbo as im tempted to play with mine as its always low effort on the back..
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 00:59

mine passed first time on wed as well!just adviousory on rear wheel bearing loud?just show which owners really take care. ;\)

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 01:03

mine passed its MOT last month but had a note with the ticket saying that the rear discs were worn and to kept an eye on them, the tester must have meant the bit of rust thats the 3gs get where the pad dosent rub, that i had fitted 2 weeks before hand! \:o \:D

Kev

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 03:33

I fitted new EBC pads, 3G discs, new handbrake cables and refurbished calipers before my test and it sailed through - although I'm amazed how the tester didn't notice my exhaust was blowing at one of the joins...

Mind you it was his last MOT before the Christmas break - so he might have been in a hurry \:\)

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 05:42

JBT, its the 300mm Tarox disc conversion, basically an alloy belled rear disc and an alloy mounting block for the original caliper to space it out, my kit came with tarox fast road pads and somw stainless brake hoses.

Braking is much more stable and the handbrake is brilliant \:D

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 15:58

Originally Posted By: Nobby
I fitted new EBC pads, 3G discs, new handbrake cables and refurbished calipers before my test and it sailed through

Thats what I did with mine this Thursday. Took the Coupe to Motormech for service and MOT all in one with a new rear hub, rear disks and pads and handbrake cables all in the boot, ready to go on. She passed with ease once these were done.

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 16:39

Quote:
JBT, its the 300mm Tarox disc conversion, basically an alloy belled rear disc and an alloy mounting block for the original caliper to space it out, my kit came with tarox fast road pads and somw stainless brake hoses.

Braking is much more stable and the handbrake is brilliant

Thanks Jimbo,do you have a link to it at hand as my brakes are the next step.....
Refurbing the front calipers and using pagid pads and 3g discs,but i was running out ideas for the rears...

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 19:43

I sure do \:\)

Tarox Rears

You might want to give Rog at PowerFiat a call though, I do believe he's now a Tarox dealer and will probably get a much better price on the kit, I know he did a group buy on these late last year.

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 20:02

Originally Posted By: coupedummy
mine passed first time on wed as well!just adviousory on rear wheel bearing loud?just show which owners really take care. ;\)

Think you need to get that done dude!! £70 for the part and 30-45 mins labour.

Ross
Posted By: BrumJim

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 20:29

Mine coming up Saturday. Nervous? Yes!!

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 20:39

Thanks Jimbo,i will give him a call monday..

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 22:21

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
and not an MOT fail yet, you just have to look after them \:\)

or be friends with an mot tester(like moi!!!)

have never had a car that has failed suprisingly........

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 22:36

Quote:
or be friends with an mot tester(like moi!!!)

have never had a car that has failed suprisingly........

or if your actually a tester yourself like me \:D
i always do mine proper though.....

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 22:44

bearing hard to do?isthere a guide?

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 22:49

which bearing do you need to do buddy,
i have all the how to guides in my head..

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 22:53

n/s/r

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 22:59

10 mins mate,
wheel off,
caliper and carrier out the way,
disc off
take the hub nut off and prise the hub off.
Press out the bearing fit the new one and fit in reverse order..
If ypu want i have got a nsr hub already built up and ready to fit.
along with your battery clamp that you asked me to save a year ago..

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 23:03

would appreciate it mate...
pm details cost and hopefully i can pick it up in the week

Re: MOT Today - 31/03/2007 23:04

pm sent

Re: MOT Today - 01/04/2007 04:57

JBT, doesnt the rear hub come complete with the inner and outer bearing ? I've changed 3 now and its just been a simple hub off the stub axel and slide a new one on, no pressing of bearings or messing around.
Like you said its a 10-15 minute job from start to finish.

Re: MOT Today - 01/04/2007 05:04

so just replace the hub itself.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: MOT Today - 02/04/2007 23:43

Mine went straight through today \:\) \:\) ,
no advisories or anything. Mind you it had only done about 1800 miles in the last year.
Posted By: mattB

Re: MOT Today - 03/04/2007 01:33

Originally Posted By: coupedummy
so just replace the hub itself.

Yes rear bearing require the entire hub to be changed, think it's about £75 from AA.

Re: MOT Today - 07/04/2007 15:23

MOT not going well today - can't turn the key in the ignition barrel. This has never been a problem before.

Anyway, the car is now stuck on their MOT bay, steering lock engaged, and key not able to turn. \:o

And all I can find on the search facility here is someone in mad panic for reasons not made clear trying to find out how to remove the ignition barrel.

On the bright side - better failed in a garage on MOT than needing to get somewhere or stuck in the middle of France!!

Re: MOT Today - 07/04/2007 23:54

funny that brumjim.me m8 has just spoke to me an said,guess what we had a coupe into day and stuck at garage now because cant get steering lock off.lol
You should be alright with them guys tho,pretty decent.it will be sorted.

Re: MOT Today - 08/04/2007 01:50

Guess what, mine passed too without an advisory! Woohoo. Seems to be a pretty good month for coupes and mots.

Re: MOT Today - 08/04/2007 02:42

Coupedummy:

Yes, that will have been me!! Yes, they've done a good job for me. MOT passed even though most of the ignition was on the driver's footwell!!

Have promised to sort out the ignition problem before Thursday. Fingers crossed.

Was it you that passed me on the bottom of Cherrington Road this morning (Saturday)? Quite earliesh - 9:30?
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK