Fiat Coupe Club UK

I'm going to pop.

Posted By: Anonymous

I'm going to pop. - 04/11/2007 02:51

I felt I must put a post up to express just how much I can't wait to get my car back from the spray shop.

Its been there for about 4 weeks now and could be there for another couple yet.

It was a nice red LE with a nasty scrape down the nearside. It should come back looking A1 \:# I've been popping into the garage at every opportunity to see how its progressing and its getting there, slowly.

The alloys have been resprayed by them already and look perfect! They are just sooooooo smooth - I cant wait to see what the whole car will look like.

I've even (rather desperately) been collecting a box of parts to go on as soon as it returns - leds for the stoplight, new badges, wheel centre caps, speakers, grill etc.

I was speaking to John (the sprayman) and he told me about the "mopping" process that they do when the car is finished.
I never knew what this was. Apparently its where the car is finished with the laquer coat on. They then rub the laquer down to matt again with a very fine sander and then repolish by hand to get an A1 shine!

John says it because the laquer can be slightly absorbed into the pigment layer and spoil the perfect finish.

Blimey - no wonder the whole process takes almost 7 weeks!

I can't wait! I feel like a 5 year old looking forward to Christmas.

James
Posted By: Theresa

Re: I'm going to pop. - 04/11/2007 03:15

Originally Posted By: jap
I was speaking to John (the sprayman) and he told me about the "mopping" process that they do when the car is finished.
I never knew what this was. Apparently its where the car is finished with the laquer coat on. They then rub the laquer down to matt again with a very fine sander and then repolish by hand to get an A1 shine!

John says it because the laquer can be slightly absorbed into the pigment layer and spoil the perfect finish.

James

Also gets rid of any fine dust/sh!t that has dropped into the paint/laquer whilst spraying \:D
Posted By: aleem

Re: I'm going to pop. - 04/11/2007 03:28

Where are you getting the work done at? I'm considering a fresh lick for mine.

Re: I'm going to pop. - 04/11/2007 03:50

Originally Posted By: aleem
Where are you getting the work done at? I'm considering a fresh lick for mine.

7 weeks is some lick \:D

Re: I'm going to pop. - 04/11/2007 04:53

Work is being done at Euroeast, Burntwood, Staffordshire.

01543 676903

Its the same place that did Sedicivavole's, Nigel's and Chrisbp's.
Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Re: I'm going to pop. - 04/11/2007 05:29

They did indeed. No hesitation to recommend them. I am using them again for another vehicle in a month.

Almost there James!
Posted By: Nigel

Re: I'm going to pop. - 04/11/2007 16:35

Sadly, mine will be having to go back soon

Its collected hundreds of stone chips, plus a bit of rust

Having said that, I've done about 20,000 miles since it was painted, so hardly a surprise about the chipping

Re: I'm going to pop. - 04/11/2007 16:51

Doing that kind of milage its never going to stay chip-free for long I suppose. That rust could also do with being looked at ASAP. Mine will have a distinctly low milage I hope. We really dont need a second car in the family (we both work from home) so i can keep it just for best ;\) Even the insurance policy is for 5000mile/year max and that should be way more than enough.

It couldn't be in better hands though Nigel - John's a real craftsman.

James

Re: I'm going to pop. - 04/11/2007 18:03

And mine is booked in at Euroeast for Sat 1st December.

Can't wait \:D

Re: I'm going to pop. - 04/11/2007 23:27

Almost there fella.

Re: I'm going to pop. - 05/11/2007 09:32

I know just how you feel James! I felt exactly that way too & pulling up to see your 'new' car is such a thrill. I stayed away so when I got to see her I really was bowled over & pleased as punch. As you say, Johns a star & takes such pride in his work. Its great to see.

Chris

Re: I'm going to pop. - 06/11/2007 01:55

Originally Posted By: Nigel
Sadly, mine will be having to go back soon

Its collected hundreds of stone chips, plus a bit of rust

Having said that, I've done about 20,000 miles since it was painted, so hardly a surprise about the chipping

I've had paint work in the past on another car that was too soft and resulted in lots of chips and marks in a matter of weeks, then had the work re-done elsewhere and it's lasted much better.

It's all good having a nice fresh finish to new paint-work, but the real test is how it weathers.

I was all set to get in touch with Euroeast after all the positive comments on here, but my coupe is daily driver too, and now I'm not so sure \:\?

Re: I'm going to pop. - 06/11/2007 02:13

I'm looking forward to seeing it as well James \:\)

I've then just got to convince the wife that spending that much on my car is a good idea ;\) \:D

Re: I'm going to pop. - 06/11/2007 13:23

aleem - you have nothing to worry about at Euroeast - John's work is bordering on the obsessive.

The stone chips are unavoidable, even on factory paint (where the clearcoat is much harder than low-bak ovens can achieve)

I do over 30,000 miles a year, much of it on motorways, where the car gets peppered.

Its a shame, but I accept it as a consequence of using the car for business.

Re: I'm going to pop. - 06/11/2007 13:59

Originally Posted By: Clee
And mine is booked in at Euroeast for Sat 1st December.

Can't wait \:D

Ah yes. John said a couple of people with coops had been in for quotes and had a look at mine "in progress".

I suppose one of them must had been you Clee - John said one of them had booked.

James

Re: I'm going to pop. - 06/11/2007 22:05

yeah i saw yours m8, i was telling him what i wanted done

and he turns round and says ' so pretty much want that one

there then' i said yep that will do \:D

Re: I'm going to pop. - 07/11/2007 00:38

Originally Posted By: Nigel
aleem - you have nothing to worry about at Euroeast - John's work is bordering on the obsessive.

The stone chips are unavoidable, even on factory paint (where the clearcoat is much harder than low-bak ovens can achieve)

I do over 30,000 miles a year, much of it on motorways, where the car gets peppered.

Its a shame, but I accept it as a consequence of using the car for business.

Nigel, thanks for the reasurrance.

I know this may sound a little cheeky, but are any of you guys who've had a respray from Euroeast willing to meet up with a forum member who's seriously considering getting their coupe resprayed at Euroeast?

Re: I'm going to pop. - 07/11/2007 00:41

You're welcome to have a look at mine once its all finished aleem.

James

Re: I'm going to pop. - 07/11/2007 00:52

Excellent Jap \:\)

I'll PM you once you've had your's done ;\)

Re: I'm going to pop. - 07/11/2007 00:59

Dare I ask how much did this set you back? Mark braces himself!

Re: I'm going to pop. - 07/11/2007 01:03

Originally Posted By: elder81
Dare I ask how much did this set you back? Mark braces himself!

hope your sat down \:D

Re: I'm going to pop. - 07/11/2007 01:04

I am! In a pub with a bulmers by my side!

Re: I'm going to pop. - 07/11/2007 01:05

I am! In a pub with a bulmers by my side!

On ice i hope

Re: I'm going to pop. - 07/11/2007 01:11

Clearly! WHat kind of man do you think I am? PM me if you don't want to say on the forum!

Re: I'm going to pop. - 07/11/2007 01:35

Clearly! WHat kind of man do you think I am? PM me if you don't want to say on the forum!

lol \:o

Re: I'm going to pop. - 07/11/2007 03:04

think jap mentioned the price in another thread so don't think he will mind spilling the beans!

Re: I'm going to pop. - 07/11/2007 03:17

Mine was £1700 if that puts you out of your misery (Euroeast too).

Chris

Re: I'm going to pop. - 07/11/2007 03:21

Same here. £1700 inc VAT. I'm paying another £200 for the wheels to be done as well so £1900 altogether.

James

Re: I'm going to pop. - 07/11/2007 03:31

i have to say its a good price for the care and detail thats gone into each car from what i've read.

umm wheres my lottery ticket \:\)

Re: I'm going to pop. - 07/11/2007 13:54

Well that was actually what I was expecting! Not to bad at all! Get what you pay for an all!

Re: I'm going to pop. - 08/11/2007 01:06

Hey Jap,

Is £200 a typical price for refurbing wheels then?

W

Re: I'm going to pop. - 08/11/2007 05:00

Depends really usually circa £40 a corner but from the ones that come out of EuroEast I would say they are worth it ;\)

Re: I'm going to pop. - 15/11/2007 03:45

Any news, James?

What's the latest? \:\)

Re: I'm going to pop. - 19/11/2007 00:37

\:D \:D \:D Back on Tuesday \:D \:D \:D

James

Re: I'm going to pop. - 21/11/2007 01:46

Well, its back and it absolutely STUNNING.

I went to pick it up tonight and John had definitely been working hard to make it look minty. He'd apparently been mopping it all day. You could tell. It looked like a completely brand new car. Shame I had to drive it home in the dark and the rain.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow after its been leathered off (if it ever stops raining) and post them up.

Looking forward to the spring now - Damn rain!

James

Re: I'm going to pop. - 21/11/2007 02:00

Looking forward to seeing the pics mate \:\)

Got to drop mine off there next saturday for the same work, cant wait

Re: I'm going to pop. - 21/11/2007 02:21

cant wait for these pictures! \:#

Re: I'm going to pop. - 21/11/2007 03:16

look forward to seeing the pics

Re: I'm going to pop. - 21/11/2007 19:48

Worth the wait wasn't it! Youll be paranoid after every trip now, checking it over for any mark whatsoever.

Did you notice the intense pride in Johns face as you viewed it? He hates giving them back in a way I rekon.

Enjoy, Chris

Re: I'm going to pop. - 22/11/2007 14:13

Yes you can definitely tell Johns very proud as he hands the car back.

Sorry I've been slow getting pics posted up. I've been ill for the last couple of days and just starting to get a bit more mobile now. They'll be here soon I promise.

James

Re: I'm going to pop. - 22/11/2007 14:28

NO excuse James! \:D

Re: I'm going to pop. - 22/11/2007 16:03

When i took delivery of my car, John was almost reluctant to let me have it back, as he knew that it would get stone chipped because of the mileage it does

he wasn't wrong - its peppered now \:\(
Posted By: Flea

Re: I'm going to pop. - 22/11/2007 16:17

Know the feeling Nigel but cars are made for driving, well ours certainly are ;\) \:D

Re: I'm going to pop. - 22/11/2007 17:44

\:D

Yes it was long pause till the keys are given back to you \:\) and then a good chat about how you are going to look after the car!

Re: I'm going to pop. - 26/11/2007 17:03

Okay getting mad now James cough the pictures up!

Re: I'm going to pop. - 01/12/2007 19:03

Ok - some news.

I spent a couple of hours polishing and waxing yesterday and its a good finish. Not perfect mind you and I need to drop the car back in on Monday for them to look at a few bits.

More news after I've spoken to them.

James

Re: I'm going to pop. - 01/12/2007 22:13

Ok - some news.

I spent a couple of hours polishing and waxing yesterday and its a good finish. Not perfect mind you and I need to drop the car back in on Monday for them to look at a few bits.

More news after I've spoken to them.

James

Only a "good" finish?

Er, wasn't it around 2k... Should be a bit better than good, at that sort of money, shouldn't it?

Let us know how you get on....plenty of people on here rate this guy.

Re: I'm going to pop. - 01/12/2007 22:16

Its better than just good I suppose and I really shouldn't have posted until I've spoken to them. I dont want to stir up any trouble.

I'll leave it there for now gents and speak to John on Monday.

James

Re: I'm going to pop. - 02/12/2007 03:55

jap im still waiting to see the pics of your drivers seat since it was refurbed
Posted By: Kelv27

Re: I'm going to pop. - 02/12/2007 04:19

Same ere \:\)

Re: I'm going to pop. - 02/12/2007 18:33

Apologies gents - just put a pic of the bolster before and after in the general maintenance section.

Re: I'm going to pop. - 04/12/2007 18:24

Its better than just good I suppose and I really shouldn't have posted until I've spoken to them. I dont want to stir up any trouble.

I'll leave it there for now gents and speak to John on Monday.

James

What news, James? What did they say?

Re: I'm going to pop. - 04/12/2007 22:23

I'm popping up in the morning so I'll post afterwards. \:\)

James

Re: I'm going to pop. - 14/12/2007 14:33

Bump

Re: I'm going to pop. - 19/12/2007 15:42

Well - its back and its absolutely MINT \:#. I just can't fault it in any way at all.

The small problem I had was down to me hurrying John at the end for me to have my car back. I should have eased up I know (as the finishing is so important) and I should have given John another day or two.

Anyway, John didn't quibble at all and gave the car a good dose of TLC so he could get it truly minty.

I've now waxed the car and been over it with a fine tooth comb and honestly cant find one single niggle at all. The finish is like glass and the car looks damn fine. John even repainted the rocker cover (well, a spare I gave him) to the colour of the car. No extra charge. \:D

I really can't recommend Euroeast and John highly enough. He is a true gentleman and an utter perfectionist. I can recommend without any hesitation.

James \:\)

Re: I'm going to pop. - 19/12/2007 15:45

pics please \:\)

Re: I'm going to pop. - 19/12/2007 15:45

really pleased for you mate, can't wait to see it...

happy christmas to you, ali and the kids....

Re: I'm going to pop. - 19/12/2007 16:38

Cheers proccy - I hope you have a good one as well. How's your car shaping up?

I took some pics a couple of days ago but I think theres something wrong with my camera. I'll try again next time its washed. The car that is, not the camera. ;\)

James

Re: I'm going to pop. - 19/12/2007 16:39

pi$$ed off with mine still - can't afford to get the door/wing sorted yet, although carlt has sorted me a wing for £12!! \:D

now i have an alarm/immobiliser issue i need to resolve - it better all get better soon or she's getting binned in the spring.. \:\(

Re: I'm going to pop. - 19/12/2007 16:48

Well done James for letting John sort it for you with little fuss. He really is a star I think.

....& dont rush a perfectionist!

Chris
Posted By: stan

Re: I'm going to pop. - 19/12/2007 18:23

\:\( I really thought this post update would contain photos °\(

We're setting a deadline of midnight on Christmas Eve for photos or else................errr, well, we'll think of something! \:D
Posted By: Kelv27

Re: I'm going to pop. - 20/12/2007 03:17

James i Think i'm going to pop as well waiting for your pics \:D
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK