Fiat Coupe Club UK

What would a fellow Coup owner say...

Posted By: Anonymous

What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 13/11/2007 20:01

To another Coupé owner who said...

"should I sell my car and by an RX-7 or persue tuning to 400hp+?"
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 13/11/2007 20:14

My reaction would be that if you want 400BHP, you should go out and buy a car that's already got it!

Re: What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 13/11/2007 20:21

Well yes....

But....

Well... yes

Though I do own my Coupé 100% and it is only for a Trackcar/Toy so if it goes wrong then it's not such an issue.

Also I like a project

Just need to stop and think if the Coup is a good enough base?
Posted By: Lucifer

Re: What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 13/11/2007 20:22

Despite owning a tuned Coop, I'd be with Steve on this one! If you'd be happy with 300bhp, tune the Coop. If you want 400, then go for one which starts with that power \:\)

Re: What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 13/11/2007 20:28

I have about thet already... need more

I don't want to give up on the Coup but somthing asks me is it worth spending a sh*t load more on it?
Posted By: Lucifer

Re: What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 13/11/2007 20:39

Originally Posted By: 13ad13oy
I have about thet already... need more

Ahh.. I see.

From what I've read, I really don't think it's worth going over the 300bhp mark with a Coop - causes way too many problems. Certainly not worth taking it to 400, given the short term cost of getting the work done, then the long term cost of almost-certain problems. It seems as though general concesus is that 300bhp is the 'safe' and 'usable' max for the Coop.

I guess it all depends on your budget though. Could you not keep the Coop and then get a second, project car?

Re: What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 13/11/2007 22:22

If you want a fast car then buy a fast car in the first place.

Tuned cars = pits of money that you'll never get back.

Re: What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 13/11/2007 22:22

If you have bags of cash lying around (ie £15,000), then buy stock RX7 for around 6-7k and spend the rest on servicing, replacing and mildly tuning.

Intercooler, Power FC and Single turbo conversion will easily get you 400bhp and leave you with change from £5000, the most important thing with RX7's is to make sure the car is perect before you start modding it.

They do not withstand lack of maintenance anywhere near as much as a coupe, and dont forget...

cooling, cooling and more bloody cooling!
Posted By: Begbie

Re: What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 14/11/2007 00:28

Originally Posted By: shabba
If you want a fast car then buy a fast car in the first place.

Tuned cars = pits of money that you'll never get back.

and then you will want to make it faster, so step up RUF or AMG and spend £££££££££

Re: What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 14/11/2007 02:06

''If you want a fast car then buy a fast car in the first place.''

Exactly what Clarkson said in one of his videos!
Posted By: Cappo

Re: What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 14/11/2007 02:16

Originally Posted By: oxfordSteve
My reaction would be that if you want 400BHP, you should go out and buy a car that's already got it!

Definitely, and enjoy driving your 400bhp machine whilst placing your Coupe with a perfectionist restorer and having it brought back to better-than-new condition.

Worked for me, anyway....

Re: What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 14/11/2007 14:06

I'd say light tuning, giving a few extra bhp, it's worth it. But maxing out both power and your debit/credit card it's not.

\:\)
Posted By: Welformed

Re: What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 14/11/2007 14:38

Originally Posted By: 13ad13oy
Though I do own my Coupé 100% and it is only for a Trackcar/Toy so if it goes wrong then it's not such an issue.

Also I like a project

Just need to stop and think if the Coup is a good enough base?

You've got this the other way round to me. I'm looking for a track car - S2000, MX5, VX220 etc. something RWD. Something to get the backend out without causing an accident! Something to keep unmodified and just enjoy the handling.

I see no point in having a FWD car for the track. What? So you can understeer round bends all day? Nah, get RWD and have safe fun getting the rear out all day! \:\/

Use the Coop for a project car where true handling performance doesn't matter so much for road use, as you should never be driving at 100% (leaving no room for error). Also there peformance gains for so little mods/£££. Perfect for annyoing far more expensive machinery and it's driver... Furthermore the Coop is rare, and even rarer in styling looks, perfect for souping up and being different. This is before you consider the unique warble (and how you can make this louder) also good for cruising up and down high streets, should that be your street posey thang.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 14/11/2007 14:50

The main issues with the RX7s is the rebuilds and very high fuel consumption even while pootling round. They'll take 400bhp as has been said and out of the box the handling & brakes are absolutely spot on.

IMO for 400bhp get a R32 GTR (for RX7 money) and tune the RB26 lump. Either that or get a Supra TT. Both those engines won't bat an eyelid at 400bhp. Once you've got 400, you'll want more and those engines can take silly power.

It's all about how deep your pockets are!
Posted By: Cappo

Re: What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 14/11/2007 14:56

Originally Posted By: Welformed

You've got this the other way round to me. I'm looking for a track car - S2000, MX5, VX220 etc. something RWD. Something to get the backend out without causing an accident!

I wouldn't have the S2000 on my list if that's your criteria!
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: What would a fellow Coup owner say... - 14/11/2007 16:01

^^ LOL so true! \:D
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK