Fiat Coupe Club UK

Accidents and turbos

Posted By: Coupe_Don

Accidents and turbos - 13/11/2007 20:05

Hi all,

as some of you may be aware from my post a few weeks back my car has been written off after 4yrs of what can only be described as unconditional love! °\(
Anyway.......I was travelling at approx 25mph tops when the impact occured and I can't quite remeber if the car cut out immediately but im sure it must off, the point is its a superspool turbo with probably just 15,000 miles of use on a very well matained car always warmed up before warp speed and always left to 'breathe' a few mins after spirited driving.
I know the car cutting out at 25mph (in 3rd gear due to petrol costing ££££ these days) could mean the turbo still spinning and a cut in oil supply to the turbo but do you think it would have a seriously damaged the turbo?
As I write this I'm sure that its probably impossible to tell without checking but hey any thoughts are welcome it might mean that I reclaim the car for the turbo and other bits after/if the claim is settled.

Cheers
John
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Accidents and turbos - 13/11/2007 20:18

I would have thought it would be fine, if you have access to the car then pull off the intake pipe and give the blades a spin with your finger. see if there is any play in the shaft, if there is any resistance for them to spin, if they scrape the housing etc.
Posted By: Coupe_Don

Re: Accidents and turbos - 13/11/2007 20:30

Cheers mate, unfortunately I can't look at it as I got special treatment as my cars a 'high insurance group' so the insurance company removed it from the scene so it could be looked at quickly by them (although it was nearly 1 week later before they're engineer looked at it)

Cheers
John
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK