Fiat Coupe Club UK

How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.??

Posted By: Anonymous

How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 15/12/2008 16:15

Well, i thought i would start a nice little thread on the best ways to drive a turbo. To get maximum power.
through corners, out of corners etc to stay on boost, also today for instance, im behind a porsche, who wont move over,
turbos spooling up but i have to hold back he moves over i put my foot down and although pass, it didnt seem to fly past like i had hoped...
im sure people here have advice on how to drive a turbo correctly.

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 15/12/2008 16:43

no one? now i cant believe that.
Posted By: bockers

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 15/12/2008 16:44

like you stole it \:D

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 15/12/2008 16:53

Originally Posted By: bockers
like you stole it \:D

lol, i have been reading a few other forums they seem to have a lot of info on driving a turbo, how to take corners with outpower loss, waiting for spool up etc.
thought maybe someone could go in depth on here \:\)
Posted By: PeteP

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 15/12/2008 17:08

Perhaps we are not Laxpower here.
Posted By: growlingbear

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 15/12/2008 17:18

Good subject. Come on coupesters get your heads out from under the bonnet and your hands off your adjustable turbo boosts and give us your insight. I find it difficult enough to find a piece of road to let rip.

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 15/12/2008 17:49

If youre plodding along at 40 and want to overtake something, dont wait for it to spool up, shift down to 2nd and hang on.
Posted By: MattM

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 15/12/2008 18:21

Just keep them in the high revs. Brake hard and straight. Change down before corners not during them.
Posted By: Hyperlink

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 15/12/2008 18:42

the driving rules are pretty much the same as an NA. the only difference would be gear selection maybe to get best use of the turbo
Posted By: Guzbod

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 15/12/2008 19:07

You could post this in the Vs section ;\)

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 15/12/2008 19:12

Originally Posted By: Guzbod

lol.

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 15/12/2008 20:31

Originally Posted By: magicsy
 Originally Posted By: Guzbod

lol.

Yeah would have been perfect for vs section, the forum is boaring without it ZZZzzzzz
Posted By: skinflint

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 15/12/2008 23:56

The best technique I found for driving a turbo car is to stare at the oil pressure/temp and water temp gauges, occasionally looking out of the windows to avoid other traffic.
Posted By: JimO

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 16/12/2008 07:49

Its really not difficult, just keep the revs so the turbo is spooling for overtaking or if you want to power out of a corner. Its all about the boost, remember years ago Clarkson pitted an evo against a Skoda and the Skoda won, purely because the Evo was off boost.

So change down, or keep the revs high, or buy a new lower spooling turbo or buy another turbo car that has less lag or an NA/V6/V8/V10/V12 that has no lag \:#
Posted By: Roadking

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 16/12/2008 09:06

Originally Posted By: skinflint
The best technique I found for driving a turbo car is to stare at the oil pressure/temp and water temp gauges, occasionally looking out of the windows to avoid other traffic.

\:D
Posted By: Trappy

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 16/12/2008 09:24

Originally Posted By: magicsy
i have been reading a few other forums they seem to have a lot of info on driving a turbo, how to take corners with outpower loss, waiting for spool up etc.
thought maybe someone could go in depth on here \:\)

What forums have you seen this one before then? Sounds like pretty chavvy crap to me...

You don't drive a 'turbocharged' like x, because different tubos make a HUGE difference. I'd say you can drive a coop with a TB28 or hybrid turbo much more lazily than most NA cars. It will pull from 3,000rpm a lot sronger than any NA making similar peak power, and so you don't need to keep the revs up.

The old 'you need to keep them on the boil' saying applies only to cars running huge turbos or very revvy NAs like M3s or Vtecs IMO.
Posted By: AlistairM

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 16/12/2008 14:34

How to drive a turbo charged car? Carefully \:P

Re: How To Drive a TurboCharged Car.?? - 16/12/2008 15:23

i like to dip the clutch a bit getting into corners or rounabouts changing down gears, keeping the rev's high to pull out faster!

also a bit of engine braking but not too much and just feel what the car is doing and have as much fun with it as you possible can to the best of your ability!!

but drive it to have fun!!

Also try not to smash it up and be safe!!

or if you just dont care...as Blockers siad...Drive it like its stolen!!! \:D
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK