Fiat Coupe Club UK

what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted into?

Posted By: Anonymous

what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted into? - 26/10/2009 14:05

hi just wanted to know if anyone has ever covered this topic? i thought it might be interesting to see if the engine has been put into anything loney?
Posted By: bockers

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted into? - 26/10/2009 14:11

Yes it has been covered before. I'll see if I can track down the thread
Posted By: bockers

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted into? - 26/10/2009 14:18

Can't find it. But the 20V engine was a new modular design by Fiat and intended for use accross the car and commercial vehicle range. It was also designed as a 4 or 5 cylinder motor.

It has appear in some Lancias, a few Fiat Ducatto Vans, in 1.8 form it is in the Barchetta and on the continent there was a 1.8 Coupe. There is also the Bravo/Brava and the Stylo I believe. Probably a few more besides.

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted into? - 26/10/2009 15:19

Are you talking about retro-fitting or factory applications?

retro wise, ive seen them in puntos, bravos, tipos

a barchetta turbo would be pretty cool cool

how many cars were based around the tipo chassis? ive also read that the coupe and alfa share alot of simularities in chassis and floor plan

gtv

what about reverse transplanting? would other engines would fit in fiat coupe? would an alfa V6 fit in coupe love

Ninja
Posted By: gj88

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted into? - 26/10/2009 15:41

I've heard of a 20vt engine in a Multipla(sp?) if thats what you mean.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted into? - 26/10/2009 16:43

Don't forget that the prototype Grinnall Scorpion IV had "our" engine in, but in the end Fiat couldn't deliver and they plumped for an Audi 1.8 turbo engine rolleyes and all that was left was the rear lights (or is that the front? confused

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted i - 26/10/2009 18:02

I wouldn't bother with an Alfa V6 3.0 in the coupe. It provides just about the same power, but is far more thirsty.

I had a 3.0 GTV and it drank fuel far worse than the fiat, and was much less refined at speed, the alfa engines (except the newest ones) are all a bit 'raspy'.

Still love the GTV though, but if I had to drive my coupe to Manchester I wouldn't want a 3.0 Alfa V6 in it.

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted i - 27/10/2009 07:58

yes im looking to find out if anyone has shoe horned, kit car, transplanted the engine into other cars
Posted By: RusH

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted i - 27/10/2009 10:16

I'm aware of the following running a 20VT lump...

MK1 Fiat Punto
Fiat Marea - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=742162&d=0&nmt=
Bravo

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted i - 27/10/2009 12:57

looks cool but as iv said about bravos....why bother when theres the coupe?
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted i - 27/10/2009 13:01

Ask TurboJ!
Posted By: Begbie

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted i - 27/10/2009 14:24

Originally Posted By: TheAudioGuy
looks cool but as iv said about bravos....why bother when theres the coupe?

Why not? People are different and different things please different people. I had a coupe 16v turbo engine in my tipo. It surprised a few people and it was something i did and learnt a lot from.

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted i - 27/10/2009 17:24

its not really that much lighter then a coupe is it, and what a bellavor of a job, tipo rules as i love the old tin can fiats as a uno turbo owner lol

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted i - 27/10/2009 17:25

any one ever put one into a alfa?
Posted By: Ed

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted i - 27/10/2009 17:37

Apparently there's footage of someone running a 155 with the 20vt lump on youtube. Not difficult I would have thought, apart from the wiring, the 155 is very similar.
Really don't see the point of putting one in an Alfa though, the V6 is lovely.
I always thought the Alfa 2.0 V6 Turbo sounded interesting, sadly mainland Europe only, that engine.
Posted By: Begbie

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted i - 28/10/2009 10:11

Originally Posted By: TheAudioGuy
its not really that much lighter then a coupe is it, and what a bellavor of a job, tipo rules as i love the old tin can fiats as a uno turbo owner lol

Tipo weighs in at 1180KG so 100KG lighter than the coupe already. Managed to do a 14.2 1/4 mile with 200bhp as well. It was quite an easy job to do, drop old engine out, coupe engine in, couple of wiring amendments and that was it.

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted i - 28/10/2009 10:27

i was talking about the bravo

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted i - 30/10/2009 21:40

I use the fiat 16vt in my Lancia rally 037 replica,s there very tight width wise ive always wondered if the 20vt would go in as there a lot easier to find

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted i - 04/11/2009 22:19

can you put a 20vt lump in a 16v na?
Posted By: barnacle

Re: what' the 20v turbo engine been transplanted i - 04/11/2009 22:51

Don't even go there.

There are (in the UK) four engine options. Changing from a non-turbo to a turbo of the same cylinder count requires the ECU, gearbox, gearchange linkages, driveshafts, brakes, wishbones, front suspension, all the plumbing, steering rack, and possibly some of the cabling.

Changing between engine types - 16 to 20 or 20 to 16 - will require all the above plus the engine bay cabling and cabin wiring in pretty much its entirety.

Even changing from a non-aircon to aircon, or vice versa, is a non-trivial and not-cheap task.

Basically, these are the same shells, but that's about it. You'd need so much from the donor vehicle that you will almost certainly be better selling yours and getting a good donor. It will help if you have a well-equiped garage with ramps, but the job's basically not worth the candle.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK