Fiat Coupe Club UK

Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee

Posted By: Anonymous

Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 15:11

Since taking delivery of my lovely new Plus, I've have a seen the return of a problem with my knee that I haven't had since owning a new vectra back in 1998. Which had (supposed) ergonomically designed seats.

Basically, the driving position of the Plus seats is raised higher than those in a standard 20VT.

I get this really sort of burning/aching pain in my right knee, and, I can only get relief by pushing the seat right back making my leg straighter, of course, this is not a good driving position ... obviously. Never had the problem with the lower 20VT seating position.

Has anyone else suffered this? Maybe these plus seats are not right for me! Not good news!
Posted By: JimO

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 15:15

Never heard of it before, you could try jacking the seat up at the back with washers, to see if that helps, it would straighten your leg marginally.

Or you could try a beaded seat cover, cabbies wear by them wink

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 15:19

Like the washers idea Jim, will try that one thumb
Posted By: szkom

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 15:31

It might be twisting in to the seat is slightly different in the plus which is aggravated by the different seating position. I have more of a problem in the coupe than my old Rover owing to having to twist around the steering wheel to get in (my legs fit under in the Rover)

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 15:46

another plus item you may have to get rid of phil... laugh

maybe swap them with nigel's hyundai seats which are also very nice? you will certainly need to be comforable with them driving to.from and around spa!

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 16:00

I don't think it's the twisting szkom, it's the position or angle of my leg/knee when driving - you know, it's pretty static when doing this. Shame it's not the clutch leg as you can at least move this one!

If there were a way to lower the seat, I'm sure this would help!

Proccy, don't get me thinking that way! wink
Posted By: szkom

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 16:12

With me though I twist my knee when getting in, I can feel I've set it off, then it hurts to have my knee at a certain angle, but better when straightened. Maybe a physio could give you some exercises to do to help?
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 16:53

I have had knee problems in every car I have ever owned bar the coupe and the bravo. The Mr2 was by far the worse with a spreading burning pain developing after 1+ hour of driving.

With me it looks like its a height issue, the lower I am the worse it gets
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 17:23

Patch - you're welcome to come and try my Hyundai seats - they have an adjustable seat base, so you can alter the angle of the seat - it makes quite a bit of difference on a long drive
Posted By: sugerbear

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 17:23

Next thread will be "I dont like the red bits, spoilers and the honeycombe grille on my plus" lol.

Never had a problem with the driving position. Have you tried a laying the seats backs more and adjusting the steering wheel (up down and forward back) ? and also knocking the seat back and forwards to see if the problem with your knee improves.

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 17:30

I'm not looking to lose the Plus seats Nigel. I just need to find a solution to prevent the knee issue. Thanks for the kind offer though smile

Sugarbear - I have tried many seat positions/adjustments before bothering to post the thread wink

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 18:54

they give me backake
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 20:00

I used to get the burning/aching pain in my knee when I had my Fiesta if i had to drive it for more than an hour.

With the Coupe, I find I can usually go about 2 hours before this happens now.

Haven't driven a Plus on long distance though, so don't know how long it would take before my knee started hurting in one. I'm sure I'll find out in June though laugh

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 20:55

Originally Posted By: Theresa

Haven't driven a Plus on long distance though, so don't know how long it would take before my knee started hurting in one. I'm sure I'll find out in June though laugh

if it's not broken again!! rolleyes
Posted By: mr_tickle

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 20:58

I've been thinking about mentioning this for a while now - It's not my knee but my right foor.
I find it uncomfortable to hold my foot up on the accelerator.
my calf aches because it feels like I have to my foot it up very high. Also travelling on the motorway just aches because the pedal is too light.
I have found myself rolling my foot over to the right so that it also rests on the carpet.
How does anyone else find this - any tips?

It's much worse in my citroen , but then I get to use crise control smile
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 21:20

Originally Posted By: mr_tickle

I have found myself rolling my foot over to the right so that it also rests on the carpet.
How does anyone else find this - any tips?

shocked Funny how you only think it's you with the problem, until someone else mentions it.

I do the same with my foot and I think that's what causes most of the problems.

I only realise when I'm in pain and then re adjust my foot, etc, to get it squarely on the accelerator again and try not to slip back into putting my foot over onto the carpet.

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 22:13

Well, driving back from Wales tonight, I took off my trainer, the pain was still there but it seemed more bearable! Seems that the difference in foot height between wearing it and not wearing it helped a little - how bizzare!

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 22:19

Originally Posted By: patch234
Since taking delivery of my lovely new Plus, I've have a seen the return of a problem with my knee that I haven't had since owning a new vectra back in 1998. Which had (supposed) ergonomically designed seats.

Basically, the driving position of the Plus seats is raised higher than those in a standard 20VT.

I get this really sort of burning/aching pain in my right knee, and, I can only get relief by pushing the seat right back making my leg straighter, of course, this is not a good driving position ... obviously. Never had the problem with the lower 20VT seating position.

Has anyone else suffered this? Maybe these plus seats are not right for me! Not good news!

On the one long journey (300 miles) undertaken since I bought my 16v last week - I had exactly the same....I ended up placing a neck cushion (bought at the services and horseshoe shaped) under my rigt leg at the end of the seat squab...not sure if the squab is too short or if I can adjust the seat to compensate but the basic problem seems to be a lack of support...

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 22:22

try taking out the rubber mounts the seats sit on,and put in rubber washer,and you'll be that half inch closer to the ground.

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 22:23

Another great suggestion - cheers zonta thumb
Posted By: Taffy20vt

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 22:37

I dont have any problems with my recaro's, but then again im younger than you lot tongue laugh

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 21/02/2010 22:41

Originally Posted By: Taffy20vt
I dont have any problems with my recaro's, but then again im younger than you lot tongue laugh

You young whipper snapper, enjoy it while it lasts. smile

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 22/02/2010 12:22

Originally Posted By: patch234
Originally Posted By: Taffy20vt

You young whipper snapper, enjoy it while it lasts. smile

i'm older than you lot, but i have no problems either - mainly cuz it's nearly always off the road.... laugh

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 22/02/2010 12:24

how many days is that now then proccy!

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 22/02/2010 12:30

what, on or off the road? still off at the mo, waiting for the aa to take it to motormech rolleyes

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 22/02/2010 12:32

cry Thats most annoying
Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 22/02/2010 12:57

What is wrong with it now Steve?
Posted By: MrCooper

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 22/02/2010 13:14

Your car is pi55ed that you stripped it of its wheels.

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 22/02/2010 13:41

Originally Posted By: Sedicivalvole

bought an uprated fuel pump - and it failed after 31 miles rolleyes

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 22/02/2010 13:45

Originally Posted By: samsite999
I have had knee problems in every car I have ever owned bar the coupe and the bravo. The Mr2 was by far the worse with a spreading burning pain developing after 1+ hour of driving.

With me it looks like its a height issue, the lower I am the worse it gets

Lol i have a differant height issue as im 6ft 7 and find myself cramped up in nearly every car i sit in bar the coop
Posted By: mr_tickle

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 22/02/2010 14:59

..and back on topic rolleyes

Thinking about this has given me an idea - I am going to experiment with applying elastic bands between the accelerator and bulkhead or seeing if I can uprate the return spring.

If I can improve the amount of resistance in pressing the pedal it should be able to hold the natural weight of my foot and leg without me having to twist my foot to stop getting calf strain.

I'll let you know how it gets on.

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 22/02/2010 15:12

Originally Posted By: mr_tickle
I am going to experiment with applying elastic bands between the accelerator and bulkhead

What could go wrong?!

laugh

I would pay good money for cruse control on my coupe

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 22/02/2010 15:28

Originally Posted By: proccy

Never rains but it pours huh... Just bad luck I presume? Sorry to hear that matey.

Shouldn't modify it wink

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 22/02/2010 16:33

Originally Posted By: proccy

Never rains but it pours huh... Just bad luck I presume? Sorry to hear that matey.

Shouldn't modify it wink

that's it, get the cheap dig in - it wasn't a mod so much as a safety (fuelling) move. anyway any fuel pump can fail, i was unlucky - and now she's flying again cool

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 22/02/2010 18:28

Originally Posted By: zonta
try taking out the rubber mounts the seats sit on,and put in rubber washer,and you'll be that half inch closer to the ground.

update,if you do this remove the all mounts, and replace the rear mounts with front mounts (there thinner)then use rubber washers for fronts,i just fitted my carellis like this and iam very happy.

also use front bolts for rear and you'll need shorter bolts for front

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 22/02/2010 19:08

Proccy it was not a dig honestly laugh

performance or safety a mod is still a mod tongue

On a more serious note I'm sorry about the bad luck you are having. You seem to be having more than your fair share.
Posted By: bikenut55

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 24/02/2010 02:49

When I first got my coupe I used to get a really bad pain in my right hip if I was driving for any more than 45-50 minutes.

I used to twist so I was facing the door sligtly inorder to ease the pain. I didn't do anything about it and after a few months, the pain just went away.

Re: Worrying problem - Plus seats hurt my knee - 24/02/2010 11:43

Had my Coupe for about 6 months now and recently I have been having the same problem in my right knee. Have any of those ideas worked for you? (because as you know it kills!!!)
James
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK