Fiat Coupe Club UK

decsion time coming

Posted By: Anonymous

decsion time coming - 29/10/2010 00:09

hi guys i know ive been quiet for a month or so but ive been thinking about my coupe
its a 98 porto but theres a few niggles with the carthats stopping me enjoying it,OPTION
1, get the 350 worth of damage to the rear of the car fixed(quote from body shop,replace the passenger door has been keyed twice now frown and then theres the service oil change rear brakes disc are possible due for renewal soon and then when hot the pressure drops to 1.5, so i rekon im looking at around the £1000 mark to get the coupe back to a nice status,so is it worth spending all that money on the car
or OPTION 2 ill have 2k saved up by feb next year,so with that money buy an already good condition 20vt,ps whats a reasonable scrap valuation for my porto?
im already thinking of another colour maybe inky,sprinty or a silver cloud9
Posted By: Theresa

Re: decsion time coming - 29/10/2010 00:44

Depends how much you love your Coupe.

I'd get mine sorted if it was me, but it's not and it's only 4 months to go before you have 2K saved.

Head over heart, I'd probably go for Option 2.

Re: decsion time coming - 29/10/2010 00:57

Sometimes it's a case of better the devil you know. And remember, the grass maybe greener on the other side, but it's still just grass.

It's late, I should go to bed.

Re: decsion time coming - 29/10/2010 02:00

So it's between spending £1000 to make your Coupe nice, or buying a nice Coupe for £2000 (which may need more spending on it).

I'd go for option 1, put the cash into your current Coupe and pocket the difference.

Re: decsion time coming - 29/10/2010 08:53

I wouldn't be happy with that oil pressure - is it running low on oil?

You do take a chance if you chop it in but I just sold my old coupe for £1500 with a new clutch, refurbed turbo and 18m old discs/brakes. Not perfect bodywork but not keyed or dented.

You take a chance though, even seemingly well serviced cars might have never got the oil checked and they don't like running low!
Posted By: MCMike

Re: decsion time coming - 29/10/2010 08:58

Hot oil presssure of 1.5 is acceptable, depends on what oil you use.

Re: decsion time coming - 29/10/2010 10:44

option 2, dump the porto marco

Re: decsion time coming - 29/10/2010 11:06

Depends, whats the oil temp when it is at 1.5 bar, dont look at water temp.

Personally, sometimes I hate my Porto, and hanker after a sprinty or snot green, but then i give mine a wash and a polish, and remember that there is pretty much no other car on the road that has a colour like it apart from fellow Porto owners, I love it really.

Get some good quality oil in there along wiith an engine flush, and keep an eye on your oil temp, it may not be the engine at all, more a case of a knackered old oil cooler that cant cool the oil efficiently anymore.

Keep it.

Davie

Re: decsion time coming - 29/10/2010 11:12

When I bought my old one in 2007 the oil pressure dropped to 1.5 bar, I changed from 10W40 semi synth to Silkolene 10W50 fully synth and it never went below 2 bar again, still going strong today.
Posted By: srm6

Re: decsion time coming - 29/10/2010 13:25

I would keep it.

At least you know what needs to doing on your current one - and you will probably have change from the cost of option 2 (which almost certainly need something doing)!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK