Fiat Coupe Club UK

Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!!

Posted By: coupedummy

Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 06/02/2011 17:14

Sitting on the m42 broken down with no water and dead engine as we stand noticed far too late I suspect.gunna be a long old nite...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 17:17

banghead

sorry to hear this matey
Posted By: ikon

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 17:19

oh no! Sorry to hear this coupedummy. Have you called the aa/rac?

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 17:22

how far down are you on the m42, do you know how long the recover people will be

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 17:26

Gutted mate.

Any thing I can do to help??
I will pm you my number if you need any thing, call me!

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 17:29

Waiting for recovery...try and add some water and see if she starts....coolant hose of death strikes again I think...gutted if so as I was booked in on the 19th too have it replaced...

Plan of action...wait for recovery...
Add water...
Notice and leaks...
quick turn over
Fingers crossed starts and oil pressure...
If not bugger....
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 18:00

gutted to hear this frown when yours came in to the car park today, we were talking about colors. I said I wouldnt have a wine read one unless it looked like yours!

I would just let it cool mate, dont try and turn it over till you can see everything in the light of day

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 18:04

Gutted for you, happened to me once on christmas eve... and i was just driving the car home after buying it !
Hope its not too major.
Posted By: gj88

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 18:05

Sorry to hear about this. What a nightmare.

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 18:15

sorry to hear this! hope it all works out okay!

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 18:55

gutted for you mate, but you'll sort it. yes today was a bad day but you have a good car there

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 18:56

Sorry to hear that mate, gutted for you.

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 19:03

Sorry to hear this. Hope you get lucky.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 19:03

Sorry to hear this Reuban frown
Posted By: stan

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 19:18

Sorry to hear this too Reuben, hope it isn't terminal and you get it sorted, you've put too much work, time and effort into getting the car to where it is now so don't give up, even if it means replacing the lump!

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 19:22

Come on Reubs, chin up mate, these things are sent to test us! Fingers crossed for you
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 19:31

Hope it's not terminal Reuben frown

Good luck getting it sorted. You've got the backing of the forum!
Posted By: Hovedan

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 19:54

Reubs, keep us posted on developments. Can't believe this happened when we were all en route home, especially after all the bad luck that had already happened earlier in the day frown

Hope the recovery services found you in that "non existent" area on the M42?! Fingers crossed...

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 20:00

Ok just got in (19:30)

which on a recovery basis think is excellent. Thankyou footman james...the recovery was great.

From the start i failed to read the signs and missed high temp in 130's and another member pointing at the car around 10 mile before.. doh!

Pulled over on the m42

Opened the bonnet,smoke from rear of the block and no water in the bottle.

Thanks guys for assisting and dan trying to console me... cry

The guys left me after i phoned the recovery....

First lorry turned up in around 35-40mins but couldn't collect the car due to being to low.
Checked around the rear of the block an looks like there is some evidence of water...
Being very impatient i wanted to know the situation with the car and asked for some water....

After adding loads and loads of water and waiting for it to cool i decided to crank it over.

Little bit rough to start but started and oil pressure shot up to 3 bar as hoped and no real unusual sounds..

The recovery driver asked if i has happy to limp the car a mile and a half to the next junction to get me somewhere safe until the flat bed could come and get me.

I decided to limp the car up to the next junction and park up at the services.Temp never rose over 70 degrees in that time.Pulled up check water and lost half a bottle.

Next driver arrived 30 mins later ,drove onto flat bed and brought me home.

Car is now safe on the drive..was tiny bit rough on idle but will top up fluids and carry out a compression test as soon as possible.

Fingers crossed not head gasket failure.... but strong possibility though ....or chod..

Thanks for the concern guys...hope its not major...
Posted By: charlie_croker

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 20:01

Fingers crossed for you mate.. frown

Good luck..

Will be replacing my CHOD without delay.

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 20:08

Although gutted really feel for the other fella with the bonnet flip earlier.Gutted for him..

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 20:15

At least it's not the worst news Reuben. I said this meet was jinxed!

What a ridiculously windy day too.

I think i'll continue to leave my coop at home and come up with Dan if this is the normal attrition rate for a forum meet frown

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 20:37

Nothing seized and oil pressure good are +ve signs Reub. After today's events best take some comfort where you can.

Long may the good luck continue for the compression tests.

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 20:41

Sounds promising, glad you got back safe. what a weird coupe day
Posted By: Darlo_Nick

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 20:42

Gutted for you mate, hope it's nothing too serious!

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 21:04

Originally Posted By: samsite999
what a weird coupe day

Too right...3 coupes down today...

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 21:05

Fingers and ignition leads crossed for you dude.
Posted By: ikon

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 21:23

Originally Posted By: coupedummy
Originally Posted By: samsite999
what a weird coupe day

Too right...3 coupes down today...

3! who were the other 3?

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 21:27

jbt catastrophic gearbox failure, johnny (jbt's mate) bonnet flipped at about 80-85 under extreme acceleration busting the bonnet, the sunroof and looks to have buckled the roof. then reuben, just an awful run of luck cry
Posted By: MattM

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 21:35

Those gaskets are really substantial. My old coop overheated many many times and was still fine. I think your car will be fine.
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 21:35

So sorry to read all this. Stay safe lad's and lasses
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 21:38

Ouch! Unlucky CD. I think I'd much rather have your (sorry) predicament than the sprinty though, that's gotta be a write-off. Hopefully yours will be okay (fingers crossed)

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 21:46

Originally Posted By: pinin_prestatyn
Ouch! Unlucky CD. I think I'd much rather have your (sorry) predicament than the sprinty though, that's gotta be a write-off. Hopefully yours will be okay (fingers crossed)

Agreed pinin,such a shame.Was a lovely sprinty and did look like a write off after with creases in roof and sunroof all out of shape.

Originally Posted By: MattM
Those gaskets are really substantial. My old coop overheated many many times and was still fine. I think your car will be fine.

Cheers mate,gives me alittle confidence that no major damage..was no water there at all though...

Eitherway i will be at spa..in mine or something else italian

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 22:02

Hope all is good in the light of day cheers
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 06/02/2011 22:25

Sounds like a very very bad day. Hope the things that are unknown still will turn out positive.
Posted By: JKD

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 07/02/2011 01:28

Fingers crossed for you coupedummy, hopefully its nothing serious.

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 07/02/2011 08:34

Im sure will be okay, ythe coolant loss indicates something amiss but i'd say to run and hold pressure etc can't be serious, prob a smaller coolant hose thats popped or something, there are plenty to go at. If i can help at all, or you could use a spare pair of hands, pm me, and will do all I can for you mate
Posted By: coupe_integrale

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 07/02/2011 08:59

Good to meet you yesterday Reuben, such a shame it ended the way it did for you.

Fingers crossed it's nothing major! Sorry about buggering off like I did but couldn't really offer any help and was seriously late meeting the missus!

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 07/02/2011 09:16

Coupe integrale did 3 of you get lost? You started followin me and the sprinty??

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 07/02/2011 09:32

Doesnt look great atm...just tried starting it after checking shes got fluids and she wad cranking not firing....after about a minute of that it started abeit very rough ...few revs idles fine and revs freely. Oil pressure good aswell.
Lots of white smoke though....
Reckon im losing compression and head gasket faluire gutted
Posted By: coupe_integrale

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 07/02/2011 09:33

Did indeed! I had no idea where we were going so set off after the next car to leave the hard shoulder... Unfortunately we were all doing the same thing! Luckily the post code for the pub was on here so satnav sorted us out.

Quite a sight to see you two coming over that bridge!

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 07/02/2011 09:36

You will never blow the gasket pal,there very substancial and a 3 piece metal gasket at that.
The main concern will be the temps may have caused internal damage due to the heat.
I have seen these engines read 150 degrees on my scanner before and they have been ok.
You did all the right things so im confident youll get away with it.
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 07/02/2011 12:42

Sorry to hear this Ruben, hopefully it's a simple fix and you'll be all sorted laugh
Posted By: MCMike

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 07/02/2011 15:17

V sorry to hear this mate, only just catching up on the forum - fingers crossed, I have a compression tester if you need it.

Fingers crossed for you.

cry

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 07/02/2011 15:33

fingers crossed mate the damage aint to bad frown

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 07/02/2011 16:05

When my CHOD went on my Scottie (on the way to the AGM) the engine survived the temporary overheating - unfortunately the turbo didn't, and had to replace it about six weeks after. It just got cooked, and would never have passed an MOT..... frown . Not terminal though thumb .

Good luck with yours,

Tim

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 07/02/2011 21:08

Cheers guys...im being very impatient.. Started her up again just now as i got in from work...first time on the button..
What worried me was the long time it took to fire this morning...around 40 secs of cranking first.

Good oil pressure and sounds very normal....still water in the bottle so its losing under pressure

Fingers crossed.... Im going to do a compression test as soon as i get home when its light..hopefully tomorrow. If results are decent and even, CHOD i will be changing on the drive along with anything else leaking. Rad feels damp on the surface to touch.. Could do without a big bill really.
Posted By: Rudidudi

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 07/02/2011 21:36

good luck buddy, let us know how it goes

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 17:40

Ok for the numbers... 6,9,16,27,38,42...

Oh compressions test figures..

Seems i have done some damage. she still runs well with oil pressure...so assuming just the head gasket
But seems i have also burst the oil cooler as well possible with the heat. Problem is i bought a braided set from matt but cant find them. Seems i have lost them...double dam

Gutted,i will still get something sorted for spa but maybe not be attending in this coupe...

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 17:47

sorry to hear mate, hope its sorted soon cry

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 17:52

glad to hear that its not terminal and that she will be back!

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 18:09

still gutted for you Reub, but with 4 months to go before Spa you should be able to rectify the situation. good luck mate

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 18:13

Wish it was that simple,im saving spends atm for Dubai/Maldives in April. I have the Stilo jtd available so will be there.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 18:29

Reuben - I'm wondering if your engine has gone the same way as mine when I lost all my coolant

The head gasket was fine, but I'd damaged the rings (or bores) - compression was well down, but after I'd topped the coolant up, it didn't lose any (confirming the intact head gasket)

At this point, the cheapest fix (by far) was a decent secondhand lump, fitted by Motormech in a couple of days

If you decide to have your existing engine fixed, the bill could be just as big AND you'll be off the road for much longer

You need to find out if its the gasket or the rings - I'd put money on the latter

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 18:44

Possibly Nigel,lost coolant and cooked itself to the point it cut out.I was tired and dozy and just missed the signs..

How would i find out..would it mean removing the head?

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 18:46

Gutted for you fella.

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 18:48

If it does end up a new lump it may be end of the road...

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 18:51

Well that's not too far to go for a new lump laugh

(Attempted injection of humour, in sad conversation)

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 19:43

lol @ truffle, always the comedian.

Gutted for you Reub, she's too nice to contemplate not fixing, surely?
Posted By: mayzon

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 20:00

Ah Reub this is bad news! If you need any help of any kind I'm only down the road, could be with you in 20 mins smile

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 20:01

Just time and money..It will be fixed eventually but likely not this side of summer at least. Will try and store the coupe in the garage for now until decisions are made.
Money is the issue atm.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 20:26

The easiest way to find out is to do a dry compression test, followed immediately by a wet test, where a little bit of engine oil is dropped down the plug hole, then the test is repeated - if the compression improves with the wet test, its your pistons / rings / bores. If the compression doesn't improve, its the head gasket.

If its the head gasket, a few hundred should sort it (would be daft not to do the cambelt while the head is off)

If its the pistons / rings, its a biggie to repair - would definitely be cheaper to swap lumps with a known good secondhand unit

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 21:02

Thankyou nigel,the above results are a dry test so will do a wet test tomorrow and fingers crossed it is the gasket.

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 21:14

It wont be the gasket,double check the figures but if there low like that then the engine is damaged.
Dont rebuild it especially at that mileage regardless of what advice you get.
Engines are cheap enough to get now so do a swap as its a weekends work.

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 21:36

Hey reuben. I'm really sorry to read this mate. Are you aiming to have the car sorted by june? Can understand if not. If I can help in any way please let me know and ill come up mate.

Know how you feel money wise though. I don't know if I'll be able to do half the stuff I intended by spa..

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 22:09

Cheers Howard.Need to sort these springs out somehow.

I always said this would be my last turbo coupe if its anything major such as the lump..hmm frown
What would i do with it as it is?Break it? cry cry cry

Arhhhhh this is racking my brain completely confused

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 22:23

Take you'r time Reuben and dont rush into anything. Sleep a few night's on it mate.
You are in a strange situation with you'r car,as it's in nice condition .
So you are torn between another engine or strip it and sell for part's.
There may be an engine around the corner mate.Check out who is breaking their coupe's. Could be one there.

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 22:23

Originally Posted By: Nigel

If its the pistons / rings, its a biggie to repair - would definitely be cheaper to swap lumps with a known good secondhand unit

Got to say a set of ring's a set of bearings and a honeing tool will not cost a lot! would have thought it would add £120 to the price of doing the head gasket
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 09/02/2011 22:45

I don't think Reuben can do the work himself though Adam, so quite a bit of extra labour cost there.
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 10/02/2011 00:06

... And new pistons.

Really hope you put another engine in it, think of all the fun you already had in it!

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 12/02/2011 10:12

Unsure of the plan yet,Joes going to have a look as he can collect it on the 19th.
Ive drained the battery from the cranking before with plugs out so needs another charge..

On the upside i have found the oil cooler and braided hoses that i mislaid so that is another bill i dont have to worry about.

It defiantly leaking from the driver side near the wheel so oil cooler looks to have damaged with heat. Soon see the damage report...
For spa...
If i wont be in the coupe it maybe the stilo JTD

Watchout NA coupe's!

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 12/02/2011 10:23

On the bright side, at least you wont be the only stilo going!

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 12/02/2011 18:42

Quote:
Got to say a set of ring's a set of bearings and a honeing tool will not cost a lot! would have thought it would add £120 to the price of doing the head gasket

Are you real???
This will take 3 times as long so wont be cheaper at all.
On top of that bearings,honeing and rings cost more than £120.

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 19/02/2011 11:47

Joes just collected the coupe,few quick tests and looks like headgasket..Joe will get the head off for a look

Fingers crossed no huge issues,found water leak..chod for sure dropped all my coolant.Not in one go but enough over the few miles.Will be swapped for silicon one which was booked in for today anyway.

Should come back with some extra toys as well.
Thanks guys for the advice..Joe had a recovery truck which makes life easier than trying to get to any other mechanic.

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 19/02/2011 12:37

Good luck mate! Hope the damage to the wallet is limited!
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 19/02/2011 12:58

Compression and Leakdown test showed head gasket cooked between cylinders 2, 3 and 4, water and oil clear so the loss of water and heat hasn't done any major damage to the rest of the engine.

Head off, pressure test, skim and rebuild with the new silicone CHOD, I'll get the valves lapped as well as she's got some mileage on this one now but it's still one of the best engines I know running today.

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 19/02/2011 13:07

Good news rueb, best of luck bud,having seen what you are going through, I'm keeping my coop, sod it,, I love it to bits,

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 19/02/2011 15:18

Cheers pal...if your keeping it belts and coolant hose of death

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 19/02/2011 18:32

Just put a new aux belt on it today and goes and does this now... Dies and locks me out,, So what's time scale for your coupe? What's next for it aswell mod eise?

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 19/02/2011 18:48

Few suspension toys going on,braided oil hoses etc

Timescale...no rush..gotta save for the bill..lol

Re: Likely another dead coupe - 19/02/2011 19:06

Bet the misses is really happy haha

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 21/05/2011 20:25

After over three month's my coupe is finally back with me...

Gotta thank joe(countycruising) and jake for all the help with reviving my coupe and being patient with me.

She drive beautifully especially as she ended up with a new engine and a few other trick bits...

New engine
Braided oil lines and cooler
rear arb
bilsteins
plus rims and t1r's
new radiator
new silione chod and turbo water feed hose
ac removal
new ebv
new clutch
plus much more im sure.

she drives so planted now and with an new ebv she is now boosting to 1bar rather than the 0.5-0.7 bar i was getting previously....(be embarrassed if i overtook you at spa last year,was boosting like that all the while)

Car feels quick and nimble..
A few photos from today..not properly washed yet
click to enlarge
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 21/05/2011 20:31

great news Reub, and well done to the CC crew bow bow
Posted By: mayzon

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 21/05/2011 20:58

Great news Reub, glad to see the car back thumb

Spa next smile

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 21/05/2011 21:10

Nice thumb

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 21/05/2011 21:16

Good to here and see Reubs!!!

Bet it was well worth the wait!!!

Ross
Posted By: knight7660

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 21/05/2011 21:19

good to hear its alive again and its look very nice in the pics mate

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 21/05/2011 21:20

Nice one Reuben, and well done Joe too. It looks just like mine - i.e. gorgeous! wink thumb

You must be a happy man.

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 21/05/2011 21:20

Allelujah!!

Great news mate; enjoy laugh

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 21/05/2011 21:26

looks great mate....:-)
Posted By: mr_tickle

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 21/05/2011 21:40

Everyone loves a resurection.

Especially on May 21st at 6PM

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 21/05/2011 22:22

Very nice.....deep pockets!

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 21/05/2011 23:25

Great stuff ! see you at Spa mate laugh cool smile

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 22/05/2011 00:39

How a coupe should look imo. Well done.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 22/05/2011 01:13

Excellent news cool

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 22/05/2011 02:26

Made up for you mate ! As you know. Feel that deep red love laugh

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 22/05/2011 09:59

Great stuff fella.

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 22/05/2011 10:31

Brilliant news Reub, see you at the Spa camp site in our passion wagon marco

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 22/05/2011 10:33

Thanks guys for the comments ...correction dan...palace.of love

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 22/05/2011 19:21

Another coupe cutting it fine with Spa laugh

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 22/05/2011 19:27

hopefully john,hopefully...look forward to your offerings also.

Re: Likely another dead coupe...Confirmed....alive!!! - 22/05/2011 19:36

Originally Posted By: coupedummy
hopefully john,hopefully...look forward to your offerings also.

Haha,your having a laugh right.Its booked in with Flea on Friday.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK