Fiat Coupe Club UK

Laying up the coupe advice.

Posted By: mr_tickle

Laying up the coupe advice. - 24/03/2011 15:21

I am considering garaging the coupe for 12 months and was wondering what preparations would help to preserve it well.

It will be kept in a dry, warm garage. but a long way from home. I will probably only be able to see it twice over the year it's laid up.

I have a few ideas, please feel free to add.

Remove battery
Jack up car and lower it onto supports so that the weight does not deform the tyres.
leave windows open slightly
wash, polish and wax badywork.
Cover with sheet to keep off dust etc but without it touching the bodywork
Sorn & inform insurance for possible premium reduction.
Leave behind and have a little cry.

If this was a normal coupe I'd just sell it and buy another in a year, but because it's an Ubur rare red plus of which there are less than 10 left I'm keeping it.
I have already spent a lot of money on her so far and it is my intention to complete the full restoration next year.

Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Laying up the coupe advice. - 24/03/2011 20:09

I think you've included everything you need to do in your list, so it should all be good in 12 months time smile
Posted By: Hovedan

Re: Laying up the coupe advice. - 24/03/2011 20:14

Why Tony why? cry

Re: Laying up the coupe advice. - 24/03/2011 20:22

I'm throwing all of my spare cash (I own a coupe so it's not much laugh ) at a small business venture.
If it pays off quicker or better than I anticipate she may come out to play sooner.
I currently own and drive 4 cars, I was contemplating selling 2 of them to include the coupe. But after having a long think I don't think I could part with her. Instead I'm selling 1 and mothballing the coupe.
One think I do know is that using a coupe in winter is not much fun, they don't like the cold weather and keeping on top of maintenance is hard work.

I may tell all when I see you at Auto Italia. The car is going away 3 days after the event so it will be her last outing for a while.

I still want to come to some events with you though Dan - maybe Brooklands?
Posted By: Hovedan

Re: Laying up the coupe advice. - 24/03/2011 20:28

I look forward to hearing about it, sounds promising. Speculate to accumulate smile

Will have a good natter at Bristol Auto Italia. blabla
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Laying up the coupe advice. - 24/03/2011 20:58

I look forward to hearing your new business plans at Bristol Tony thumb

Maybe get a couple of those dehumidifier crystal canisters, one for the boot and the other behind the front seats, it maybe be warm at the moment but it won't hurt.
Posted By: Rudidudi

Re: Laying up the coupe advice. - 25/03/2011 08:47

Originally Posted By: Countrycruising
Maybe get a couple of those dehumidifier crystal canisters

As an owner of classic minis (they leak loads) I can confirm that cat litter works pretty well too smile
Posted By: andy2

Re: Laying up the coupe advice. - 26/03/2011 08:49

Get some 'Tyre Savers' for the wheels - basically yellow curved plastic supports that go on the floor under each wheel. These support the tyre over a much bigger area and prevent flat spots. No need to jack the car up then. About £15 a set from memory.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Laying up the coupe advice. - 26/03/2011 10:39

And some matching little yellow pointy things to go over the nuts...

<grin, duck, run...>

Re: Laying up the coupe advice. - 26/03/2011 11:06

Barnacle, have you got a little yellow pointy thing to go over your nuts?

Battery Question

Is it better to store the battery:

Charged, flat or dry (drain the acid)?
Posted By: andy2

Re: Laying up the coupe advice. - 27/03/2011 11:44

I've left my battery connected and just hook it up to a trickle charger (CTEK is the best brand) to keep fully topped up every 3-4 weeks.

No ill effects so far but we'll know more once the car comes out of hibernation in a couple of weeks time.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Laying up the coupe advice. - 27/03/2011 11:57

There is no correct way to store a lead acid battery, charged or discharged. I suspect after a year of non use, it will be time for a new battery.
Posted By: knight7660

Re: Laying up the coupe advice. - 27/03/2011 14:31

just unplug the battery and cover the terminals so they dont corrode make sure its had a good charge before its put to bed.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK