Fiat Coupe Club UK

Guardian word of the week: Fiat

Posted By: respace

Guardian word of the week: Fiat - 15/09/2019 17:38

Don't know if anyone else saw this, I'm used to been abused with derogatory comments about the meaning of Fiat but was interested in the actual meaning, several have a direct relation to our cars. For example Parliament prorogation was described as an 'executive fiat' (clearly a LE or a Plus), in Latin it means 'Let it be done' (clearly a reference to the club motto; 'check the oil'), obviously 'fiat lux'(let there be light) refers to the headlights. There is also 'fiat money', money created out of nothing in our case it relates to the cost of maintaining our cars.
Posted By: jaaps2

Re: Guardian word of the week: Fiat - 15/09/2019 18:13

I’m following brexit for a year now as my daily soap. Both fiat and coup (without e) are being used often.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Guardian word of the week: Fiat - 15/09/2019 20:09

Originally Posted by respace
...There is also 'fiat money', money created out of nothing in our case it relates to the cost of maintaining our cars.

laugh
Posted By: andyps

Re: Guardian word of the week: Fiat - 16/09/2019 09:04

Originally Posted by jaaps2
I’m following brexit for a year now as my daily soap. Both fiat and coup (without e) are being used often.

There was a trending hashtag on Twitter of #StoptheCoupe - I joined in commenting that it is hard enough keeping a 21 year old 204k mile Fiat going as it is without Twitter ganging up to try and stop it.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK