Fiat Coupe Club UK

Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers

Posted By: Ali_and_Marvin

Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 19/08/2021 16:12

Not sure if this should be here or in Coupé Related Chat...
Whilst at the Silverstone Classic I stopped by the Mike Brewer car clinic stage just as he was saying what cars he'd like to 'restore' confused I thought he said a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo.

Turns out that was a clever way of advertising what's in his new series as I went to have a chat when the show was closing Mike said he's already done one. He said it will be aired on the Discovery channel in October (I forget the date). I'll have to wait for it to come to free to air tv.
Anyone on here sold him theirs?
Posted By: Che

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 19/08/2021 17:26

That's a bit of a shame, I'd heard one of the restoration shows was doing a Coupe, and kind of hoped it was any of them except Wheeler Dealers! Think the Car SOS chaps would have done a good job...... Still, great to see it's going to be on one of the programmes.
Posted By: Ali_and_Marvin

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 19/08/2021 18:16

Originally Posted by Che
That's a bit of a shame, I'd heard one of the restoration shows was doing a Coupe, and kind of hoped it was any of them except Wheeler Dealers! Think the Car SOS chaps would have done a good job.

Quite! I'd trust Car Sosage to do a decent job.
Posted By: andyps

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 20/08/2021 18:35

It was seen outside the workshop back in March - https://twitter.com/AutoPap/status/1367162291385479168
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 20/08/2021 19:53

Ooooh, a sprint blue one cool
Posted By: Morrison

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 21/08/2021 16:45

Ah, so that's the one that went for a remap at Celtic tuning. And that people have been alluding to on Facebook.

I'll watch the program with interest, although they had a bad patch, I think wheeler dealers is a decent show, even without Edd.

Any PR is good PR, maybe I shouldn't have sold the silver bullet?!
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 21/08/2021 18:38

I had the same conversation with Mike Brewer about a coupe restoration, and he said - three years ago, just after Ed left and Ant joined - that they'd already done one, expect to see it soon, but no date.

So I'm taking a pinch of salt with this one...

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 23/08/2021 12:32

Just seen the trailer for the new series on Twitter - https://twitter.com/DiscoveryUK/status/1429771233378410496 - looks like they are showing how a Coupe is quicker than a Ferrari 348.
Posted By: PaulL

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 23/08/2021 17:43

I'll look forward to that !

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 23/08/2021 21:35

Brewer looks a fat git, he’s getting bigger every series. laugh
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 23/08/2021 21:44

Hopefully should be good.
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 27/08/2021 16:23

Photos.

Attached picture image.jpeg
Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: Vinno

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 04/09/2021 09:07

I just saw this trailer for the new series on the TV and came straight here lol. Quite looking forward to this I must say!

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 13/09/2021 11:46

This is available now, watched the first part of it this morning over breakfast. Seems the episode is just focused on modifying for more power.
Posted By: DavidFoster

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 13/09/2021 15:59

Find Italia Autos on utube for several episodes of a Coupe restoration.

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 13/09/2021 16:52

Already watched them all smile
Posted By: Golfpro

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 13/09/2021 17:17

Just watched the episode on Discovery catch up.

I think Mike is bullsh***ing somewhat when he says they have created the fastest Coupe in the UK chinny
Posted By: bilbo

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 14/09/2021 21:23

Just watched it, shocking is all I can say. Only mention of rust to look for was the top mounts he said 🤪 It was terrible IMHO.

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 14/09/2021 22:20

Aye I agree, not enough information regarding underbody rust. Up on the ramp and a look underneath would’ve been good. The exhaust manifold looked like one of those cheap ones that eventually fell apart. To cap it all, Brewer screaming like a Lassie when the Coop was put through its paces silly

Watched the episode about the mini as well, Brewer getting in and out of the wee car, not a pretty sight.. crazy
Posted By: williamsdad

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 14/09/2021 22:24

Gotta love the maths on that programme ... its always been the same. £50 to refurb 4 wheels and tint the windows (not in the world i live in). I think my biggest 'Yeah mate' moment had to be right at the end when he 'sells' the car to the guy that originally wanted it for 6 grand ! hahaha how convenient.
Posted By: Rosso

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 14/09/2021 22:46

Bring back Edd China

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 15/09/2021 06:29

Originally Posted by Rosso
Bring back Edd China

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=edd+china%27s+workshop+diaries

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 15/09/2021 09:27

Originally Posted by williamsdad
Gotta love the maths on that programme ... its always been the same. £50 to refurb 4 wheels and tint the windows (not in the world i live in). I think my biggest 'Yeah mate' moment had to be right at the end when he 'sells' the car to the guy that originally wanted it for 6 grand ! hahaha how convenient.

Indeed, but you have to remember this is a TV show, it is what it is. Some parts are staged, all that said I do like to see the finished article smile
Posted By: bilbo

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 16/09/2021 15:30

You would hope people do their own research on these things. Everyone on this forum knows not to touch a SS manifold and those water jets were just comical from a F1 mechanic
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 17/09/2021 19:07

Here is a link to the programmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQhAJ24Yq6k

Judge for yourselves
Posted By: DavidFoster

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 17/09/2021 23:54

For me much better than I feared.

As Morrison said earlier any PR is good PR

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 18/09/2021 05:52

"Some people have had 'em over three hundred horsepower!"

I knew there was a reason I no longer watched that show... (also, take Brewer out of the car and the power to weight ratio goes right up!)
Posted By: skinflint

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 18/09/2021 22:19

I enjoyed it and love Wheeler Dealers but I wonder if they researched this piece about 20 years ago and never got round to finding a Coupe until now?
Back then cambelt changes and turbo mods were all the rage and "Baby Ferrari" was a thing people said. CHODs hadn't been invented.
If you were looking for rust it would be suspension turrets and door bottoms but you wouldn't find any there on the Coupe.
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 20/09/2021 10:55

Whoa whoa whoa,

300 freakin' BHP?
Taking a chip out of the ecu by brain surgery??
Customising a turbo?

No wonder GB leads the world if F1 technologies - 'innit.

The programme was disappointing and doubt it will bring any extra love to the marque.

Regards MM
Posted By: Trappy

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 20/09/2021 11:55

Originally Posted by Master_Mariner

The programme was disappointing and doubt it will bring any extra love to the marque.

Exactly this. Pushing the car as a cheap way to go fast isn't going to do us any favours.

I'm not sure where they placed the microphone, but I've never heard a 20v Turbo sound that ropey. What the hell was that exhaust about too rofl
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 22/09/2021 10:11

Contrary to others, I quite enjoyed it and particularly liked the fact the buyer father and son had a shared passion for the Coupe. smile
This was something I could relate to with my own lads when they were growing up and learning to drive.

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 22/09/2021 14:51

Originally Posted by Brilly1uk
Contrary to others, I quite enjoyed it and particularly liked the fact the buyer father and son had a shared passion for the Coupe. smile

If they were passionate, I'd like to think they'd have popped on here and checked out the years old guides on what to look for and have a fair idea of what modifications are sensible. Aside from the fact that 309bhp and 346lbs/ft on a 20vT is unheard of, if it was possible, you wouldn't run it through a SMIC... This was part of common discussion back in the mid noughties.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 25/09/2021 07:14

Originally Posted by Golfpro

I think Mike is bullsh***ing somewhat when he says they have created the fastest Coupe in the UK chinny

He’s eminently dislikeable, isn’t he? Perhaps should offer him a passenger ride in mine yours….. Another 180bhp on top of his “fastest in the UK” should see him explode…..

Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 25/09/2021 14:24

I think they did the car a massive injustice, a cheap Bangle Fiat you could bolts bits on and go fast, sorry Brewer you're not my favourite person right now.
Posted By: Clintos

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 26/09/2021 04:05

So they generally try and restore most cars to original condition. I've even seen them buy a donor car just to get hold of a parcel shelf (XR2) and yet the coupe episode had nothing to do with originality, it was basically saying to all the boy racers out there........ buy a cheap coupe, upgrade the turbo and bolt a water pistol to the IC to go fast. As for the 5 pot soundtrack, what happened there?

The first one Ive watched without Ed China and sorry to say but my last too. What a load rubbish!
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 27/09/2021 07:25

Originally Posted by Countrycruising
I think they did the car a massive injustice, a cheap Bangle Fiat you could bolts bits on and go fast, sorry Brewer you're not my favourite person right now.

there is some truth in that though...... a lot of owners of the Coupe have chased big power it was all the rage a few year's back, Brewer missed the boat....the demand now is more OE/standard (thankfully) but the market for the model is still basically cheap.

His programme was showing a cheap Italian Fiat could take on and beat a Ferrari in a drag race...so yes pointless viewing for most people.

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 27/09/2021 12:58

Originally Posted by Submariner

a lot of owners of the Coupe have chased big power it was all the rage a few year's back, Brewer missed the boat....the demand now is more OE/standard (thankfully)

Oit, enough of that! I may have missed the boat but I'm still demanding big power! laugh Think more 458 Italia though wink

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 28/09/2021 11:21

Originally Posted by Trappy

a lot of owners of the Coupe have chased big power it was all the rage a few year's back, Brewer missed the boat....the demand now is more OE/standard (thankfully)

Oit, enough of that! I may have missed the boat boat I'm still demanding big power! laugh Think more 458 Italia though wink

Yes quite, you're building a properly mod'ed Coupe,not bolt on a couple of goodies and away you go..........

What is interesting to know is that exact car is presently in pieces on a garages ramp in Worcester, the garage owner rang me before I fell ill asking about corrosion repairs as it's a complete rot box, since then he's sent me a list to quote for a complete rear end subframe assembly and associated parts, sounds like it wasn't in the best shape and any funds were spent in the wrong place...... oh well, it's just a cheap fast Fiat so who really cares.
Posted By: respace

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 28/09/2021 16:32

Can you really get 9hp by shooting cheap waterpistols at a radiator? Give the amount of rain we get mine must be getting near 500hp by now!

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 29/09/2021 10:59

Originally Posted by respace
Can you really get 9hp by shooting cheap waterpistols at a radiator? Give the amount of rain we get mine must be getting near 500hp by now!

laugh

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 29/09/2021 12:59

Hey now CC, it's not just a cheap fast fiat, it's a cheap fast fiat with a crappy water pistol aimed at the intercooler.

Shame to hear it's in pieces and is rotten.
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 30/09/2021 14:24

No Warranty from Mike "WD" Brewer?

Have to say it really is starting to look like a bodge it and scarper production. If the father and son were passionate about a Fiat Coupe before hand...no doubt this has damped their spirit.

I guess Mike did not read the forums pre-purchase sale guide.

Shame to hear its had a short lived live. Hope they have the time and interest to save it.

MM

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 30/09/2021 21:24

Originally Posted by Countrycruising
Originally Posted by Trappy

Oit, enough of that! I may have missed the boat boat I'm still demanding big power! laugh Think more 458 Italia though wink

Yes quite, you're building a properly mod'ed Coupe,not bolt on a couple of goodies and away you go..........

What is interesting to know is that exact car is presently in pieces on a garages ramp in Worcester, the garage owner rang me before I fell ill asking about corrosion repairs as it's a complete rot box, since then he's sent me a list to quote for a complete rear end subframe assembly and associated parts, sounds like it wasn't in the best shape and any funds were spent in the wrong place...... oh well, it's just a cheap fast Fiat so who really cares.

That is really disappointing to hear, especially for the owners.

I thought it a really disappointing episode because they didn't cover much about the car at all, and as far as I'm aware the figures achieved were unrealistic for just a turbo mod and off car remap (although based on the location of the water pistol tank it must have had a different air filter fitted).

Mike Brewer doesn't come across well to me, I talked to him at the last NEC Classic Car Show to ask him about a picture he had used in an old episode (it had personal significance to me) and he was very off-hand, saying he couldn't help. He had been dissing Ed China to someone he spoke to before me which I overheard. By contrast Ant Anstead was really pleasant when I chatted with him in a similar setting, remembering a tweet I'd mentioned in him where the episode he had done about a Lancia Fulvia had really helped me with something. For some reason I had thought Ant might have been a bit full of himself but he couldn't have been more personable and interested - Brewer seemed to only be interested in himself.
Posted By: alex1982

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 30/09/2021 22:16

There's some pics of the car (I assume from the garage who have it now) in the comments of this twitter feed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikebrewer/status/1439895371573039109

Also i read that it had a very recent MOT fail for corrosion in the usual coupe places but then a clean pass. Looks like it hadn't been repaired, bit naughty if true....
Posted By: Vinno

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 01/10/2021 12:40

Oh dear that Twitter thread!

I thought the episode was a bit crap tbh. I always saw Wheeler Dealers as a bit of fun and nothing more so I didn't expect much in the way of mechanical accuracy, but yeah... disappointing.

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 01/10/2021 13:09

Just watched part of the episode on youtube again, the state of the bonnet seams is atrocious. The whole things left a bad taste. A taste much more foul than the top gear episode.

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 01/10/2021 13:18

Originally Posted by alex1982
There's some pics of the car (I assume from the garage who have it now) in the comments of this twitter feed.

Also i read that it had a very recent MOT fail for corrosion in the usual coupe places but then a clean pass. Looks like it hadn't been repaired, bit naughty if true....

I'd missed that thread, interesting comments and pictures from M bucko. Looking at the MOT history it did at least have long enough between the fail and pass for the work to have been done, but they didn't spot the issues hiding behind the wheel arch liner and boot carpet. Poor quality for such a prominent show and must be gutting for the owners.

What I didn't understand is why someone who was looking at a car under £3k then paid £6k for it when it apparently only had a £1k turbo/mapping job done. What else were they told?

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 01/10/2021 13:21

Originally Posted by alex1982

Yes well found, not too good at that back end......

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 01/10/2021 20:08

Just thought I'd have a look at how fast a 20VT is at Harewood Hillclimb in relation to a 348 but it seems no one has ever entered one in the years I've been going. However, looking at the results from 2019 when Ferrari Owners Club were there the only prancing horses which were faster than me were a 488, a 430 and an unknown one. So it doesn't take over 300hp for a Coupe to marginally beat a 348. Results from that event here - https://barc.blob.core.windows.net/harewood/final-web-results---1-gnnfi.pdf

Just to add, I didn't use the Fiat for that event this year as it was awaiting an MOT and the weather would have made times invalid anyway - it bucketed down all day!
Posted By: B3nson

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 02/10/2021 17:54

In regards to what the new owners paid I wouldn’t believe any part of that side of it, reckon it’s all for TV

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 02/10/2021 18:06

Originally Posted by B3nson
In regards to what the new owners paid I wouldn’t believe any part of that side of it, reckon it’s all for TV

Erm, it’s a TV show, that’s exactly what it is, as said earlier things are staged in parts.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 03/10/2021 11:08

Originally Posted by jimboy

Erm, it’s a TV show, that’s exactly what it is, as said earlier things are staged in parts.

I met a chap at Brooklands a few years back who had bought an American car that Wheeler Dealers had done.

The deal was agreed some days before off camera and then there followed a filming session where the haggling and hand-over stuff were filmed for the programme's ending.

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 04/10/2021 08:48

£6000.00, told by the owner to the mechanic at the garage where's it's resting in pieces.....

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 04/10/2021 09:50

That's absolutely gutting. 6k. For something worth £600. I'd be hunting brewer down and very angrily wagging my finger in his general direction.

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 04/10/2021 13:29

After talking to a pal of mine (who is a fan of Brewer) about this Coupé and re-reading M Bucko's comments, I just looked up the MOT history of R422 AYA on www.check-mot.service.gov.uk

Seems legit silly

Attached picture R422 AYA.png
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 07/10/2021 13:09

Wow that Twitter thread is a horror show. Just watched the clip in the Twitter thread Brewer says a little way in 'crucially we want to spend as little money on it as possible' well they did that.....this was no Ed China resto, it was just a garnish for an immature TG style storyline. £6K,,,,,the MOT history would of kept me away from that example unless there was documented work on the areas of rust.....which there wasn't. So as above.....a fast rusty old Fiat then.

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 07/10/2021 14:46

Wow that Twitter thread is a horror show. Just watched the clip in the Twitter thread Brewer says a little way in 'crucially we want to spend as little money on it as possible' well they did that.....this was no Ed China resto, it was just a garnish for an immature TG style storyline. £6K,,,,,the MOT history would of kept me away from that example unless there was documented work on the areas of rust.....which there wasn't. So as above.....a fast rusty old Fiat then.

A fast cheap rusty of Fiat! rolleyes

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 07/10/2021 15:19

Yer man engineer elvis made it quite clear from the start, he was not a fan of the Coupe. shout
Posted By: respace

Re: Mike Brewers Wheeler Dealers - 10/10/2021 15:38

Although I don't know the origins of the term 'wheeler dealer' it always had dodgy overtones, you wouldn't buy anything from one. I'd have thought that Mr Brewer would be eager for this not to get too much publicity to protect his revenue stream from future continued contracts, the media don't like to be associated with a 'bad en'.
A solicitor's letter should start the ball rolling.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK