Fiat Coupe Club UK

4/4/22 Autocar Greatest Road tests ever

Posted By: Submariner

4/4/22 Autocar Greatest Road tests ever - 05/04/2022 07:59

The Coupe 20vt https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/from-the-archive/greatest-road-tests-ever-fiat-coupe-20v-turbo
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: 4/4/22 Autocar Greatest Road tests ever - 07/04/2022 11:16

Great - more grist to the meal. Getting a proper mini revival of mentions at the moment!
Posted By: barnacle

Re: 4/4/22 Autocar Greatest Road tests ever - 08/04/2022 05:56

Originally Posted by autocar
while the ECU limited boost in the bottom two of five gears for the same reason.

And yet still that old myth. The ECU doesn't care which gear you're in, and the only way it can ever know is to see how fast you're accelerating.

Neil
Posted By: Submariner

Re: 4/4/22 Autocar Greatest Road tests ever - 08/04/2022 06:56

I always believed that the car reduced/limited boost via the EBV etc in first two gears and that the Gtec chip together with the disconnection of the EBV removed this 'restriction'?
Posted By: Trappy

Re: 4/4/22 Autocar Greatest Road tests ever - 08/04/2022 06:59

Originally Posted by Submariner
I always believed that the car reduced/limited boost via the EBV etc in first two gears and that the Gtec chip together with the disconnection of the EBV removed this 'restriction'?

It's a limit on the rate at which the boost can rise IIRC. If you upped the power but didn't remove this function, it would start to work in higher gears too. The ECU has no idea what gear you're in.
Posted By: clanger

Re: 4/4/22 Autocar Greatest Road tests ever - 08/04/2022 09:17

Originally Posted by Trappy
Originally Posted by Submariner

It's a limit on the rate at which the boost can rise IIRC.

This

The boost rate rise is mapped to engine load. There is a specific map for it and its values can be changed regardless of boost increases which are different maps again. Obviously removing the EBV will bypass this function entirely but thats another matter.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK