Fiat Coupe Club UK

Bleeding coolant system problem

Posted By: Anonymous

Bleeding coolant system problem - 05/07/2014 10:46

Hi,

I have tried to undo the drain plug on the coolant distributor rail and I can't shift it. How much force dare I put on it as I do not want to have to replace the rail if I mess it up?

Thanks
Dave
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Bleeding coolant system problem - 05/07/2014 11:12

If it won't move leave it as it's a very fine thread and shearing this or damaging the plug leads to a whole heap of trouble.

Bleed the system via the rad and the matrix pipes, personally these are the only two points I bleed for a successful refill.
Posted By: szkom

Re: Bleeding coolant system problem - 05/07/2014 11:14

Above the manifold? Leave it be. You can bleed the system without it. As you say if you strip it you'll need to replace it.

I've found having the nose of the car in the air and the radiator bleed open is usually sufficient to avoid the need to bleed excess air.

You'll obviously need to run the car up to temperature and top up the coolant after.

Re: Bleeding coolant system problem - 05/07/2014 11:48

Thanks we have so far just bled through the radiator and all seems OK especially after 30 mins I still cant find the knurled bleed valve at the back.

Update: all is now coming clear. I have just replace the water pipes with a silcon set and they didn't have a bleed valve in any of the pipes and therefore the knurled bleed point was removed.

Re: Bleeding coolant system problem - 05/07/2014 12:26

Cool smile

Re: Bleeding coolant system problem - 05/07/2014 15:27

Thanks for everyone's help.
Posted By: szkom

Re: Bleeding coolant system problem - 05/07/2014 16:27

Keep an eye on levels for a couple of weeks. It's also a really good idea to go round again and check the clips are all tight after you've had a few runs. If you've reused the clips especially.

Re: Bleeding coolant system problem - 05/07/2014 16:52

The bleed plug is a lot softer than the water rail, I've had to hammer in a hex socket with a *big* hammer (or actually ended up having to hammer in a second even bigger hex socket in the end) and the plug came out no problem with no damage to the threads in the water rail.

YMMV of course.

Re: Bleeding coolant system problem - 05/07/2014 18:17

Originally Posted By: GrahamL
The bleed plug is a lot softer than the water rail

Are you sure about that? tongue

Surely the bleed plug being made of mild steel is a harder material in comparison the a water rail which is a cast alloy? chinny

Re: Bleeding coolant system problem - 06/07/2014 11:19

You're probably right. However in my (limited) experience the bleed plug threads and socket deform more easily than the threads in the water rail.
Posted By: David

Re: Bleeding coolant system problem - 14/02/2020 01:18

Hi. What size the bleed plug, 1/8 bsp ?
Thanks
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK