Fiat Coupe Club UK

Oil Pressure Light When Ignition Off

Posted By: Anonymous

Oil Pressure Light When Ignition Off - 23/03/2018 10:23

Hi Guys,
Wondered if anyone might be able to help me with this one?
I am just in the process of getting our Coupe back on the road, after being on a SORN for the last five years.
I have just completed preparatory work on all the advisories from the last MOT, so that will hopefully get through the next one with no issues. But while completing this work, I have noticed that the oil pressure light glows when I reconnect the battery. It goes out when I run the engine and the pressure goes up to 3 bar, only dropping very slightly (if any) when I rev it. Then when I turn the ignition off, the warning light comes back on after a short time.
I have checked the wiring and everything seems fine, so at a loss to what might be wrong. Any ideas and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Oil Pressure Light When Ignition Off - 23/03/2018 10:56

From past experience when that light is on it's shows the alternator is faulty/failing, it's back feeding which brings on the low oil light.

Re: Oil Pressure Light When Ignition Off - 23/03/2018 11:32

Hi thanks for your comment.
Do you think that it might 'clear' when I've had the chance to take the car out for a decent run? I'm thinking that having a car covered up in storage isn't ideal and problems can materialise.

Re: Oil Pressure Light When Ignition Off - 23/03/2018 14:07

I've never known them get better, rebuild or replace will probably be the outcome of this as it's common with coupés that have been stored for years and not started on a regular basis.

Re: Oil Pressure Light When Ignition Off - 23/03/2018 14:09

Thanks for your help. I'll probably replace it when I've got the car MOT'd.

Re: Oil Pressure Light When Ignition Off - 23/03/2018 14:35

Keep an eye on your battery voltage, alternator might not be charging fully.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK