Fiat Coupe Club UK

Welding question.

Posted By: sharman

Welding question. - 28/06/2018 15:08

I have a question for those who've done a lot of welding on coupes.
Under the drivers seat is a box section that the front of the seat runners bolt to. Inside that box section is a very large wiring loom. Does that go only to the module under the seat or to something else As well, and how easy is it to remove? I have a large rust hole in the floor right under that loom which I'll be repairing this weekend, so I'm going to either have to move it or go to great lengths to protect it.
Any advice welcome.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Welding question. - 28/06/2018 15:10

No it's continues to the rear and feeds the fuel tank pump, level switch, O/S rear lights and number plate lights.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Welding question. - 28/06/2018 15:12

Pretty sure it continues back to rear speaker on that side and stuff in the boot too.

Re: Welding question. - 28/06/2018 15:15

That's what I feared. Joe how have you gone about doing welding in that area. It seems like a common rust spot.

Re: Welding question. - 28/06/2018 15:38

Yes a common area to corrode, seats out, rear cards so you can lift the carpet and sound proofing, drill out the spot welds that hold the seat rail tower, cut the rot out, fabricate, weld/repair, dress, treat and rebuild, if only that was as easy as writing it laugh

Re: Welding question. - 28/06/2018 16:07

Ah ha. I hadn't thought about drilling the spot welds. Thanks Joe. At least I can prepare myself a bit better now. Good thing I've got next week off work .

Re: Welding question. - 28/06/2018 16:50

Originally Posted By sharman
Ah ha. I hadn't thought about drilling the spot welds. Thanks Joe. At least I can prepare myself a bit better now. Good thing I've got next week off work .

Hope it goes smoothly, and don't forget the fuel lines are near that area wink
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Welding question. - 28/06/2018 17:46

Drilling out the spot welds, brilliant idea.
This year I was only replacing a small section of the passenger floor under that tunnel, and the loom passes through rather than along it so I could simply disconnect and pull it out of the way.
Although welding upside down was absolutely awful and something I had not really done since being an aircraft apprentice many many moons ago, good luck Alex can’t wait to see the results
Posted By: H_R

Re: Welding question. - 29/06/2018 05:28

special drills for spot welds are available or you can sharpen a normal drill to a lower angle if you have the equipment to do so
have fun

Re: Welding question. - 29/06/2018 08:11

That's some great advice, thanks all.
She's in for MOT in the morning, I know it'll fail on the corrosion in that area but I'd rather get a full list and tackle it all in one go (although the amount of new parts it's had I can't see it failing on much else).
I'll keep a good photo diary and post them up on the FB page as I go.
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Welding question. - 29/06/2018 08:13

Good luck and list is better than guessing isn't it
Posted By: andyps

Re: Welding question. - 29/06/2018 10:14

Mine failed on some holes in the floor in March this year, once I started fixing them I found more that the tester hadn't spotted. I did weld them too of course!

Re: Welding question. - 02/07/2018 16:22

Wow. Joe you weren't kidding, ( not that I thought you were) an entire days work to get the interior, carpet, and that seat tower out.
Thanks H_R for suggesting the spot weld drill bit. I would have never managed without it.
Now to start cutting this rot out.

Re: Welding question. - 02/07/2018 17:39

Originally Posted By sharman
Wow. Joe you weren't kidding, ( not that I thought you were) an entire days work to get the interior, carpet, and that seat tower out.
Thanks H_R for suggesting the spot weld drill bit. I would have never managed without it.
Now to start cutting this rot out.

.... and in this heat as well so top marks for effort thumb

Re: Welding question. - 02/07/2018 18:06

Another quick question while you're online Joe. The floor pans are covered in a thick anti vibration type material that I've had to chisel off. Do you replace that with something similar ( if so what?) Or do you not bother.
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: Welding question. - 03/07/2018 06:02

You could use something like peacemat to replace the old bitumen sound deadening once you have finished all the corrosion rectification. Comes in either rolls or sheets and quite easy to fit.

Re: Welding question. - 03/07/2018 07:08

Peacemat as above, or Bitflex which is my preferred product which can be purchased from below.

Carinsulation.co.uk

....... their fleabay page.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK