Fiat Coupe Club UK

Impossible to find the RPM sensor

Posted By: Anonymous

Impossible to find the RPM sensor - 10/07/2018 11:44

Hello from Paris,

I'm French and the owner of a yellow Fiat Coupé 20V (1997), and since a few months, the "injector" signal light was on. I was stalling every time, and 5 weeks ago, the car didn't start when I used it a few moments before. When the car was "hot", impossible to start again, I had to wait 3 or 4 hours.

As no garage, in France, was able to do the diag, I ordered all the wires, I bought a software, and I did the diag by myself. Two elements were damaged:
- Air flow meter.
- RPM sensor.

I changed the "air flow meter" and things were better: no more "injector" warning signal. But when I stopped the car, the signal was on and the car was impossible to start. The car was possible to start only if I moved the car on 1 or 2 meters before trying to start.

So, I ordered the RPM sensor (= crankshaft Sensor?). I called maybe 50 garages, also Fiat, and nobody wanted to help me.

On Internet, I found a mechanic who was ok to come to my home. He removed the passanger side wheel and searched for the sensor behind the crankshaft pulley, but 2 hours later, he didn't find anything! Amazing. Here is below the photo of what he saw.

My children cry since 1 week because we can't go on Holidays and in France nobody else is able to help me.

Kind people said me that the sensor was "on the steering wheel, gearbox side. It is fixed on the block, behind, under the starter, and is accessible from under the car."

Does anybody, in the World, know where this sensor is? frown

I'm desesperate, and if you can help me, it would be so cool...

Warm regards,

Nic

click to enlarge

Re: Impossible to find the RPM sensor - 10/07/2018 12:12

It's not anywhere near that picture, that's the wrong side of the engine.

It's just like said above, on the back of the engine under the starter, where the gearbox attaches to the engine. You can release the connector from above and reach the sensor itself from below, 5mm allen type hex to remove it.

Posted By: dante giacosa

Re: Impossible to find the RPM sensor - 10/07/2018 12:15

smile

Re: Impossible to find the RPM sensor - 10/07/2018 12:19

Here:

click to enlarge

Re: Impossible to find the RPM sensor - 10/07/2018 16:48

Wow, than you so much for the info and photo! I print it. A mechanics come to me tomorrow, I'll give you the details... smile

Re: Impossible to find the RPM sensor - 11/07/2018 18:32

Graham, what you did for me is just fantastic. Thank you so much! With your photo, the mechanics found the sensor and changed it. The problem is solved! laugh
Tomorrow morning, with my wife and children, we'll go on vacation. Without you, our Summer was dead...
Thanks again!
Posted By: dante giacosa

Re: Impossible to find the RPM sensor - 12/07/2018 12:29

nice one, Graham!
Posted By: mr_nobut

Re: Impossible to find the RPM sensor - 13/07/2018 07:29

Another great result using the power of this forum.....I can't tell you how much hassle and time this place has saved me over the years with such knowledgeable folk on hand to help.... Nice one and have a lovely summer trip!!!! cool
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK