Fiat Coupe Club UK

Hazard Lights Problem

Posted By: iainb

Hazard Lights Problem - 28/01/2019 16:34

I took my Coupe for a spin to run some errands today and shortly after leaving home I heard a ticking from behind the dashboard. I stopped at the fuel station and found that the hazard lights were flashing, despite the button being off and no light on dash. After the 5 mins it took to fill up, the battery was dead. OK so then of course when I pulled the bonnet the cable snapped! Thanks to this post
http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1399572
I had the bonnet open with a screwdriver in about 30 secs. Went home to get another car and jump started the Coupe no problem and got it back home. So the question is - what is going on with the hazards?
I will have a look at the solder joints on the relay tomorrow, but if not that any other ideas?

(found this already: https://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=398150&page=1)
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Hazard Lights Problem - 28/01/2019 16:49

It's not the hazards it's the alarm module which is under the dash drivers side, you'll need a key fob to cancel it.

Re: Hazard Lights Problem - 28/01/2019 17:47

Bloody hell so it was. I do have two remote locking fobs. They work but I but don't use them as they look a bit fragile. So I just use the key. OK so I just unlocked the car with the key and the hazards started again. I pressed the unlock button on the fob and this stopped the hazards flashing.

So what's going on here then? It drained the battery in the time it took the fill up but started OK with a jump.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Hazard Lights Problem - 28/01/2019 19:05

Sounds like the first thing to do is to change the battery, if it's dying that quickly - many alarms get upset with poor battery levels.

Re: Hazard Lights Problem - 28/01/2019 20:09

Won't do any harm to change the battery as it's of unknown origin. Seems odd the car started fine in the drive and the problem commenced, blinkers flashing, whilst actually driving, with the battery then flat in the time it took to fill the car. Well maybe I'm overthinking it and the battery is just shagged. Starts fine now though since I reset the alarm with the fob! I shall keep a fob in the glove compartment from now on!
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Hazard Lights Problem - 28/01/2019 20:46

I'd check the alternator is charging as it sounds like you were running on battery power.

Re: Hazard Lights Problem - 09/02/2019 08:54

Put a new battery on and problem resolved. Alternator charging OK. Judging by how powerful the start is now, battery was duff from day one. Remote fob works intermittently, will try replacing battery in that.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Hazard Lights Problem - 09/02/2019 16:09

bow

Re: Hazard Lights Problem - 09/02/2019 16:35

Oh and found a Shimano stainless steel MTB brake cable is **exactly** the right length to replace the Coupe bonnet cable. The round nipple fits perfectly in the lever. Well I'm off to buy a lottery ticket.
Posted By: mazzitelli

Re: Hazard Lights Problem - 09/02/2019 17:03

This is indeed an interesting find! I need one too so will get one of these to try it out...

Is this an easy job do you know?

Re: Hazard Lights Problem - 10/02/2019 14:48

Yes it’s very straight-forward if the cable outer is in good condition and you’re just replacing the inner.
Remove the front grille for best access.
Undo and remove the nipple from the end of the old cable.
Cut off any damaged/frayed cable so it doesn’t jam when you pull it out.
From inside the car, pull the old cable out through the release lever.
Then feed the new cable through the large hole in the lever and into the outer, push it through until it comes out at the bonnet catch. Then push the cable into the slot in the lever so the nipple is retained.
Now from the latch end, thread the cable through the hole in the retaining plate and pull the cable tight. Thread the nipple back on the end, loop the cable back through the nipple, remove any slack in the cable and do up the nipple.
Posted By: OnlyItalian

Re: Hazard Lights Problem - 11/02/2019 16:44

Both my coupe heater fans do funny things when the battery is weak too. Fan will blow briefly a couple of times randomly. Very characterful!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK