Fiat Coupe Club UK

plus instument cluster

Posted By: ucoupia

plus instument cluster - 07/02/2019 16:49

Hi, to anyone who has fitted the silver dialed 6 speed or plus instrument cluster to a 5 speed 20vt,
does the speedo read true or are there any further mods needed.
Thanks for your input.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: plus instument cluster - 07/02/2019 23:35

I've got a set fitted to my early (Oct 1996) 20vt and they are just plug and play. But I lost the oil temp guage and got a useless voltmeter that always reads low by at least 1 volt. And the tacho didn't work so I had to replace the gubbins behind the needle and white face with a working part from another tacho. But speedo reads just the same as the old ome (ie: pretty inaccurate, but with the oversized tyres I have fitted, it now is pretty much spot on accurate).

Re: plus instument cluster - 08/02/2019 09:11

Thanks Dave, i realise the voltmeter will not be accurate and i will be fitting the plus 215/45 wheel/tyre set up, are they the sizes you are using?

Re: plus instument cluster - 08/02/2019 18:16

I don't know why the voltmeter is inaccurate, as far as I can tell the wiring of the connectors and the instrument panel means that it should work correctly in an older version.

I have 225/45x17 ooo
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: plus instument cluster - 08/02/2019 19:29

Originally Posted By DaveG
white face

Careful, someone might get offended by the implication that older coupes have "black face". wink
Posted By: avtokrator

Re: plus instument cluster - 08/02/2019 22:17

I’ve done the swap in the past, both directions, and being two identical clusters (Volt/Batt & Temp/Fuel) everything works fine and with correct readings. The tyre size is factor apart.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: plus instument cluster - 09/02/2019 07:46

As an owner of an older black face coupe, I merely note that traditionally, Dr Whiteface is the title reserved for the boss of...

Clowns laugh

Re: plus instument cluster - 11/02/2019 17:39

When removing the tacho needle, is it just a case of pulling off and pushing it back on. Does anything else move underneath it. Mistake with my tyre size, should be 225/16 45
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: plus instument cluster - 11/02/2019 18:45

Originally Posted by ucoupia
When removing the tacho needle, is it just a case of pulling off and pushing it back on. Does anything else move underneath it. Mistake with my tyre size, should be 225/16 45

From memory you don't need to swap tacho unit as it will read correctly, plug and play except for the volt if it's temp.

Re: plus instument cluster - 11/02/2019 20:07

Yes, you only need to remove the needle and swap the "gubbins" if the one behing the "Plus face" (see what I did there? wink ) doesn't work, and for some reason that seems more common that you might hope...
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: plus instument cluster - 11/02/2019 20:32

Originally Posted by DaveG
Yes, you only need to remove the needle and swap the "gubbins" if the one behing the "Plus face" (see what I did there? wink ) doesn't work, and for some reason that seems more common that you might hope...

Which is fine if you're swapping it for another 180mph tachometer as a 160mph will read faster than its true speed.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: plus instument cluster - 12/02/2019 19:13

It's too long since I looked inside a speedo unit, but I'd expect there to be a calibration adjustment in there somewhere - maybe a preset pot, but I suppose it could be a resistor that's different between the two units.

Re: plus instument cluster - 12/02/2019 23:16

I added Plus dials to my early 20vt (with oil temp gauge) and no adjustment was needed. In fact with the oversize tyres I have fitted, the speedo is pretty much dead accurate instead of reading faster than true speed (like all other speedos normally do).
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK