Fiat Coupe Club UK

Valeo clutch models

Posted By: avtokrator

Valeo clutch models - 17/02/2019 20:12

Hi all,
So I’m thinking lately in changing the clutch and searching the available options found two models of Valeo listed: 821251 and 821360, both with same tech data, one for cars before till 07/1997 and the second for cars after 10/1998. Knowing this is irrelevant as they use the same clutch (20vt) the only difference I observe in the photos is between the disk springs, being bigger and blue-painted on the second reference number. Am’I right supposing the second one is the later, updated version? Comments are welcome...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Valeo clutch models - 17/02/2019 22:26

The dates on the Valeo site are wrong, it should be :

Chassis number up to 52505 / cars up to 10/97 (manufacture date) should use the earlier clutch, Valeo part # 821251, Fiat part # 71711930
Chassis number from 52506 / cars from 10/97 (manufacture date) should use the later clutch, Valeo part # 821360, Fiat part # 71713867

The gearbox and flywheel were also changed in 10/97.

Some say the later clutch type (Valeo part # 821360) fits early and later 20vt's, but I've seen a couple of people say that the later clutch didn't fit their early coupe.

Also note that there's a known issue with some new valeo clutches where the release bearing pulls out of the cover plate, see my old thread here :

https://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1607465/replacing-clutch-on-20vt

And you should probably do the driveshaft seals at the same time too :

https://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum...lacing-gearbox-drive-shaft-seals-on-20vt

Re: Valeo clutch models - 17/02/2019 22:53

Thank you very much Graham for the valuable info and the good reads, wasn’t aware of that issue with the earlier 20vt’s, I’ve done swaps only between my ex-late’98 and current-late’99 coupes. The price difference is negligible also, so I’ll be after the second type definitely. The seals are in my checklist already and have them prepared for at least two years.

Bought the second coop with unknown type of chip installed and had intermittent knocking issue @1.2bar / full throttle, but that’s another story to chat.
Posted By: evlone

Re: Valeo clutch models - 19/02/2019 10:03

Have been through this the early clutch Will fit early and late model 20vt . But the late model clutch will not fit the early car as the flywheel doesn't clear the clutch plate as the sprang centre is different . You can machine the flywheel for more clearance

Re: Valeo clutch models - 19/02/2019 14:50

...so both serve me then, good to know. And speaking in terms of reliability and power handling both should behave equally, right? Both are listed with same clamping force and diameter, the friction material looks pretty the same in the photos , too...
Posted By: jonnyboy54321

Re: Valeo clutch models - 20/02/2019 08:25

Originally Posted by evlone
Have been through this the early clutch Will fit early and late model 20vt . But the late model clutch will not fit the early car as the flywheel doesn't clear the clutch plate as the sprang centre is different . You can machine the flywheel for more clearance

Can I get more info on this? I just fitted a kevlar clutch but my flywheel was modified, the clutch does not disengage fully, and rattles, am about to strip gearbox back out today. Wondering if there is a mismatch as well as the flywheel issue (I have a spare flywheel). Have a post and video up on fb pages.
Posted By: szkom

Re: Valeo clutch models - 20/02/2019 12:17

Sounds like you haven't fitted the release bearing properly.

Fit the bearing to the release arm. Refit gearbox and tap the release arm to engage the bearing into the cover plate. Remember that this is a pull type clutch

Re: Valeo clutch models - 26/02/2019 14:00

Originally Posted by szkom
Sounds like you haven't fitted the release bearing properly.

Fit the bearing to the release arm. Refit gearbox and tap the release arm to engage the bearing into the cover plate. Remember that this is a pull type clutch

Exactly what we did - the bearing engaged properly

Re: Valeo clutch models - 27/02/2019 21:12

Right. So, with mine - the fault was that matey who incorrectly lightened the flywheel took loads off the face. This in turn meant the recess in the flywheel wasn't deep enough and the friction plate springs were slightly catching on the flywheel bolts, therefore not disengaging in full. New flywheel with someone who actually knows what they're doing and back in she will go......no damage at all to the clutch thankfully. Interesting about the valeo scenario though

Re: Valeo clutch models - 05/03/2019 19:41

Glad to say mine is now fitted and, although not yet test driven, seems to work. Yay!!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK