Fiat Coupe Club UK

Front hub "sticky"

Posted By: Edinburgh

Front hub "sticky" - 28/02/2019 17:01

Ther's been a slight grinding noise recently from the front o/s area, commensurate with wheel speed and not engine speed, almost as if a stone had got trapped somewhere inside (but couldn't think where unless inside the rim!).

I took the wheel off and inspected for anything obvious which might have been catching but no joy.....what I did notice though - which I don't recall having happened before - was that the hub (even with the wheel replaced) was quite stiff to rotate.

Is this normal?

And yes, it was out of gear.
Posted By: Geo_geo

Re: Front hub "sticky" - 28/02/2019 18:24

Probably a worn out ball bearing (?).
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Front hub "sticky" - 28/02/2019 18:28

Yes, normal for wheel to be hard to turn as you're turning against the viscodrive fluid.

The noise might be a small stone stuck between the back of the brake disc and the ball joint shield, if you still have those fitted.

Otherwise probably wheel bearing, or maybe tyre pressure is wrong at that wheel?

Re: Front hub "sticky" - 28/02/2019 18:43

Had the front bearings done in the last 2 years so I guess unlikely - anyway the sound is different, more like the ball bearing in a roulette wheel laugh

Viscodrive idea sounds interesting - in fact there is a little side-to-side free play of about 1" before it feels like you're turning it through thick mud....

Yes a small stone in that location sounds like a possible culprit - if so it's not vital, just annoying as it sounds like something's about to fall to bits laugh

Re: Front hub "sticky" - 01/03/2019 15:11

Situation compounded in that there is no backing-disc/shield fitted so no stone trapped....

Gave it all a jetwash but obviously dislodged nowt as the rubbing sound is still there frown
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Front hub "sticky" - 01/03/2019 15:47

What condition is the inside face of the disc?

A heavy line of corrosion close to bell sometimes grabs the pad giving a rubbing rotational noise.

Re: Front hub "sticky" - 01/03/2019 20:15

Originally Posted by Countrycruising
What condition is the inside face of the disc?

A heavy line of corrosion close to bell sometimes grabs the pad giving a rubbing rotational noise.

click to enlarge

If a rough inner disc surface is the problem, what's the best way to set about smoothing it?
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Front hub "sticky" - 02/03/2019 08:12

Is that inner disc coming away from the outer one? Looks from that pic the join sections have gaps where the ventilation holes are.

Re: Front hub "sticky" - 02/03/2019 08:55

Originally Posted by magooagain
Is that inner disc coming away from the outer one? Looks from that pic the join sections have gaps where the ventilation holes are.

I see what you mean Joe...I think it's the angle I took the pic from and the flash has highlighted a shadow-line in exactly the spot you refer to
Posted By: szkom

Re: Front hub "sticky" - 02/03/2019 09:07

I'd check out the scoring in the bottom right of the pic. Might just be worth poping the pads to check for embedded grit. A clean and grease on the Brembos is never a bad thing in any case.

If the disc is any more damaged than it looks in the photo I'd just replace it as costs are low enough these days
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Front hub "sticky" - 04/03/2019 12:02

Yikes - the joys of Scottish weather and gritting salt Edinburgh?

Re: Front hub "sticky" - 04/03/2019 12:15

Originally Posted by Master_Mariner
Yikes - the joys of Scottish weather and gritting salt Edinburgh?

Och aye, MM

frown
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Front hub "sticky" - 04/03/2019 12:59

Looking at that pic the discs are due for change Simon, add it to the list for April.

Re: Front hub "sticky" - 04/03/2019 13:09

Originally Posted by Countrycruising
Looking at that pic the discs are due for change Simon, add it to the list for April.

...begins second side of your PM.... laugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK