Fiat Coupe Club UK

Complete airbag removal.

Posted By: magooagain

Complete airbag removal. - 02/03/2019 16:10

I'm in the middle of removing the airbag system in my track car.
So far I have removed both airbags and the sensor on the centre tunnel. I want to remove the yellow loom.
I have most of in dangling in the passenger footwell now apart from the steering wheel airbag cable.

Is it connected to anything else? I'm wondering where is its power sorce? And are there any fuses/relays etc to remove also?

Would it be ok to cut the plug off the steering yellow cable and pull it through to the passenger foot well ? Or am I missing something?
Edit to add where is the airbag ecu please?
Help much appreciated .

Re: Complete airbag removal. - 03/03/2019 11:57

Anyone?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Complete airbag removal. - 03/03/2019 13:10

Airbag ECU is the yellow box on the floor behind centre console, under carpet flap. You should see the yellow sleeved cables going under there. Think there's a fuse for air bag system in the main fuse box.

Re: Complete airbag removal. - 03/03/2019 15:09

Thankyou Graham. I've removed that.
It's the yellow loom I want to remove now.
I have the earth,diagnostic port and the passenger airbag plug hanging down on the passenger side.
And the steering wheel airbag plug and cable hanging down driver's side.
I believe they are all connected in the loom.

What I don't know. Is there another hidden cable coming off that loom behind the dash? And is it connected to the power source.

If not,how did the airbags recieve thier power?

Could I just pull the steering airbag cable through to the other side? I'm thinking there's something else joined up behind the dash.

Also I see no marked fuse for the system.
Posted By: Yann

Re: Complete airbag removal. - 03/03/2019 19:03

When I bought a second hand ECU I received the yellow cable with it. There is indeed another plug (also visible in the diagrams in the manual), connected to wires going to the counter. I checked and wasn’t able to see it in my car, it seems to be in the center, either behind the vents or the dash strip.

Re: Complete airbag removal. - 03/03/2019 19:23

Ok Yann merci.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Complete airbag removal. - 03/03/2019 20:24

The airbag ECU is powered via "Services" fuse #15 in the fusebox. (Note, other things are probably powered via this fuse as well so you probably can't just pull it out after removing the airbag system). The power cable has a break with a 2 pin connector that also goes to the airbag warning light on the dash from the ECU side. There's another break with 2 pin connector between the ECU and the steering wheel airbag. The passenger airbag plugs directly into the ECU with no breaks on the way.

Re: Complete airbag removal. - 03/03/2019 20:32

Ah that's great Graham. Looks like I'm taking the centre consul out also. In its present disconnected state it's showing no warning light on the dash. I suppose it's best to remove the dash bulb also? Thanks again.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK