Fiat Coupe Club UK

Plus speedometer

Posted By: mrc

Plus speedometer - 13/03/2019 09:52

You might have seen in the wanted section that I'm on the hunt for a replacement Plus (silver) speedometer.

Looks like these are becoming very rare so I now need to consider the repair option. Has anyone on here done this, and if yes, where do you take/send it?

Thanks for your help, MRC
Posted By: 386ka

Re: Plus speedometer - 13/03/2019 17:07

What are the differences for the speedos between the models? I have a 16vt, and mine is sticking at around 80km/h, or 50mph. But, from time to time, it gives the correct speed.

BTW, I found similar issues on a Barchetta forum, and they attribute the cause of the malfunction to be bad soldier joints.
Posted By: alex1982

Re: Plus speedometer - 13/03/2019 20:39

I had the speedo on my plus play up a couple of months ago.
I removed and stripped the speedo out from the instruments to find 4(I think) large soldered joints on the back of the speedo part itself.
I re-soldered these as the joints (2 especially from memory) looked very poor.
I haven't had any problems with it since..... My issue was the speedo randomly deciding I was doing 60 or 80 everywhere even when it was obvious I wasn't laugh
Hope this helps
Alex

Re: Plus speedometer - 13/03/2019 21:37

Same symptoms for my speedo, looks like i'll be getting the soldering iron out! Thanks for the advise, I'll keep you posted how it goes!
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Plus speedometer - 14/03/2019 08:24

Originally Posted by mrc
Same symptoms for my speedo, looks like i'll be getting the soldering iron out! Thanks for the advise, I'll keep you posted how it goes!

Me too then as sounds positive
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Plus speedometer - 14/03/2019 08:55

Curiously - my 16NA speedo also sticks occasionally at 60mph. This is usually cured by a sharp flick of the finder on the glass; I had assumed it was mechanical. But the symptom/cure would also hint a a dry solder joint.
Posted By: JKD

Re: Plus speedometer - 14/03/2019 10:52

Originally Posted by barnacle
Curiously - my 16NA speedo also sticks occasionally at 60mph.

Well, it is the slowest model in the range. tongue
Posted By: 386ka

Re: Plus speedometer - 14/03/2019 12:16

Just be sure to update us on whether it was dry joint or not. I'm sure that other Coupe owners would also appreciate the info, since it seems like this is a common fault! smile
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Plus speedometer - 14/03/2019 17:02

Bad JKD, Bad! No cookies for you!

Re: Plus speedometer - 15/03/2019 15:02

So just to confirm that resoldering the speedometer works a treat and easy to do. Make sure you're soldering iron works, I had to run out to buy a new one.

Not bad at only £8.99 to fix! smile

I have highlighted the 4 points that need resoldering, my worse point was the one on the left!

click to enlarge
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Plus speedometer - 15/03/2019 17:16

Good result, well done!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK