Fiat Coupe Club UK

Rain water in the boot

Posted By: williamsdad

Rain water in the boot - 14/03/2019 15:03

Ive had water getting into the boot area for a while on the passenger side. I thought it was the lid seal so I fitted a new one but the problem persisted. I got all the carpets out at the weekend, there was a lot of condensation confusing things so i let it all dry out then waited for it to rain .. which didn't take long. I found that water is getting in an area thats a bit hard to describe... if i put my hand behind where the lights are and up into the gap above the wheel arch... that whole area is wet and water is running down into the tyre well from that point .. so nowhere near the boot lid seal. Has anyone had this happen? i cant see how water would get into this area.
Posted By: Geo_geo

Re: Rain water in the boot - 14/03/2019 17:17

Coming from the gaz tank lid on the wheel arch ?
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Rain water in the boot - 14/03/2019 20:05

Originally Posted by Geo_geo
Coming from the gaz tank lid on the wheel arch ?

Not in the UK as the passenger side is opposite from the fuel tank filler...

Have you taken off the rear card on that side to see if the rear quarter window is leaking?
Posted By: Geo_geo

Re: Rain water in the boot - 16/03/2019 17:33

Sorry for the stupid suggestion (certainly an indirect consequence of the brexit smile )
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Rain water in the boot - 18/03/2019 15:02

May still be the boot seal, we put a new one on Rosa, been fine for about three years, just started leaking, tried moving it around about six inches, no joy.
So covered the seal in Vaseline at the top edge, especially the corners, that has stopped leak, just need to figure out why.
Posted By: carmine

Re: Rain water in the boot - 18/03/2019 15:13

I don't know if I'm saying a right thing,
it could have something to do with the entry of the wiper arm.

Re: Rain water in the boot - 21/03/2019 15:18

click to enlarge

Thanks for the suggestions i'll be taking a look at suggested areas over the weekend. Here's a photo to clarify where im finding the water.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Rain water in the boot - 21/03/2019 21:47

On a dry day get an accomplice and do a hose test, start spraying lower down and working upwards with one of you in the boot with a flashlight...
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Rain water in the boot - 22/03/2019 08:16

Originally Posted by Edinburgh
On a dry day get an accomplice and do a hose test, start spraying lower down and working upwards with one of you in the boot with a flashlight...

Of no help at all, but this reminded me of my early apprentice years when I would be locked in the boot of cars looking for leaks while a grumpy mechanic would be spraying the boot lid with water in the wash bay & shouting....can you see anything yet.. shout

Re: Rain water in the boot - 25/03/2019 13:52

might go for another 'dad of the year' star and pop one of the kids in there
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK