Fiat Coupe Club UK

Phase sensor error camshaft

Posted By: denmark

Phase sensor error camshaft - 04/04/2019 12:15

Hey guys, just changed camshaft sensor and had her up and running until warm (90degree) then a tps error pop up and if I turn engine off I get a phase sensor + tps error and she will not start before next day when cold again??

Current state.. will not start at all still the 2 same errors.. also changed crank, coolant, tps and idle sensor + thermostat frown

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
Posted By: 386ka

Re: Phase sensor error camshaft - 04/04/2019 13:29

Which engine? For a 16v, I think that for starting up two sensors are most important - the crankshaft sensor and TPS.
Can you check the voltage that the TPS is giving at idle (the middle wire) is 0.5v? Also, if you have changed the crankshaft sensor, are you sure that you've set the distance to the ignition wheel correctly?
Also, you can try starting it with the crankshaft sensor disconnected, it should start in limp mode.

Re: Phase sensor error camshaft - 04/04/2019 14:55

Thanks mate, 20v n/a it should start up even with the TPS faulty and the camshaft sensor is used at ignition time. Was hoping it could be something else, checked wire from sensor behind engine today.

Well, gotta check the timing and last resort, engine out frown
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Phase sensor error camshaft - 04/04/2019 15:10

Is that the normal 20v N/A or the VIS N/A?

Why was the cam sensor changed... old one faulty or were you just doing a cambelt change and decided to replace the sensor too? New sensor could be dodgy, especially if it's one of the very cheap "copy" replacements from ebay.

With multiple sensor errors I'd be checking engine bay grounds + the ECU connector for water damage (if a 20v NA non VIS), but may just be dodgy new sensors.

If it's a non-VIS 20v I can send you a firmware chip with the cam sensor error bypassed (just PM me your address), will allow starting 50% of the time with a failed cam sensor, might be useful for diagnosis.

BTW you don't need to take engine out to change the cam belt or sensor, can be done by moving the engine around in the bay with most of the engine mounts removed.

Re: Phase sensor error camshaft - 04/04/2019 15:27

Thanks for the information Graham! Will consider your offer.

Non VIS

By Ecu connector you mean inside car behind the ecu right or?

A phase sensor by STARK, did a cambelt change yes and damaged the sensor in the process 'my bad.

With the new sensor, started fine when cold and engine sounded smoothly. But not starting anymore and with the camphase error on multiecuscan.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Phase sensor error camshaft - 04/04/2019 15:42

Yes, the main ECU connector inside car. If the windscreen seal fails water can run right down the cable and settle in the ECU socket, causing all manner of weird problems. Pull out ECU and inspect the plug + socket for water damage.

Could just be dodgy sensor, if you want to try the sensor bypass hack chip to confirm then just drop me a PM with your address and I'll stick one in the post ASAP, no charge. smile

Re: Phase sensor error camshaft - 04/04/2019 17:10

Thanks a lot for the inputs Graham and knowledge. Will try to check ecu and timing tomorrow. Awesome forum!

Re: Phase sensor error camshaft - 05/04/2019 15:06

Timing and ecu box looks on point! I have a hard time believing it's the new cam sensor!! smile
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK