Fiat Coupe Club UK

Exhaust manifold crack

Posted By: clanger

Exhaust manifold crack - 08/04/2019 15:10

Finally got the blowing exhaust manifold off the car and to my surprise as well as the cracks on each side of the turbo flange there is a crack approx. 240 degrees round the longest branch.

Is this repairable or scrap? I'm inclined to think its scrap as its such a big crack on cast iron.

Attached picture DSCN1461.jpg
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Exhaust manifold crack - 08/04/2019 20:44

Best look for a good used one I imagine.
Posted By: OnlyItalian

Re: Exhaust manifold crack - 08/04/2019 21:59

I once had an E30 325i. Renowned for manifolds cracking. Tried TIG welding but it didn't last long at all.
Posted By: szkom

Re: Exhaust manifold crack - 09/04/2019 06:11

Contact Countrycruising on here. He used to, and probably still can repair these. The fifth branch crack is a really common problem. So much so that Fiat released later designs that have a slot in the flange that mounts to the cylinder head.

Re: Exhaust manifold crack - 09/04/2019 08:34

I'm in the process of fitting another one. In my ignorance I thought the crack issue was mostly associated with the turbo flange. I don't believe this is worth repairing - I would not fit this again when welded - fit it in the skip more like.
Posted By: szkom

Re: Exhaust manifold crack - 09/04/2019 10:24

There's been a lot of positive talk of repaired manifolds over the years. I'd keep it as a spare part just in case if it was me.

When you're fitting the new manifold pay attention to the studs in the head. I'd fit new if you can as they'll have aged and gone brittle. I'd also try not to rest the manifold on the studs when you tightening it down. Try and have all the studs central in the hole and put a little upload into the turbo support. My theory is that this should allow the manifold to heat and cool a little more evenly. Hopefully prevent it cracking in the future.

Re: Exhaust manifold crack - 09/04/2019 13:35

Waiting for new studs and nuts to arrive is slowing things up at the mo. Thanks for tip re the turbo.

Got to get the rear gearbox mount changed next, I don't particularly like being under the car whilst exerting that amount of torque on those mounting bolts... sick
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Exhaust manifold crack - 09/04/2019 15:18

Repaired manifolds are fine if they are repaired properly. Motormech can repair them and we've never had one come back

Mine was repaired about 150,000 miles ago and it hasn't had an easy life since then....

Re: Exhaust manifold crack - 09/04/2019 18:08

Ok, thanks. I'll keep it then.
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: Exhaust manifold crack - 15/04/2019 14:50

WOW - good job I provided the manifold with the car, never expected it to be that bad shocked

I bought the manifold from John (Bockers) and I'm sure he said it was one he got from FCSS.

Re: Exhaust manifold crack - 15/04/2019 15:07

Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Exhaust manifold crack - 15/04/2019 15:28

Great to see all this effort put in to preserve another coupe, especially as it's a right-hooker in a "foreign" land smile
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK