Fiat Coupe Club UK

car won't start then starts next day

Posted By: SimonN

car won't start then starts next day - 12/04/2019 19:35

Hi, had a problem last night. Engine would not start. Did 10 min journey, sat for 2hrs, another 10 min journey, then sat for 20 mins, then wouldn't start. So engine not hot or cold. It would turn over on the starter motor, but no hint of a splutter or trying to catch. On turning the key I got the 'whirr-click' as normal before engaging - all lights looked normal as best I can remember. There was plenty of power in the battery - I tried starting many times. With food (going cold) and son in the car I had to leave it and get a lift.
In the morning I returned with a recovery wagon, but it started first time (as per normal).
So, extremely glad that it started but worried it could and probably would happen again. What could cause that sort of behaviour, something that 'resets' overnight.
I was initially thinking some kind of fuse or wiring problem or something to do with injectors, but cured overnight so obviously not!
Posted By: 386ka

Re: car won't start then starts next day - 12/04/2019 20:22

Have you checked the crankshaft position sensor? Sometimes when it goes bad it starts the car when cold, but when the engine is warm it would cease to work.

The no spluttering indicates that you don't have an injection and spark cycle, which also points out to CPS or maybe camshaft sensor.

Re: car won't start then starts next day - 12/04/2019 20:48

Ok thanks, I'll see if I can find it and check it out. Perhaps check the wire and the connector is Ok first.
Hey, you live in Macedonia - my father came from near Ohrid.
Posted By: dicksog

Re: car won't start then starts next day - 12/04/2019 21:03

I’m with the previous post about crankshaft sensor, mine would randomly cut out, wouldn’t restart then at some random time later would, go figure, but those are the symptoms for crankshaft sensor
Posted By: 386ka

Re: car won't start then starts next day - 12/04/2019 21:07

Oh, that's nice to hear - greetings from Macedonia! smile

Definitely check the wire and connector, but probably it's the sensor itself. The best option is to connect to your ECU and readout the errors, as you would not be able to tell just by looking at it.
Cheers!
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: car won't start then starts next day - 12/04/2019 22:40

Also had these symptoms - Barnacle's widget flashed up Crank sensor......
Posted By: barnacle

Re: car won't start then starts next day - 13/04/2019 06:53

Start at the beginning: is the fuel pump working? You should hear it (just) as you turn the ignition on but before you crank, as it pressurises the system. If not, suspect the yellow connector of death, or the fuel pump fuse or relay (above the ECU).

An issue with the crank or cam sensor would bring an injector warning light up.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: car won't start then starts next day - 13/04/2019 09:48

I had similar symptoms and the crank sensor was the culprit. Pretty sure there were no warning lights and if there was, it would be normal as the injector light is always on during start up isn't it?

Mine would start normally, then wouldn't start after a journey i.e when warm. Eventually it would after a few attempts.

Ps the sensor is easy to replace, at least it was on my non turbo. A single Allen bolt and pull out of block low down at rear of engine. Worth cleaning the hole it sits in before fitting the new one. Wire unclips from connection at top of engine.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: car won't start then starts next day - 14/04/2019 14:26

I had exactly the same problem on my 20VT. It turned out to be the crank sensor as mentioned above.
It was very frustrating and ment I didn't use the car much last year - too nervous to go too far from home! All is well now.
Posted By: daithi28

Re: car won't start then starts next day - 02/05/2019 13:57

+1 for Crank Sensor,

I also had the same issue with my 20VT back in the day with cold starts fine but warm/hot start failure. It didn't bring up an injector warning light either.

Re: car won't start then starts next day - 10/05/2019 23:17

I haven't had it since, with cold, warm or hot starts - hopefully this is not tempting fate.

I have added the sensor to my coupe 'parts to get' list - right at the top!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK