Fiat Coupe Club UK

Codes 201 and 202

Posted By: Anonymous

Codes 201 and 202 - 18/04/2019 21:09

Greetings, I managed to connect my coupe 2.0 16v to the Delphi diagnostics. It gives out two codes-sometimes 201 and sometimes 202 and diagnostic software translates it as a "phase sensor" failure. Google doesn't give out any results for these codes,besides some P0201 and P0202 which are OBD2 based,and they represent a problem with injectors. Is the so called phase sensor in the diagnostics actually a camshaft sensor? P.S I have injector light lit on the dashboard from the very first day I bought it 8 months ago,car runs fine with a bit of rough idle,but fuel consumption and from what I think,performance is not impacted(can keep up with cars like e46 330 and e60 330). Main reason I wanted to diagnose it is because recently,once a month when I am driving,car will suddenly lose all power,and if I press the the throttle it will make a sound like it is trying to pull air from a vacuum and it will start dropping rpm.I let it idle,give it a throttle slowly and after a bi, problem fixes by itself for another month.

Re: Codes 201 and 202 - 19/04/2019 05:27

Update: Same thing happened again but now car instantly stalls when I start it laugh

Re: Codes 201 and 202 - 19/04/2019 07:55

The phase sensor is the cam sensor, yes.

On the 16v turbo the cam sensor cable can be broken by contact with the cambelt, not sure if the 16v NA is the same but worth a look.

Re: Codes 201 and 202 - 19/04/2019 08:26

Ok thanks,will remove the the cam and crank sensor and clean them up,I have a small oil leak so maybe oil got on one of them. My friend had similar issue with his Tipo I.E ,fixed it by cleaning the sensor. If mine is in need of changing,do you maybe have a part number? Car is NA.

Re: Codes 201 and 202 - 19/04/2019 16:16

What is the exact cam sensor location? There are bunch of them on the right side.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Codes 201 and 202 - 19/04/2019 20:42

Cam sensor on the 16 is on the exhaust cam, battery end of the engine. It's nowhere near the belts. It's part of the distributor assembly on the NA, and in a block on its own on the turbo.

Looks like it's still available: https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/facet/2181884, or https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ca...e-fa-175/3805/15033/camshaft-sensor.html

I've never had occasion to take one to bits, so I can't say if those are the correct part.

Re: Codes 201 and 202 - 19/04/2019 22:27

Thanks, I managed to find it. Car again starts and drives normally without touching anything,will pull the sensor off tomorrow and clean it,I have a small oil leak exactly where the distributor is so that may be the cause.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Codes 201 and 202 - 20/04/2019 06:32

The cam sensor is a solid-state hall effect sensor, no moving parts; it works by magnetism, so oil shouldn't effect it. Might be worth cleaning the connector to the wiring loom, though.

Re: Codes 201 and 202 - 20/04/2019 06:58

Thanks for the info, i know its just a magnet and I also think wiring is the problem since if i disconnect it and reconnect,car will work fine again. Also,what I thought was coincedence is actually not-when car loses power,it almost always happens while cornering.Another method of fixing it is simply moving the steering wheel left and right rapidly before it stops so that car shakes a bit and with that the sensor falls back in place xD Thanks for the help

Re: Codes 201 and 202 - 20/04/2019 17:20

Ok,just checked the sensor and it seems fine, I cleaned it even thou it wasnt really dirty. After i put everything back car was stalling after reving it but it cleaned itself after a bit. Car started up fine and i drow it for a while but then suddenly it lost the throttle again. Since diagnostics report "phase sensor" failure and it appears fine, my next guess is the distributor cap which is a bit loose since small plastic part that holds it tight is broken. So do you guys know the part number for it,i think it is the same as on many other fiat cars
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK