Fiat Coupe Club UK

6 speed gearbox completely worn = garbage

Posted By: hangar1138

6 speed gearbox completely worn = garbage - 01/05/2019 19:47

hi friends

after the tragedy of the past february with cilinder head corroded

https://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum...-failure-caused-by-corrosion#Post1630065

again another severe damage happened to my car despite all my care and maintenance

I'm not sure to continue repairing and spend so many money for nothing,.... not sure also or a reliability or this brand

this is the story:

I have a second hand 6 speed gearbox with different final gear ratio (the 6th gear has the same ratio of the stock 5th gear now); the gearbox ha been istalled in feb 2015 and has around 15000 km of life; never raging drive, never trackday, never traffic light scramble, never cold engine stupid things only some healthy full foor pedal gears for fun

2 weeks ago I was on normal cruise speed (80 km/h) and suddently I heard a strong grinding noise coming from the engine; I stopped the car and the noise was still present: in particular was on in all gears and in neutral with the friction pedal relased

4 km to home I drove in this way with an incredible noise and with vibrations on the friction pedal

after home the car was towed to garage and found the gearbox completely worn, the oil level was perfect; for now I will roll back to a 5 speed gearbox (late model from a Lancia K turbo)

I really need your impression and opinions, sorry for mistake but when I write angry I hate use also google translate

now pictures of the damage

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge
Posted By: barnacle

Re: 6 speed gearbox completely worn = garbage - 02/05/2019 18:13

That's possibly not worth fixing, Hangar... I suspect that while the gearbox may have been gently used by you, it was completely thrashed by the previous owner.
Posted By: andyps

Re: 6 speed gearbox completely worn = garbage - 03/05/2019 09:13

That is very unusual wear in the end bearing - it appears to be in the middle of the rollers which would indicate that the shaft was moving a long way laterally or the cup had collapsed completely, I can't make out if that is what is shown in the final picture. Either way the gearbox casing probably has a fault I would imagine.
Posted By: hangar1138

Re: 6 speed gearbox completely worn = garbage - 03/05/2019 09:18

I forgot an important picture that shows pitting process working....

click to enlarge
Posted By: barnacle

Re: 6 speed gearbox completely worn = garbage - 03/05/2019 16:53

That's just massively worn; looks like the gear meshes have gone through the surface hardening. As I said earlier - it's seen some hard times.

I'm pretty sure I've seen comments in the past of the sixth gear idler shaft pushing itself through the end casing.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK