Fiat Coupe Club UK

Testing ignition coil 20vt le

Posted By: Anonymous

Testing ignition coil 20vt le - 06/05/2019 21:24

Hi everyone

After getting the engine back working, i have noticed the power isnt really there. My mechanic tells me there probably is a faulty ignition coil. It drives ok, but once above 3000rpm, not a lot happens, and when giving it full throttle, the car has a tendancy to need to take its breath. So need to release throttle a bit before it picks up again.

I have got a new Bosch ignition coil, but wanted to know if there is a scientific approach to knowing which coil is malfunctioning rather than just swapping one by one and testdriving?

Thanks!
Posted By: neil_r

Re: Testing ignition coil 20vt le - 07/05/2019 07:08

The traditional way if no codes are available is to let the car idle with one coil disconnected. Disconnect a good coil and the revs drop. Disconnect a "misfiring" coil and the revs rise. Not absolutely foolproof, but if the coil is bad enough to cause misfire, you will identify it.

I disconnected and connected coils with the engine off. I didn't think it was a good idea to do it with the engine running.
Posted By: MIB

Re: Testing ignition coil 20vt le - 09/05/2019 11:06

There should be 0.4 ohm resistance between the contacts (primary coil resistance). If you have a multimeter you could do this check.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Testing ignition coil 20vt le - 11/05/2019 17:46

Thanks both, will give it a go!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK