Fiat Coupe Club UK

LH Drive Headlamp Conversion

Posted By: kevin360

LH Drive Headlamp Conversion - 11/05/2019 11:46

Hi,

I am taking our LE to France to live and I need to convert the headlamps to LH drive for the purposes of French MOT / Registration requirements. Is there any easy modification or...?!

Cheers

Kevin
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: LH Drive Headlamp Conversion - 11/05/2019 12:29

Try this thread
Posted By: clanger

Re: LH Drive Headlamp Conversion - 11/05/2019 12:33

https://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum...231/re-headlights-rhd-to-lhd#Post1590231

I have just registered mine in France and will do this headlight mod this winter. With the new French ANTS registration system if you bring it over and start the on-line registration process with a UK MOT of less than 6 months old the MOT will be accepted for re-registration and you will not have to go through the French CT until your MOT expires. So, come over with a fresh MOT and you will have nearly a year to sort the headlight change. Please note; this is not a dodge or illegal it is an EU ruling intended to harmonise vehicle registration processes across the union. Obviously at some point in time (end October??) this might change for UK vehicles.

It is also worth noting that stick on headlight "beam benders" are actually legal now on the French CT, providing they do actually make the light beam pattern comply!! I have the official doc. somewhere if you want it but tbh its not really applicable to the Coupe smile

Re: LH Drive Headlamp Conversion - 11/05/2019 12:34

Thanks for that. I think that this is ok as a temporary measure, but to register the car in France needs a more permanent solution.

Re: LH Drive Headlamp Conversion - 11/05/2019 12:46

Sorry, my last reply went on after yours!

Re: LH Drive Headlamp Conversion - 11/05/2019 12:50

Thanks for that information. The modification is as I thought.

With respect to the French registration did you manage to get a certificate of conformity from the manufacturer?
Posted By: french_coupe

Re: LH Drive Headlamp Conversion - 11/05/2019 13:52

I have swapped to LHD headlights. Easy to find on EBay.fr
Cannot remember now but you may have to swap the rear lights over so the fog light is on the offside in France. This means the reverse light will change too. Easy to do by running new cables under the boot liner.
Posted By: clanger

Re: LH Drive Headlamp Conversion - 11/05/2019 13:56

Fiat France have a dedicated department for the CoC and want 220-230 euros. To be fair the V5 I had only stated the VIN and engine number and all the other details were blank!!

There is a generous guy on here called Magooagain who helped me, I am sure he would not mind if I forward you the document I used but would prefer if he chips in and says he's OK with that - give him a bit of time to spot this thread.

Re: LH Drive Headlamp Conversion - 12/05/2019 12:24

Ok, thanks
Posted By: magooagain

Re: LH Drive Headlamp Conversion - 12/05/2019 15:36

No problem using the document . There are a couple of Facebook pages where you can find parts in France for coupes. Both pages are well known and the guys there are a good bunch.

Pieces pour Fiat coupe. And pieces coupiste.

There is also a guy on here and the FB page offering refurbed headlights and has some lhd ones. But expensive.

You should find some easy and cheap on those French pages.

Give me a shout if any of you need help.

Re: LH Drive Headlamp Conversion - 12/05/2019 15:44

Thanks,

So, do I really need to pay Fiat 200 + euros for this piece of paper ? Or is there a more "sensible and fairer" way to overcome this?
Posted By: magooagain

Re: LH Drive Headlamp Conversion - 12/05/2019 17:07

Clanger will forward you the document you need and guide you through it I gather from what he has said above.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK