Fiat Coupe Club UK

repair cable bonnet

Posted By: carmine

repair cable bonnet - 11/07/2019 21:36

Hello everyone.
I also came across the broken cable that should open the engine bonnet.
First of all I would like to say that this is not a guide, and I don't want to replace any other guide but I want to be helpful with new photos to those like me who happened to suffer with the bonnet closed.

IM.1 / 2.Here is the original cable, it measures a length of 2 meters.
click to enlarge click to enlarge

IM3I found this substitute bicycle cable 2 meters long, the same 1.5mm thickness I think.click to enlarge

IM4 I took this protection and
click to enlarge IM5 a cable clamp, total price around € 5. click to enlarge

IM6.here are the tools needed to open the bonnet - a large 20/22 mm flat-blade screwdriver and a piece of metal to pry the same thickness as the screwdriver approximately.
click to enlarge

IM7 you can see indicated where to lever with the tools, and exactly the bonnet closing spring.
click to enlarge

IM8Shows how to proceed to leverage.click to enlarge

Of course you will have to access the locking mechanism through the front grille IM9click to enlarge
fortunately my front grid model allowed me to access the interior without breaking it.

IM10 That's where the cable hooks up.click to enlarge

IM11 This is the hole in the sheath from which the cable arrives.click to enlarge

IM12 Here the screws are removed to dismantle the whole mechanism, I decided not to take it apart and do the work to re-assemble; although a bit hard, with a little patience I succeeded.
click to enlarge

IM13 (does not exist, my mistake, sorry smile

IM14 This and the other end of the guani where the thread passes. inside the cockpit above the lever to open
IM15 click to enlarge click to enlarge
To insert the cable without difficulty I recommend removing the rubber cap shown in IM14.

IM16 and shown do enter the cable in the lever, the original cable was inserted by the hole (red arrow) and then moved to the slot (yellow arrow).
click to enlarge

IM17/18 Here is the new cable inserted, leave about 10 centimeters of cable if you have one of 2 meters like mine (if you find one longer, then better).
click to enlarge click to enlarge

After passing the cable through the most complicated part arrives, you will have to be able to hook the cable to the release spring in the motor.

IM19 I patiently managed to insert the cable into the eyelet with the metal guard and used the old cable stop.
click to enlarge

IM20 After having finished stretching the wire from inside the car, put the wire inside the lever, put the lever in the normal position and insert the cable stop as close as possible to the base of the lever, tightly close the clamp, close the hood and try if the unlocking functions.
click to enlarge

I hope I was helpful.
Thank you.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: repair cable bonnet - 12/07/2019 12:05

Very concise indeed carmine & good photos exact same bike cable & procedure as others have done. thumb
Posted By: Serg1

Re: repair cable bonnet - 12/07/2019 17:52

Very helpful. One job on my list of things to do, only difference I need to replace the outer sleeve as well. Any advise from anyone would be most helpful.

Re: repair cable bonnet - 12/07/2019 20:51

Thank you.
I like to participate by being able to help.
The forum has always helped me.
Only those who own a coupe can understand certain things.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: repair cable bonnet - 12/07/2019 23:08

Great work carmine with new insight given by your pics thumb

I hope you don't mind I've made a few adjustments to your post to make it a bit easier to read smile

Re: repair cable bonnet - 12/07/2019 23:45

Thanks for the improvements Edinburgh
Posted By: Possum

Re: repair cable bonnet - 13/07/2019 07:35

I've also used a short piece of bike cable on the boot release from the rear right hand side external rear key release. It worked a treat and was easy to thread through the existing "outer".
Posted By: Kelv27

Re: repair cable bonnet - 25/11/2021 03:12

Thank you for your contribution Carmine. I have added this into the How To section HERE

One thing I would like to add though.. You don't need to snip off the 'bullet' end from the new bicycle cable. You could use it as an anchor at the lever end rather than putting another clamp/anchor as a new cable end.

Re: repair cable bonnet - 25/11/2021 07:37

I cut the missile because I had to pull the wire harder on the side of the hood to be able to slice the knot, then push it back in.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK