Fiat Coupe Club UK

Squeaky Windows!

Posted By: JLow75

Squeaky Windows! - 19/07/2019 17:49

Both my front windows are 'squeaking' very bad when fully up in the door frame (this isn't something that has just happened, it's become progressively worse over 3/4 years) it's now to the point where it's driving me crazy! and I find I have to open them even in Winter & wet weather!. if you open them slightly it quietens them down - but not much

I assume this is because there is more play in the plastic bushes that hold the glass onto the mechanism? and whilst the 'play' is quite bad its not horrendous in comparison to other far newer cars that don't have this problem.

Has anyone else has this? if so what did you do to quieten them down? if it is the bushes are they still available new? (or a better aftermarket option?)

Also my door cards are creaking too - didn't someone a good few years ago put a long detailed post on how to cure all the Coupe rattles & squeaks? if so I would like to find that.

I'd gladly pay good money for someone to 'de-rattle' my Coupe!

Thanks in advance
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Squeaky Windows! - 29/07/2019 12:40

When you say windows are "Squeaking" - its a bit unusual. Usually you can have wind/whistle-and that can come from the wing mirror, unclipping from the inside will reveal hex bolts you can tighten up if loose (not too much as they will shear the old plastic fittings!) Also old/worn seals to the window, and even worn door rubber seals can all add to a whistle/noise. But squeaking- usually only if something is wrong with the window regulator as the window raises/lowers.

Door Cards creaking / coupes rattles and squeaks. Nothing rocket science about this -the coupe suffers from the 90's curse of cheap plastic- and rattles and squeaks. With a spare hour+, and a good small and medium set of flat head and Phillips screw drivers and a set of Alan Keys, methodically go around, carefully prising off the plastic covering caps on the door card, roof trim, set trim etc etc - and carefully make sure everything is nipped up tightish (again avoid breaking the plastic-all too easy to do if you go mad dog at it). If you want you can Loctite them.

If you then get some small felt furniture/chair pads - the type you put on the base of your furniture and place one on the door, where it would rest against the dash board and one on the dash board-where it would touch to door- vast vast improvement! Same if you put one on the passenger rear grab handles (the source of a lot of noise!)

I re-did mine recently - and it makes the coupe feel much quieter! A nice, cheap and easy job!

Just a rattle from the original radio for me to track down and to sort!

Good luck,

MM
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Squeaky Windows! - 29/07/2019 14:18

This comprehensive how-to is maybe what you're referring to, buried in the How-to index under "interior"
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Squeaky Windows! - 29/07/2019 14:30

I tried to find that quickly Edinburgh and failed! Glad you dug it out!

Re: Squeaky Windows! - 29/07/2019 17:48

Thanks all,

yes deffo Windows, I suppose 'creaking' would be a better description. it only happens when fully shut - open them a fraction & it decreases slightly, open them half way and it dissapears
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Squeaky Windows! - 29/07/2019 21:14

Have you tried talcum powder in the frame channels?
Posted By: 1st_things_1st

Re: Squeaky Windows! - 30/07/2019 10:28

Could it be the rubber / plastic window frame surrounds are hardening or cracking. You could try olive oil / baby oil / ACF 50 or similar which may help with suppleness of the rubber. Could silicone spray (lightly done) in the window guide channels also help?

Re: Squeaky Windows! - 30/07/2019 12:38

only thing I've tried is Silicone lubricant in the guide channels & round the frame, didn't do anything. Door card is coming off tomorrow morning so I can have a better look
Posted By: Kelv27

Re: Squeaky Windows! - 31/07/2019 07:24

The rubber window frame around the door is just glued on to the door frame. If this is loose, it can give you squeaks and creaks.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK