Fiat Coupe Club UK

Cam Phase Sensor fault

Posted By: snoops73

Cam Phase Sensor fault - 29/07/2019 20:50

My 97 20v N/A has had intermittent starting for some months and now won't start at all. Fault confirmed on sykes acr4 tester as cam sensor fault.wiring to plug all checks out as well.
I'm looking for a cam fault hack chip for ecu to try and move the car to the garage for work.
Just read a thread from April about one that 'GrahamL' was suggesting one of his or if anyone else knows of how to get one.woild be much appreciated.

Cheers
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cam Phase Sensor fault - 29/07/2019 22:00

Drop me a PM with your address and I'll stick one in the post tomorrow. smile

Or if you're in a hurry could possibly arrange pickup/dropoff tomorrow.

Re: Cam Phase Sensor fault - 30/07/2019 10:57

Alright Graham, that's fantastic.
Good man,cheers. Will PM you the address,no rush btw.

Re: Cam Phase Sensor fault - 30/07/2019 11:25

No probs, will stick a chip in the post this afternoon.
Posted By: Makkadiamond

Re: Cam Phase Sensor fault - 01/08/2019 08:32

Try cleaning behind the camshaft sprocket over the years it clogged up with debris which collects on the magnetic sensor

Use emery paper to clean the sprocket have a vacuum cleaner With electronic cleaner at hand

Report back your progress

Best
Posted By: aaronmac

Re: Cam Phase Sensor fault - 01/08/2019 13:19

Oh that seems like a great shout at getting her going.....itbwas starting OK for me, but it has been stood under some trees the last few years.... Crud all over...where I would I be looking to find the sprocket? Ha, actually and the sensor also please?
Posted By: aaronmac

Re: Cam Phase Sensor fault - 09/08/2019 17:54

Hi mate, did you have any joy at getting her started?

Re: Cam Phase Sensor fault - 05/09/2019 10:24

Hi people,sorry for no reply here,not been on for ages.
Graeme L sent out hack chip right away and car starts no bother now. If not first time then short turn overs until it does.Never taken more than 4 attempts.Big thanks to Graham for coming to the rescue!
Interesting point makkadiamond about the debris build up possibly causing it-well worth a try to save more major work. I will try this asap.
Cheers guys for your interest.

Scott
Posted By: Skiday

Re: Cam Phase Sensor fault - 05/09/2019 15:24

I went for a Magneti Marelli at £28.98 (ebay 153607939995) but the cheat chip is there too for £14.99 (ebay 111853267144). So where and how do you fit the chip?

Re: Cam Phase Sensor fault - 05/09/2019 15:36

Originally Posted by Skiday
So where and how do you fit the chip?

It just goes in the ECU like a normal firmware chip. Note that it's not intended as a longterm alternative to replacing a broken cam sensor, it's just to get the car going in case of a breakdown or to get you to a garage. When it doesn't start fuel is being injected during the power (rather than intake) stroke so unburned fuel will be going into the exhaust, not good for the cat if done repeatedly.

Re: Cam Phase Sensor fault - 05/09/2019 18:20

Just to clarify to all my 20v is currently off the road for a fair bit of work and like Graham says really only intended as a short term fix to allow car to be moved around etc.

Re: Cam Phase Sensor fault - 17/12/2019 11:18

Just a wee update on this post. I tried the above suggestion of cleaning around sensor,sprocket etc using contact cleaner at sensor as well but problem still the same. Sensor definitely needs replaced.
Was worth a try anyway-cheers.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK