Fiat Coupe Club UK

Overheating

Posted By: Anonymous

Overheating - 03/08/2019 13:50

Greetings, is my 2.0 16v overheating? Here is a photo of the temp while driving in traffic for 3 minutes https://prnt.sc/onuuv3 In normal cruising conditions, temp is around 80-85c now in summer. I checked the fans and they do come on. As soon as I stopped the car I went on to check what is the situation with the coolant hoses-all of them are hot and luckily not pressurized,I mean they are a bit harder to press but I suppose that is normal .
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Overheating - 03/08/2019 17:27

Update: I think the head broke, there was just a small hiss when I started opening the cap while car was still hot, but something told me to smell the insides of the bottle-kinda gasoline-ish smell but it could just be an old coolant
Update 2: I added 1.5l of water and car drank it all. I continued to fill it up all the way to the cap so I can observe any bubbles or foam. After starting the car and letting it warm up on idle,there was not a single bubble. I observed when it will turn on the fan and it looks like the gauge is not faulty-it turns on at around 85-87c as it is supposed to do. But now after adding water,it won't go past that temperature,also I started reving it a bit and there were still no bubbles, but as the thermostat opened and water started to expand from the heat,water started seeping out. Car runs fine now with normal temperature but still, it doesn't delete the fact that 1.5l of water was missing-and that the car was running at 110c for quiet some time today.
Posted By: Yann

Re: Overheating - 04/08/2019 07:21

Check around the coolant cap if there is a white deposit, the cap tends to fail so it may leak from there ; but 1.5 L seem a bit too much, maybe it is leaking from somewhere else.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Overheating - 04/08/2019 08:08

Try pressure testing the coolant system when it's cold.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Overheating - 04/08/2019 11:48

It could be that the coolant level has ben low for a while, and a sudden hot spell caused you to notice. The coolant tank caps can stop working properly (not maintain pressure and allow coolant to leak down the overflow pipe) so I would replace that as a matter of routine.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK