Fiat Coupe Club UK

Engine Oil in Intercooler

Posted By: williamsdad

Engine Oil in Intercooler - 05/08/2019 09:54

Whilst servicing my 20v Turbo at the weekend I noticed theres a load of oil dripping out of the bottom far end of the intercooler (end nearest the wheel arch) … I dont have any other symptoms of a turbo issue … but was wondering if oil can just naturally just build up in there or is it wallet out time again ?
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Engine Oil in Intercooler - 05/08/2019 11:38

Originally Posted by williamsdad
Whilst servicing my 20v Turbo at the weekend I noticed theres a load of oil dripping out of the bottom far end of the intercooler (end nearest the wheel arch) … I dont have any other symptoms of a turbo issue … but was wondering if oil can just naturally just build up in there or is it wallet out time again ?

You normally see a light misting of oil inside the smic, more then that would indicate it's passing through from either the compressor turbo seals or the none return valve at the back of the engine.
Posted By: carmine

Re: Engine Oil in Intercooler - 06/08/2019 07:49

Hi, I'm also interested in the discussion, having also found small traces of oil before the throttle body.
I had this problem before with a turbo that leaked oil externally, but thinking that it also lost inside.
After replacing the turbo and cleaning the throttle valve and the duct, after about a year I found traces of oil in the duct and in the throttle body.
I think it's a problem that comes from the oil vapor storage container.
I would be interested in understanding how it works and whether it is possible to do maintenance or examine this non-return valve.
The problem is that I don't know where to start and I realized that the container is in a somewhat difficult place.
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Engine Oil in Intercooler - 06/08/2019 14:11

Non return valves are not expensive. And easy fit.

First place to start? And if the oil returns...then its the more expensive option to consider/check?

Regards

MM

Re: Engine Oil in Intercooler - 07/08/2019 19:06

Someone could tell me some links for an NRV (not return valve)
I have the number but I can't find it on the internet

Re: Engine Oil in Intercooler - 08/08/2019 12:25

Yes same question really ... where might one aquire a non return valve? Alternative Autos? and where is it located on a 20v turbo ... I consulted my 'coupe fiat' book but it doesnt seem to be mentioned.

Re: Engine Oil in Intercooler - 08/08/2019 12:36

ah ... answered my question by checking properly .. this thread seems to hold all the right info https://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1508628/Searchpage/2/Main/95710/Words/%2Bnrv/Search/true/re-oil-breather-nrv#Post1508628

i wonder if a universal nrv would be ok ? like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8MM-5-16-ONE-WAY-ALUMINIUM-NON-RETURN-CHECK-VALVE-PETROL-DIESEL-OIL-WATER/331459029338?fits=Car+Make%3AFiat%7CModel%3ACoupe&hash=item4d2c7f695a:g:2bEAAOSwzrxUw2lF#vi-ilComp

Re: Engine Oil in Intercooler - 08/08/2019 13:30

I had also found the same discussion.
I took the number from there.
But I found nothing.
The valve you found on eBay looks great.
We are waiting for some advice if it is ok I have not.
For the price it would cost, it would be ideal to first change it and clean the NRV pipes and the small filter / brush that is near the head.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK