Fiat Coupe Club UK

Rear fog light not working....

Posted By: aaronmac

Rear fog light not working.... - 09/08/2019 17:45

Hi all, back working on my 20vt getting her up to speed for the national car test (mot). The rear fog won't work (with headlights on).

No light on the dash along with no rear fog obviously smile I checked amd could feel no relay pulsing... I then checked the VIS coupe I have and the relay that pulses is missing from the turbo!

I put that relay into the turbo and it pulses now on pressing the switch, but still no dash light illuminating or fogs.... Very strange.... Any ideas?

Re: Raer fog light not working.... - 09/08/2019 17:50

In case it's some weird wiring issue that would be a pain to fix, I also bought a fused fog light kit with relay... If all else fails it will be taking up residence in the coin holder slot, its actually almost a perfect fit and should look stock with a bit of milling on the corners..

I tested it all and it works great, however I'd like to know the easiest amd shortest route from the transmission tunnel to the fog... I already have the centre console and handbrake tunnel removed as I'm refurbing them... Ideally I'd like to go under the carpet at the handbrake and into the boot but not sure how difficult this would be?

Re: Raer fog light not working.... - 09/08/2019 20:21

Fits nicely now.... Any help on the wiring path back to the fog light, or ideas on why my original fog switch isn't working would be greatly appreciated...

Attached picture IMG_20190809_200747_compress11.jpg
Posted By: adam16vt

Re: Raer fog light not working.... - 09/08/2019 20:24

Have you actually tested the fog light switch?

Re: Raer fog light not working.... - 09/08/2019 20:26

Yep switched that 3 button unit with the vis unit and no go... Also replaced wihh a brand new switch from amazon UK of all places and still no dice.... Strange that its pulsing the relay but no symbol on dash, and yes, I'm trying with the headlights on.... So annoying!
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Raer fog light not working.... - 09/08/2019 22:49

Originally Posted by aaronmac
Fits nicely now.... Any help on the wiring path back to the fog light, or ideas on why my original fog switch isn't working would be greatly appreciated...

Feed it rearwards under the carpet having removed the rear seat squab (2 x M6 hex bolts), you'll easily route it into the boot.

Er, you "have" checked the fog light bulb?

Re: Raer fog light not working.... - 09/08/2019 23:18

Cheers, that's great to know it'll be that easy, saves alot of headache, thanks...

Yeah I've switched in and out a few diff bulbs... Find it strange that it wouldn't illuminate the dash light for it, I wonder if there is an earthing issue from the relay to the dash/fog light or a connection is corroded... I don't really know much about behind the scenes car electrics tbh.....
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Raer fog light not working.... - 10/08/2019 08:09

Be aware for the MOT test the dash light must eliminate, also did you check the relay?

Re: Raer fog light not working.... - 11/08/2019 02:11

There actually was no relay there, I stuck the fog relay from the vis I have, but no joy, it clicks but nothing.. What else does that relay control out of interest?

Thankfully the NCT here requires that the dash light illuminates or the instrument switch lights to show it's powered on, which this one does, along with a near identical red back light.. I'll upload a pic when I wire it up when the rain stops lashing down....

Re: Rear fog light not working.... - 11/08/2019 02:22

This the lil kit and I'm using a piggy back fuse from the dips or fulls... Those piggy back fuses are well handy, how long are they around?!

Also has me thinking, when I hopefully fix the stock switch/wiring, or pass the test and wait for another year, what could I connect that switch up to in the boot or rear shelf.... Something useful or cool/quirky?!!

Attached picture Screenshot_20190811-031553_crop_50.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Rear fog light not working.... - 11/08/2019 08:41

There are different fuse box variants between 20vt's, never mind between a VIS and 20vt, so you can't assume anything is in the same place.

Probably just the relay, if you can find it, assuming that the fog light ever worked at all.

Re: Rear fog light not working.... - 11/08/2019 13:17

Yeah sometimes I wonder is it whatever they had to closest to hand in the factory..... I've never seen it work anyway! Hopefully it's something simply... If anyone has a 1998 20vt that would be kind enough to locate their relay and share, I'd appreciate it...

Re: Rear fog light not working.... - 11/08/2019 15:09

Do you have access to the schematics? You said you tested it all....so there is power to the lamp....

Re: Rear fog light not working.... - 11/08/2019 15:14

No I don't unfortunately, Internet is terrible here, only patchy 3G...

I didn't stick a multimeter to it yet but tried 4 bulbs and no go.....although all 4 are probably faulty... I have a different lamp connector I'll swap in..
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Rear fog light not working.... - 11/08/2019 15:19

Ah OK, if fog lamp has never worked then maybe the relay was just missing then, possibly removed by previous owner trying to fix the same problem even.

Re: Rear fog light not working.... - 11/08/2019 22:37

Originally Posted by aaronmac
No I don't unfortunately, Internet is terrible here, only patchy 3G...

I didn't stick a multimeter to it yet but tried 4 bulbs and no go.....although all 4 are probably faulty... I have a different lamp connector I'll swap in..

Well I'm no spark but you should check there is current actually going to it...

And you have checked the fuse (in the bank above the accelerator pedal) which "should" be no. 11, 7.5 amp? It controls both the lamp and the warning lamp....
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK