Fiat Coupe Club UK

20vt Suspension Shocks

Posted By: Dave_Saint

20vt Suspension Shocks - 10/08/2019 19:21

Hi,

I'm currently restoring a Coupe 20vt, and would like to replace the shocks.

I'm not looking to lower or upgrade it, just restore it to factory or OEM equivalent.

What suspension makes are recommended (or should be avoided(!)) for the 20vt?

Thanks,
Dave
Posted By: Submariner

Re: 20vt Suspension Shocks - 12/08/2019 06:19

I went for Monroe, all been good, well as good as the front suspension can be on the Coupe.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: 20vt Suspension Shocks - 12/08/2019 14:10

For a while I went for Bilstein shocks but found them too hard & crashy for my needs, I'm also led to believe that other sport shocks are pretty crashhy to. I'm also on Monroe. I find them good.
Posted By: clanger

Re: 20vt Suspension Shocks - 12/08/2019 16:52

I'm on Bilstein's fitted by the previous owner (Barmybob). I love them but I'm fortunate to have well surfaced roads around me, on the occasions I'm on poorer surfaces I do find them unforgiving and can understand where jimboy above is coming from.

Re: 20vt Suspension Shocks - 12/08/2019 19:51

Thanks for the replies, this is much appreciated.

I'm intrigued about the Bilstein's that Clanger and Jimboy mentioned, as the only ones I can find are the B6's, and they currently only seem to be available for the rear axle.

Are the front Bilstein's still available? Although I'm assuming they're an upgrade, rather than OEM?

Maybe with the roads where we are, Monroe's might be the better choice!

Thanks again.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: 20vt Suspension Shocks - 13/08/2019 13:26

If you're interested, I have a pair of near-new 20VT standard front springs available - they are still completely shiny black - no surface rust at all
Posted By: Submariner

Re: 20vt Suspension Shocks - 14/08/2019 18:04

With the crater filled roads that blight the UK from lack of maintenance and repair, if you travel a lot on A and B roads I would not go anywhere near anything other than OE spec for suspension on the Coupe.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 20vt Suspension Shocks - 14/08/2019 20:30

Are the VT springs much different (? Firmer) than NA springs?
Are they interchangeable?
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: 20vt Suspension Shocks - 15/08/2019 09:22

I have swapped out the springs between 20v variants with no discernable effects
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 20vt Suspension Shocks - 15/08/2019 12:36

Originally Posted by BBR
I have swapped out the springs between 20v variants with no discernable effects

Thanks - that's handy to know
Posted By: barnacle

Re: 20vt Suspension Shocks - 15/08/2019 18:05

AFAIK the rear springs are all close to each other. The front springs have different rates for different engines, whether it's the turbo, and whether aircon is fitted. A 20vt with aircon is the heaviest engine.

Re: 20vt Suspension Shocks - 15/08/2019 19:35

That's interesting to know.

I did wonder whether the 20vt used different shocks, as I've seen adverts for front shocks that state suitability for various Coupe's, but didn't mention the 20vt.
Shame though!

I'm assuming mono-tube (such as Monroe) would be better than the twin-tube design (such as TRW)?

Thanks all.
Posted By: wink

Re: 20vt Suspension Shocks - 16/08/2019 08:50

The Bilstein B6 are no longer available for the front. At present it seems like Monroe are the only damper option unless you want to consider coilovers.
Posted By: clanger

Re: 20vt Suspension Shocks - 16/08/2019 12:09

They are still listed here at 165 euros a pop:

link to parts
However, knowing how it works over here it I would not order on-line until I had positive confirmation by mail that they actually are in-stock. Lots of other places in France only list having the rears so either this site has made a "mistake" or they really do have some old stock.
Posted By: Rob40

Re: 20vt Suspension Shocks - 16/08/2019 13:40

Kayaba Excel-G shocks still available from Spring Loaded

https://www.spring-loaded.co.uk/search.php?nobox=true&scat=&stext=Fiat+Coupe&pg=3
Posted By: Rob40

Re: 20vt Suspension Shocks - 16/08/2019 13:43

Type Fiat Coupe in search bar and you'll find loads of parts, not just for suspension
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK